Bill Shorten - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that it is obvious that Shorten is lagging in the polls and is bad news for the Labor Party but I had to laugh at the Google home page.
Iif you click on related coverage, there are 5 stories from The Australian, 2 from Sky News, 1 from the Telegraph, 1 from Courier Mail and a token article from The New Daily quoting The Australian's report.

What do all those media outlets have in common?

I think that it is obvious that Shorten is lagging in the polls and is bad news for the Labor Party but I had to laugh at the Google home page.
Iif you click on related coverage, there are 5 stories from The Australian, 2 from Sky News, 1 from the Telegraph, 1 from Courier Mail and a token article from The New Daily quoting The Australian's report.

What do all those media outlets have in common?
They are all online?

Labor leader Bill Shorten has responded to Malcolm Turnbull's vow to fight an election on trade union reform, taking to Twitter to declare, "Bring it on".

After the release of the trade union royal commission's final report on Wednesday, Mr Turnbull flagged major reforms to union governance and said he would make it an election issue if the Senate blocked new laws.

On Thursday Mr Shorten, who is on leave and did not front the media on Wednesday, tweeted: "If Mr Turnbull and his Liberals want to fight an election on industrial relations, bring it on. We won on WorkChoices & we'll win again."

He followed by adding: "Labor will always fight for workers, decent pay & conditions. Mr Turnbull & his Liberals will fight for big business & to cut penalty rates."
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...on-as-union-battle-looms-20151231-glxer5.html

Shorten is a hypocrite. For example, under his leadership the AWU received kickbacks by way of false or inflated invoices for work Thiess did not need or was not done, in return for an industrial agreement that halved the number of mandatory rostered days off for workers.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...d-out-workers-for-300000-20151013-gk80hn.html

And of course the deal boosted Shorten's factional power within the ALP which was what it was really all about.

Labor leader Bill Shorten has responded to Malcolm Turnbull's vow to fight an election on trade union reform, taking to Twitter to declare, "Bring it on".

After the release of the trade union royal commission's final report on Wednesday, Mr Turnbull flagged major reforms to union governance and said he would make it an election issue if the Senate blocked new laws.

On Thursday Mr Shorten, who is on leave and did not front the media on Wednesday, tweeted: "If Mr Turnbull and his Liberals want to fight an election on industrial relations, bring it on. We won on WorkChoices & we'll win again."

He followed by adding: "Labor will always fight for workers, decent pay & conditions. Mr Turnbull & his Liberals will fight for big business & to cut penalty rates."
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...on-as-union-battle-looms-20151231-glxer5.html

Shorten is a hypocrite. For example, under his leadership the AWU received kickbacks by way of false or inflated invoices for work Thiess did not need or was not done, in return for an industrial agreement that halved the number of mandatory rostered days off for workers.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...d-out-workers-for-300000-20151013-gk80hn.html

And of course the deal boosted Shorten's factional power within the ALP which was what it was really all about.

yeah...but at the end of the day and when it comes time to re-assessing pollies pays you know what'll happen, they'll get a rise, we'll pay more tax and nothing will change, government, stands for corruption on a grand scale. it's all bullshit.

Be that as it may, Shorten is quite correct in is assessment of where the interests of Labour re workers and libs re business, still lean.
And the R. commission found he had no case to answer, so move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be that as it may, Shorten is quite correct in is assessment of where the interests of Labour re workers and libs re business, still lean.
And the R. commission found he had no case to answer, so move on.

I know the Unions to be bullies. I know the ones on construction sites tell workers if you don't join - then get off site. If you don't join, then we will make sure you aren't on the next job. If you don't join, then you can forget working in this industry. That is how our unions have been operating, and it is a disgrace. I don't for one second doubt that the unions aren't necessary for the workers of Australia, but I do question whether the unions we have in some sectors have too much power, and aren't operating as they should be. The commission might have found no case for Shorten to answer, but it uncovered enough to suggest the unions aren't above board. Shorten is closely aligned with the unions and does have a extensive history in that area, its only reasonable that people are interested. This isn't going away, I don't think 'move on' is going to cut it.

yeah...but at the end of the day and when it comes time to re-assessing pollies pays you know what'll happen, they'll get a rise, we'll pay more tax and nothing will change, government, stands for corruption on a grand scale. it's all bullshit.

Pollies don't earn enough but we also have to many of them.

Perhaps double or quadruple the pay but cut the number of them by half

I know the Unions to be bullies. I know the ones on construction sites tell workers if you don't join - then get off site. If you don't join, then we will make sure you aren't on the next job. If you don't join, then you can forget working in this industry. That is how our unions have been operating, and it is a disgrace. I don't for one second doubt that the unions aren't necessary for the workers of Australia, but I do question whether the unions we have in some sectors have too much power, and aren't operating as they should be. The commission might have found no case for Shorten to answer, but it uncovered enough to suggest the unions aren't above board. Shorten is closely aligned with the unions and does have a extensive history in that area, its only reasonable that people are interested. This isn't going away, I don't think 'move on' is going to cut it.

Hear hear

We will all benefit with better functioning unions. They are important, thus the need to have them operating properly and with integrity.

Yep, you know the construction unions to be troublesome-as they have always been. And of course they should be cleaned up. The majority of unions however, just get on with doing a reasonable job.
Unless you can tell me what Shorten should personally be charged with, well, move on. They have spent a lot of money on an RC and he came out of it ok, so not sure why'd you'd pursue him further. By all means clean up the building unions-we'd all welcome that, then, might be useful to pursue companies that pay no tax! Far more costly than union corruption.

Property developers, and their links with politicians, particularly at state, and local level need to be closely looked at, I'd also like to see a look at the links between mining companies, and politicians at federal level examined, as well as pay, and perks of all elected officials. This seems to be more of the Liberals attacking the interests of the average worker, while letting the top end off scot-free. Michaelia Cash saying she's the worker's best friend, is up the with Abbott suggesting he will be the best friend the Medicare has ever had.

The problem for the ALP is that Bill Shorten can't be replaced because of the rules set by former PM Kevin Rudd. It looks like an election wipeout for Labor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem for the ALP is that Bill Shorten can't be replaced because of the rules set by former PM Kevin Rudd. It looks like an election wipeout for Labor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Control of the Upper House would be great so massive budget cuts can be made. Highly unlikely though. Plus, I don't think that Turnbull would have the kahunas to do the right thing for the country and slash spending to bring it back into budget!

Control of the Upper House would be great so massive budget cuts can be made. Highly unlikely though. Plus, I don't think that Turnbull would have the kahunas to do the right thing for the country and slash spending to bring it back into budget!

Just slashing the budget might well do the economy more harm than good at the moment. Targeted savings is the way to go. Targeted to areas which wont stop economic activity. They must attack the top end 'rorting' of superannuation deductions, & the exponential increases in 'border security' spending. A blank cheque approach to spending in any area needs to stop.

Just slashing the budget might well do the economy more harm than good at the moment. Targeted savings is the way to go. Targeted to areas which wont stop economic activity. They must attack the top end 'rorting' of superannuation deductions, & the exponential increases in 'border security' spending. A blank cheque approach to spending in any area needs to stop.
Can think of a few targeted savings

Seriously dude, the maximum you can get into super is $30,000 ($35,000 if over 50) as deductible amount. This includes your 9.5% super guarantee, so if you are at the "top end" and earning over $300,000, you can't get anymore in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back