Bill Shorten - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. I'm in a provincial electorate where communication is probably cheaper in the rural city area rather than where I am. But I did get a calendar which is now on the fridge.

BTW, my local member is Catherine King.

Pollies don't earn enough but we also have to many of them.

Perhaps double or quadruple the pay but cut the number of them by half

To a point, I do agree that politicians are underpaid, but the current crop contain that many spuds,

I am not seeking to increase pollies wages to reward spuds. Rather the current crop attests to the fact we are paying peanuts and getting monkeys.

culling the half is to claw back savings and stop rewarding mediocrity.

I would cut half of Australia's Pollies and half of Australia's public servants. I would then increase Pollies pays by 50% and give them the same Super as the rest of the country.
Don't sweat though. I wouldn't cut the police force, firies or public health workers.

just had to deal with medicare today on behalf of my mother in-law. they wanted her to sell her house and car then buy a new ones to renew her medicare.

I asked them to put that request on letterhead and suddenly the demand went away. what kind of morons do our government departments employ? Is it stupidity or an adversity to work that drives requests like this? I sense many people would walk out empty handed and thus achieve there plan of doing SFA.

Then why the $193,000 - 63 days comment? Because what they do away from parliament isn't worth anything. You get to play this logical two step because you are two different user names.

Why not? Watch question time...tell me we're getting our money's worth..you'd have to be out of your mind to think we're being lead by politicians worth $200k. And why I say that is because QT is when they're at their most visible...and it's cringe worthy at the very least.

Last edited:
just had to deal with medicare today on behalf of my mother in-law. they wanted her to sell her house and car then buy a new ones to renew her medicare.

I asked them to put that request on letterhead and suddenly the demand went away. what kind of morons do our government departments employ? Is it stupidity or an adversity to work that drives requests like this? I sense many people would walk out empty handed and thus achieve there plan of doing SFA.
Never heard of that before, surely there is more to it.
Sell a house and a car to get Medicare?

Never heard of that before, surely there is more to it.
Sell a house and a car to get Medicare?

the same nutmegs wanted me to visit a doctor for no reason, so I could receive a bill to answer security questions to update my address.

Whenever I get govt workers making ridiculous demands, I simply ask them to put it in writing on govt letterhead. That tends to get them focused and suddenly rational.

Kelvin Thomson..never heard nor seen him. I've lived here 7 years.

Me too, except he does send around a bulletin now and then which I put straight into the bin.
He is retiring which is good.

So neither of you are Tony Mokbel. Good.

Why not? Watch question time...tell me we're getting our money's worth..you'd have to be out of your mind to think we're being lead by politicians worth $200k. And why I say that is because QT is when they're at their most visible...and it's cringe worthy at the very least.

Question Time needs fixing. The PM's questions in Britain are better, but the lack of party discipline there adds to that. Keating predicted what would happen to Question Time if it was televised, but that is not an excuse.

I tend to agree with Power Raid - less MPs, better (and simpler) remuneration. Quality over quantity. But that wouldn't go down well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So neither of you are Tony Mokbel. Good.

Question Time needs fixing. The PM's questions in Britain are better, but the lack of party discipline there adds to that. Keating predicted what would happen to Question Time if it was televised, but that is not an excuse.

I tend to agree with Power Raid - less MPs, better (and simpler) remuneration. Quality over quantity. But that wouldn't go down well.
????

the same nutmegs wanted me to visit a doctor for no reason, so I could receive a bill to answer security questions to update my address.

Whenever I get govt workers making ridiculous demands, I simply ask them to put it in writing on govt letterhead. That tends to get them focused and suddenly rational.
Not sure why you have these weird experiences-mine, and my familys' experiences with medicare have been fabulous-simple, effective, helpful.

I still don't understand why one would need to sell their house and car to get their medicare card. Too many other assets?

I still don't understand why one would need to sell their house and car to get their medicare card. Too many other assets?

No just a stupid request to get us to turn around and walk out the door so they wouldn't have to do work.

My wife went in there to help her mum (broken English) and was given the run around. They didn't take my wife serious as she was in holiday clothes and Asian.

My mother in-laws church friend had the same issues.

I went in in disbelief of the stories of my wife and the friend. That was until I received requests for the mother to:
1) sell the home and buy a new one
2) sell the car and buy a new one
3) get a drivers licence
4) get a job despite being a self funded retiree

None of the requests were a requirement for Medicare, just bullshit. They backed down as soon as they were requested to put their requests in writing.

Last edited:
Not sure why you have these weird experiences-mine, and my familys' experiences with medicare have been fabulous-simple, effective, helpful.

In this case it may have been a touch of racism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back