Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluenGoldEagle

Debutant
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Who are some of the biggest cheap shot artists to play the game? Those who always picked their targets and 'boom' cleaned them up while they weren't looking/had their head over the ball. That sort of thing. Or players who you think were just thugs.

I'll kick things off:

Byron Pickett: One of the worstt snipers I have ever seen play the game. Very few of his hits were tough.

Campbell Brown: Do I need to say anything? Biggest faux tough guy I have ever seen and always went for the cheap shots.

The Carr Brothers: Every time I saw them play they were lining people up who had their head over the ball or weren't looking.

Dean Solomon: That hit on Ling said it all really

Who do you think?

Going to say Lloyd before anyone gets carried away about his last game (for you hawks supporters out there) :p.

Last weekend reminded me that SJ doesnt mind a cheapy where he can get them

mLeeVl.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could get interesting.

For me a sniper is someone that liked to dish it out but when it came their turn they tended to avoid it.

Some of the names form the 70's and 80's like Mathews, Brereton and Dipper from the hawks dished it out but they sure took their fair share of punishment also.

Even Campbell Brown, as big an silly sod he was, put his body on the line for the team when it came his turn.

Obvious bias but Lloyd fits the description. Loved leading with knees and elbows etc but liked to avoid it when fire was returned (partly because he was a FF).

Never liked how Pickett use to run past the ball to line guys up either.

Chris Lewis was a piece of s**t on the footy field, bit, gouged, cheap shots, did it all.
No respect for him.

Like Robbie Muir, a lot of it was in response to racial abuse which was considered acceptable for the time

I get the feeling the op never watched footy before the year 2000 and is taking the modern definition of "sniper" and trying to apply it to players who played yesterdays game. Needless to say, that game was completely different. I think what you call sniping back then was honestly the complete opposite, players would aim to take people out and they'd be encouraged by their team mates, coaches to do it. It was tactical. Sure it was dirty but it was tactical. Sniping implies the guy is dirty and looked to injure people at their weakest moments - whilst getting them while their guards were down was no doubt a tactic, I don't think it was as malicious as you think. It was just footy.

I laugh at people who say brown, yet say archer was one of the most courageous

Those 2 played exactly the same way, could dish it out, but could also take it

Brown really only ever belted Lloyd, and let's face it, Lloyd wasn't a clean skin

Are you serious?

His dog act on Winderlich is what set off the entire "line in the sand".

Byron Pickett: One of the worstt snipers I have ever seen play the game. Very few of his hits were tough.

A 178cm flanker who took on all comers with the hip'n'shoulder.

No elbows, no king hits, was prepared to use his body like a battering ram. Got cited what, twice? You don't know what 'tough' is.

Dermott Brereton.
Just ask the likes of Tony Free, Chris McDermott, Mark Yeates, & Rayden Tallis to name a few. All cheap shots on unsuspecting players.
The way he carries on as a commentator about how tough he was "back in his day" and what he would of done is BS. Being a king hit merchant isn't tough, in fact it's the complete opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back