BigFooty's Top 50 Book List

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
:D

Emberto Eco has 2 entries with a total of 46 votes.

Re: Pratchett I made an error in my post above, he actually had 5 entries. Fixed that now. He had 60 total votes. Actually, I was surprised by lack of Pratchett love on here. I think having so many books worked against him.

I think its a case of many have their own favourite Pratchett spread across his range. With someone like Stephen King, who also has a sizable collection, there is always the clear favourites in The Stand, It, and Dark Tower.

Disappointing that I am Legend didn't make the top 50 but 3 mediocre film adaptions haven't exactly screamed 'Read Me!'

:D

Emberto Eco has 2 entries with a total of 46 votes.

Re: Pratchett I made an error in my post above, he actually had 5 entries. Fixed that now. He had 60 total votes. Actually, I was surprised by lack of Pratchett love on here. I think having so many books worked against him.

I think the other thing with Pratchett is that he is probably lower down the list so gets fewer votes per entry. He is easily my favourite author to read, and I suspect he could be many peoples favourite author without them putting one of his books into their top ten.

I thought that this was a great idea and the list is a very eclectic one, and one which is probably very representative of the community as a whole, and not just BF contributors, with the clear exception being number 50 on the list. Matthew Reilly, are you ****ing kidding; he writes some of the most puerile crap ever put to paper. But then again that is just my opinion. Notwithstanding that, you have done an excellent job, congrats.

placebo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If I was offering an honest critique of the list, I'd think it's pretty terrible (aside from Conrad, Nabokov, Tolstoy, McCarthy and a few others), but it was also what I expected, when factoring in that there's probably not a lot of people around these parts with a deep interest in classical literature (which also explains the lack of poetry and drama on the list) and there's a lot of casual readers around these parts around here I'm assuming as well. There's nothing wrong with that of course, it differs to my own personal tastes (literature being my favourite and most passionate interest), so it's to be expected.

I was glad to see the amount of voters though, as this sub-forum is always so quiet and kudos to fpcookie putting it together.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the other thing with Pratchett is that he is probably lower down the list so gets fewer votes per entry. He is easily my favourite author to read, and I suspect he could be many peoples favourite author without them putting one of his books into their top ten.
Nope- never really got into Pratchett. Tried to read Book 1 of Discworld but it just didn't interest me.
Might try again sometime.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Thanks again, fpcookie - for pulling all this together and for all the little "extras" at the end.
Having eyeballed the voting early on in search of something (can't recall what it was), I was sure that 'To Kill a Mockibgbird' was going to top the voting and I was so disappointed. :( Reading that LOTR was #1 made me happy.

I was impressed by the extensive range of books that were voted on- many of the classics, in particular, I've not read since I was a teenager. Hopefully there will be a lot of new reading material gained from looking at the lists of others who have similar taste to ourselves. I know I've got a few good leads already. :D

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Considering how quiet the book thread is, this was quite an achievement. I would think if it was slotted into the General Discussion thread that it would be even bigger. I hope to see it again.

Back