Bill Shorten - how long?

Lester Burnham

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Turnbull now leads Shorten as preferred prime minister 69 per cent to 18. That is huge.

And the bad news keeps on coming for the ALP in the November Fairfax-Ispsos poll, with the Coalition ahead strongly after preferences with a 56 per cent share of the vote, compared with Labor's 44 per cent. That is according to the preference flows at the 2013 election. When the 1402 respondents were asked which party would get their second preferences, the Coalition lead widened to 57 to 43.

Underpinning the strong support for the government is an eyebrow-raising jump in primary support for the government to 48 per cent – up 3 points in a month – and a corresponding collapse of primary support for the ALP to just 29 per cent, down 1 since the already surprising 30 per cent finding in October.

If confirmed in subsequent polls, the disparity will bring pressure on Mr Shorten's leadership because it would suggest Labor had not only lost any chance of winning the 2016 election, but had actually gone backwards since being trounced in 2013.​

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...es-cut-fairfaxipsos-poll-20151115-gkzmpf.html

Turnbull now leads Shorten as preferred prime minister 69 per cent to 18. That is huge.

And the bad news keeps on coming for the ALP in the November Fairfax-Ispsos poll, with the Coalition ahead strongly after preferences with a 56 per cent share of the vote, compared with Labor's 44 per cent. That is according to the preference flows at the 2013 election. When the 1402 respondents were asked which party would get their second preferences, the Coalition lead widened to 57 to 43.

Underpinning the strong support for the government is an eyebrow-raising jump in primary support for the government to 48 per cent – up 3 points in a month – and a corresponding collapse of primary support for the ALP to just 29 per cent, down 1 since the already surprising 30 per cent finding in October.

If confirmed in subsequent polls, the disparity will bring pressure on Mr Shorten's leadership because it would suggest Labor had not only lost any chance of winning the 2016 election, but had actually gone backwards since being trounced in 2013.​

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...es-cut-fairfaxipsos-poll-20151115-gkzmpf.html
Most of this has already been covered in the Polls thread, nothing new or surprising here.

What is more interesting is that he is going on about the GST and surprisingly, there is more support there than I thought there would be.

Shorten and Labor have little chance in the next election unless they come up with some very good policies or if Liberals go in with existing ones.

Their best chance in Abbott has gone, if they can at least win back some HoR seats (and not lose any) and perhaps an extra seat in the Senate, may be a small win for them.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
They are.

A packet of 25 cigarettes costs less than $5 in most countries.

When in South Korea I was amazed how many people - probably 50% of males - were smoking in a "first world" country. Until I realised a packet of cigarettes cost less than a bottle of beer :eek: Must have the greatest lobbyists in the world.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Approval rating at 15 percent and his policy is to put a new tax on smokers. Utterly clueless

Gets a lot of support from:

* small business owners and clients who don't smoke;
* garbage collectors;
* pub owners;
* cleaners;
* doctors, nurses, hospital administrators, private health insurers;
* The Quit Campaign.

Try again.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Gets a lot of support from:

* small business owners and clients who don't smoke;
* garbage collectors;
* pub owners;
* cleaners;
* doctors, nurses, hospital administrators, private health insurers;
* The Quit Campaign.

Try again.
Just think of the support he is getting from the black market!

Puddy

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ade.Utd.SOCCER club
Tobacco taxes increases over the last 4 years has done NOTHING to stop people from smoking. You go to poorer areas in your citited. the amount of times I have head of parents not feeding their children to pay for smokes. The government has literally taxed food out of childrens mouths.

The nicotine gum and patches need to be heavily subsidised to the point that they are free with doctor perscriptions, it is the only way. More taxation only hurts the innocents

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Tobacco taxes increases over the last 4 years has done NOTHING to stop people from smoking. You go to poorer areas in your citited. the amount of times I have head of parents not feeding their children to pay for smokes. The government has literally taxed food out of childrens mouths.

The nicotine gum and patches need to be heavily subsidised to the point that they are free with doctor perscriptions, it is the only way. More taxation only hurts the innocents

I'm sure I read that the amount of people smoking is down and the number taking it up is decreasing.

Puddy

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ade.Utd.SOCCER club
I'm sure I read that the amount of people smoking is down and the number taking it up is decreasing.

Manipulated stats can paint any picture, i do not know ONE single person who has given up due to plain packaging or the tax increases. The reality is the smoking rates are the same, all that has changed is more people are going hungry

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...-failing-the-labor-party-20151106-gksw1p.html

Today we focus on Labor's flaws, especially in Victoria, where federal leader Bill Shorten's Right faction wields substantial power. In a series of articles this year, The Age has revealed fraudulent conduct in state Labor, including instances of branch-stacking and the use of gift cards to buy memberships – against party rules.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...abor-party-20151106-gksw1p.html#ixzz3sT6QIecR

Time to clean it up Bill before you get shown the door!

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Yes we all know and understand the demographics re smoking.
One thing we learnt though is that criminal abuse of stats by Big Tobacco was replaced by a legalised abuse of stats by Govt and Lobbyists.
Over recent years our budgetary position would look a whole lot worse without the puffers amongst us...the critical tipping point where there becomes a drop in excise receipts is the only number any got is truly interested in.
Once left isolated, and without lobby groups tobacco has fallen prey to to the tax vultures and all it would take is a similar statistical "effort" to triple the alcohol take. It is still debatable which leads to more social/health problems, but i dont think i;m robinson crusoe thinking it would likely be alcohol by a country mile. Some things are easy and some are just to risky for pollies.

Whilst i dont have much sympathy, the stigma and associated abuse by govts and oppositions is now way overboard.

You would hope showbag put a little effort into figuring out he'd only be cutting his own throat...sometimes i wonder with their thought bubbles though.

What some people claim to be "passive" smoking is now a joke...you;d swear some people think they'll drop dead just being nearby...actors and actresses.
Lets face it, the princess that might complain about simply getting a whiff of a blokes ciggie wouldnt hesitate to borrow your credit card if offered, then happily shop till they drop up and down George St City sucking up all sorts of toxic fumes and exhausts all day long without a hint of a complaint. I wouldnt be abusing this particular excise gravy train...good chance that smokers arnt just paying their own way these days, but subsidiing some of the rest of us. This might be a good thing but no point abusing it...afterall its just another legal vice some people enjoy. Gave up long ago but i refuse to be anal about it.

CbayT

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I think everyone is forgetting the party vote where there can be no move on the leader no matter what the polls.
See the latest report with union members are indicating in increasing numbers they will vote for the libs?

Billy history of not representing awu members best interest is destroying the alp

Back