Bill Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

He missed a goal from the goal square - which was quite possible with his kicking technique

Actually i can remember Bill Ryan and Peter Walker did a comedy skit on TV - playing on the Ryan and Walker combination - which put the fear of god into everyone at a particular time in the 1960s

Actually he did. Against Collingwood in '67 he kicked the ball into the man on the mark when Geelong were 5 points down. Luckily the umpire pinged terry Waters for going over the mark. With Ryan's second shot he did not miss and the Cats won the game.

His high marking was absolutely terrific to watch.
I would have liked him to handpass it a bit more, though.
Actually, somewhere around 100% of the time.:D

PS even when he was in the goalsquare.
Identical CV to #3 Peter Johnson

Actually he did. Against Collingwood in '67 he kicked the ball into the man on the mark when Geelong were 5 points down. Luckily the umpire pinged terry Waters for going over the mark. With Ryan's second shot he did not miss and the Cats won the game.
Great win,rough nite for me that's the night I cleaned up the telegraph poll out side the Petrel Hotel on the corner of Pako and Britannia on the way to Surf City Stomp,blacking out half of West Geelong,so i'm told.:drunk::(

Great win,rough nite for me that's the night I cleaned up the telegraph poll out side the Petrel Hotel on the corner of Pako and Britannia on the way to Surf City Stomp,blacking out half of West Geelong,so i'm told.:drunk::(

You must be a real old fossil. I was just a kid at primary school at the time.

He left Geelong for South Port.
He was my favourite player.
But I'm over it now.

Bastard!!!

Southport? Are you sure?

He was captain/coach of Cooparoo ( I was meant to play on him in one of my first games for Morningside,, but he withdrew injured…..whew) but I wasn't aware he went to Southport.

The Gold Coast competition was way behind the QAFL standard in those days, so I'm surprised he went to Southport direct from Geelong.

Btw…he was a top bloke…who just loved his footy.

That Peter Walker was alright, eh?
Like the way Billy aimed for goal and it landed in the hands of Gareth Andrews, who almost certainly would have kicked it out of bounds.
Had the same thoughts about Walker myself, Fred. Let's hope his grandson is able to carry on the family association with the GFC for many years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Southport? Are you sure?

He was captain/coach of Cooparoo ( I was meant to play on him in one of my first games for Morningside,, but he withdrew injured…..whew) but I wasn't aware he went to Southport.

The Gold Coast competition was way behind the QAFL standard in those days, so I'm surprised he went to Southport direct from Geelong.

Btw…he was a top bloke…who just loved his footy.
He played for both, Cooparoo first then Southport,I think he was pulling your leg when he told you he was rooted he played heaps of good footy on the Coast.

Those were the days - when a lot of cats players seemed to have no necks. Was that a specific recruiting focus ;)or just the way the hoops looked on old TV ?
Great player Bill, but like a lot of his contemporaries went missing for long periods of the game.

Last edited:
Those were the days - when a lot of cats players seemed to have no necks. Was that a specific recruiting focus or just the way the hoops looked on old TV ?
Great player Bill, but like a lot of his contemporaries went missing for long periods of the game.
The jumpers had lapels
087619-fred-flanagan.jpg

Then first of 2 high flying No.26's at Geelong that I saw (Jumping Jack Hawkins was the other)

Yep, a bit of a tradition now at Geelong.

T.Hawkins, B. Stoneham, J. Hawkins, W.Ryan

I cannot recall some of the other more recent No.26's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back