Bill Shorten - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

John Button is one of the unsung heroes of Oz politics. Brave man to take on the luddites in his own party (ditto Bob Hawke for going along with it)

That's crap. Plenty of mining companies have had to pay for their own infrastructure.

If they are so "cost positive" why do they need subsidies? Lol at you calling opponents ideologues.

Do you think financiers who wouldn't touch them with a barge pole ex subsides are ideologues?

Staggering misology

A tax deduction can only be claimed against profits. Vastly different to a subsidy which is paid irrespective of profits.

Its not bloody difficult to grasp the distinction, though one is hardly surprised you cant. What is it with fanbois and finance?
Referencing John Button does not address car manufacturing and sales were highest in 1970 despite the high AUD.
Unlike you to misdirect.

I can't stand Abbott, but I can't stand Shorten either. Both lack a clear vision and direction for the country and are more interested in point scoring. I'd prefer Turnball and Albanese in their respective parties. Interesting to note that the members voted for Albanese and the factions for Shorten. Enough said.
And this is Labor's biggest problem.
They have no power to criticize the Libs for being beholden to big business/IPA (noting the IPA, supposed libertarians, run screaming when the word "disclosure" is uttered) when they ignore their own membership just to keep factional/union powerbrokers happy.

Shorten has tried to play small target politics but it's just made him look weak, indecisive, and in no way the alternative PM.

Comrade, why has the current one seemingly uncovered lots of shenanigans whereas Cole seemingly didn't?

I think the Bikey connections are the most disturbing - I think that is a relatively recent phenomenon

Referencing John Button does not address car manufacturing and sales were highest in 1970 despite the high AUD.
Unlike you to misdirect.

That's the point!! The high AUD wasn't the primary reason for auto industry decline. It was too high a cost basis, primarily due to unions.

Wrong, off you go, back to Croydon you soulless, curtain-twitching loser.

Lol, a balatron who cant grasp the difference between a subsidy and a tax deduction attempting to call someone a loser.

What's the matter old boy, finding the Arts degree a bit tougher than you thought it would be?

I think the Bikey connections are the most disturbing - I think that is a relatively recent phenomenon

Criminal connections have been around for ages though. Since the days of the painters and dockers. How long has the Carlton mafia allegedly been involved for?

AUD/USD was higher in the 70s by a decent margin.

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=15520

Re future jobs Australia would be the financial centre of Asia if it werent for penal tax rates. A huge number of very high paying jobs (and lots of flow on jobs in accounting, legal etc). An area where Australia has a big competitive advantage over competition.

No brainer.

Unfortunately all too common on here. Staggering how many that think subsidising each renewable job at a decent cost is somehow a smart thing to do. Just like the estimated cost of each job saved under Rudds brilliant stimulus

Opportunity costs apparently doesnt exist in Australia.
Sorry can't agree with you on this one. You agree that the AUD was higher in the '70's, unions were around then too.
Production and sales were riding high.
It was the flood of cheaper models from the most obscure countries that killed the MV industries. Generous FTA's and lack of foresight by both major parties.
Stop with your union blaming, have worked enough manufacturing employers and do not trust them. Unions are essential in this country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry can't agree with you on this one. You agree that the AUD was higher in the '70's, unions were around then too.

Maggie as were tariffs. The ALP first under Gough (re TCF) then particularly under Bob Hawke dismantled them (re auto). See Buttton plan

Dry Rot is the one to ask about this

Bob Hawke IMO is one of the greatest Australian PM's and doesn't get the love he deserves.

Stop with your union blaming, have worked enough manufacturing employers and do not trust them. Unions are essential in this country

Maggie, big business LOVES to rent seek. Hence sweet heart deals. Don't look to me to defend big construction co's.

You and I may disagree re plenty but I think we are on the same page re 457 Visas.

Maggie as were tariffs. The ALP first under Gough (re TCF) then particularly under Bob Hawke dismantled them (re auto). See Buttton plan

Bob Hawke IMO is one of the greatest Australian PM's and doesn't get the love he deserves.

Maggie, big business LOVES to rent seek. Hence sweet heart deals. Don't look to me to defend big construction co's.

You and I may disagree re plenty but I think we are on the same page re 457 Visas.

* small and large scale business. They are s**t. I hope and will support unions continuing to passively castrate them for the rest of eternity.

The more red tape keeping these things in their cages the better.

Yes, tariffs and quotas.

IIRC, the TCF workers in the early 80s were estimated to be subsidised about $11k/year/worker (in 1980 dollars).

John Button, Australia's best (and only real?) industry minister had a genuine crack at fixing the car industry, but even his plan IIRC still had substantial protection.

Re Gough, IIRC his big tariff cut didn't really **** many industries, rather it was policy of equal wages for female workers who had been previously boned with their low sexist wages.

Interesting case study of fairness (I don't support lower wages for females doing the same male job) vs the economic/business outcomes of such a policy.

John Button, Australia's best (and only real?) industry minister

The fact that Rudd decided to attend the birth of a kid of a famous local actress whose name I can't recall right now, rather than attending John Button's funeral makes Rudd a first order campaigner.

ALP Minister Button was so well regarded that party royalty from both sides attended his funeral, except the then ALP PM Rudd.

What a campaigner.

Re Gough, IIRC his big tariff cut didn't really **** many industries, rather it was policy of equal wages for female workers who had been previously boned with their low sexist wages.

He nailed clothing. Launceston's biggest employer shut down very quickly. Button had the sense to give industry some chance of adapting.

Agree re Button, seems to have been universally liked/respected.

Polls looking good for Bill. Just has to sit tight, say nothing stupid. Will romp it in.

Probably true, but sad.

I hope the ALP come up with some decent policies re education & health for the next election. I dont mean just throw money at them, I mean decent progressive policies to benefit the country. Also a sensible policy re renewable energy. Not like aBORTS head in the sand approach to the problems of the 21st century.

Whatever happens, aBORT will surely be working hard to develop better negative policies for the fearful masses, just in time for the next election.

Probably true, but sad.

I hope the ALP come up with some decent policies re education & health for the next election. I dont mean just throw money at them, I mean decent progressive policies to benefit the country. Also a sensible policy re renewable energy. Not like aBORTS head in the sand approach to the problems of the 21st century.

Whatever happens, aBORT will surely be working hard to develop better negative policies for the fearful masses, just in time for the next election.
He will almost certainly do a John Howard boat crisis except Tone's will be seriously manufactured. Agree that Shorten is not much better than the mad monk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back