Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

This is one phrase Ive never understood. I know when people write GOP they're talking about guys who ideally wouldn't be on the field. But what does it actually mean/stand for?!

"Good ordinary player" was a phrase coined by Jack Dyer, probably about 45 years ago. I think he was trying to explain that a certain player was somewhere between average and good, the sort of player that would get a game each week but would never win a best and fairest. Jack would sometimes butcher the English language a bit, and I think this phrase was an example of that. I reckon the reason the phrase caught on was because people thought it was funny at the time and his co-commentators were taking the p!%s out of him a good-natured way. He coined lots of other football phrases like, "If you don't mind, umpire", that have also stood the test of time. He was always entertaining. (Jack Dyer, Lou Richards and Bob Davis on "League Teams" every Thursday night was a very funny show and was a forerunner to all the footy variety types of shows we see nowadays.)

I tend to use it for players like Geary, Ray, Gwilt etc. Certainly I think they do belong on the field. Ideally every player would be Leigh Montagna, Dal Santo , etc etc but that is NEVER going to happen.

Geary a GOP? Think you'll find the club & team mates rate him significantly higher than that.

I'd say Jason Blake is probably the best GOP I've ever seen put on the jumper for us.
I would put Blake a bit above this as his versatility made him way more useful then a lot of other players. There pretty much wasnt a position he couldnt at least do okay in.

Home with the flu so was just reading about jacks first year. Then compared it against the messiah Bontempelli. These are only stats but I'm very happy with jacks first season.

Billings. Bontempelli.

2014 Season 2014
16 Games 16
9.3 Kicks 8.3
5.2 Handballs 7.6
14.6 Disposals 15.9
4.8 Marks 2.9
0.9 Goals 0.9
0.9 Behinds 0.6
1.8 Tackles 3.4
0 Hitouts 0.9
2.9 Inside 50s 4.2
0.8 Goal Assists 0.3
1.1 Frees For 0.3
0 Frees Ag. 0.3
4.4 Cont. Poss. 7.5
10.1 Unc. Poss. 8.8
10.1 Eff. Disposals 10.7
69.2% Eff. Disp. % 67.3%
1.2 Clangers 1.6
0.2 Cont. Marks 0.8
0.9 Marks I50 0.8
0.4 Clearances 2.2
0.8 Rebound 50s 1.1
0.8 1%s 2.1
0.2 Bounces 0.3
78.0 TOG % 76.9

Apologies that it's hard to read, on my phone.

Wasn't billings also a sub somewhere in their?
It's surprising to me he got 78% game time I wouldn't of guessed that at all

He never gets brought up as a future leader of the club but I would love to know how his leadership off the field is.
#jet

Last edited:
People tend to forget that Jack had an interrupted preseason with the Quad injury, not to mention he spent the bulk of his draft year with that knee injury. It's pretty hard to build a tank when you've been carrying injuries for 12 months and not being able to do a full AFL quality preseason.

Should be an absolute ripper once he fills out his body.

He never gets brought up as a future leader of the club but I would love to know how his leadership off the field is.
#jet
Was sub in round 1 and did his hammy against the dogs

#jet

I've known Jack for years and coached him in 3 years of junior footy. He is highly intelligent, personally driven and comes from a great family.
He hasn't got an overt personality - more the quiet, resolute type. I see him as definitely being part of the leadership group in the future
but I don't see him up the pointy end. His intelligence and footy smarts will see him imparting valuable input to his team-mates but I reckon he's more comfortable doing his thing rather than leading. Besides, once his body development, tank and god-given talents align, he'll find it difficult to lead by example because his example will be very difficult to emulate.
He can do the things a la Jeremy Cameron, Chad Wingard and Maurice Rioli can do, if not better. I don't see any of those blokes being captains either because they do the freakish things that others can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Home with the flu so was just reading about jacks first year. Then compared it against the messiah Bontempelli. These are only stats but I'm very happy with jacks first season.

Billings. Bontempelli.

2014 Season 2014
16 Games 16
9.3 Kicks 8.3
5.2 Handballs 7.6
14.6 Disposals 15.9
4.8 Marks 2.9
0.9 Goals 0.9
0.9 Behinds 0.6

1.8 Tackles 3.4
0 Hitouts 0.9
2.9 Inside 50s 4.2
0.8 Goal Assists 0.3
1.1 Frees For 0.3
0 Frees Ag. 0.3
4.4 Cont. Poss. 7.5
10.1 Unc. Poss. 8.8
10.1 Eff. Disposals 10.7
69.2% Eff. Disp. % 67.3%
1.2 Clangers 1.6
0.2 Cont. Marks 0.8
0.9 Marks I50 0.8
0.4 Clearances 2.2
0.8 Rebound 50s 1.1
0.8 1%s 2.1
0.2 Bounces 0.3
78.0 TOG % 76.9

Apologies that it's hard to read, on my phone.

What I like about that is with just 15 possessions, he's averaging close to 2 shots a game and also setting up another goal every game.

Makes the most of his disposals. And still hasn't given away a free kick!

He's done well, but putting those stats into context is also important. The reason Bontempelli is getting hype is because once he was out on the field, he was right in amongst it. Billings and the way we used him this year, was a bit-part, cameo type player. We weren't asking him to do anything other than hang around half-forward and pick up a few possesssions where he could, get us into the 50 when he gets a chance, etc.
He is slight at the moment; its obvious he still has much to fill out on his frame, so that was sensible to get him minutes in the action without getting him physically tortured.

The initial signs are really good. But the real key is how things do as the expectation is upped, his body matures and we expect him to become more pivotal in the team. If he continues on an upward curve as his body develops, his performance increases, he'll easily be an elite player.

Only concern for mine is his body, it's a huge concern, but if Jack can get healthy and build some weight and body mass while also building his running ability, he'll be a very, very handy player for a long time. Had a shocking run with injuries last year and in 2014, here's hoping he gets a fair run from here.

Jack Billings 2013 Draft Rewind: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-26/2013-draft-rewind-jack-billings

THIS time last year, Jack Billings was so excited he couldn’t keep the smile off his face.

Years of hard work was about to pay off. Having completed his VCE exams at Scotch College, an AFL career beckoned, but at what club?

He knew St Kilda was interested in him, due to the fact that Ameet Bains, Tony Elshaug and co had visited his family home in Kew on a handful of occasions.

He was also aware the Saints held pick three, while GWS boasted the first two picks of the draft.

Billings expected the Giants to take Tom Boyd and hoped that Josh Kelly would follow, allowing Elshaug to read out his name.

Fortunately, that’s exactly how it panned out.

Jack showed in one game this year what he will hopefully be able to do in the future, the 25 disposal,3 goal 100%efficieny with 4 inside 50s. Seriously for everything Dunstan, Bontempelli and others did not many young stars let alone some of the better players in the comp, without trying to get excited it's the type of thing Ablett Pendles and Fyfe do. The amazing thing is he did this in just his 12th game

Jack showed in one game this year what he will hopefully be able to do in the future, the 25 disposal,3 goal 100%efficieny with 4 inside 50s. Seriously for everything Dunstan, Bontempelli and others did not many young stars let alone some of the better players in the comp, without trying to get excited it's the type of thing Ablett Pendles and Fyfe do. The amazing thing is he did this in just his 12th game
Lets hope he can break a tag ( yes I think he'll get one ).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back