Traded Billy Longer (2012-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

A few people were predicting he would develop into a particularly massive unit and that is coming to fruition. I would be interested to know if the development of his running strength is commensurate with that of his physical strength.

I hope that Billy doesnt lose that pace off the mark that was so evident in the preseason, it was that initial quickness that made me think that he would be a dangerous forward option as he would be too quick for a ruckman to mark up on and too big for a FB to try and outmuscle him.

Charman sizes up rucks
December 28, 2012
Sam Lord

Also waiting in the wings is 19 year-old Billy Longer, who was drafted to the Lions with their first round selection (Pick No.8 overall) at the 2011 AFL National Draft.

As is the case with most teenage ruckmen, Longer is expected to take time to develop, before being thrust regularly into arguably the most physically demanding position on the field.

“Billy is a work in progress,” Charman said.

“He’s still learning the game and 2013 will only be his second year. Realistically, it takes almost five years for a ruckman to learn his trade.”

“Obviously we expect big things from Billy, but we have to be patient with him and keep developing him as a ruckman, and also as a key forward.”

Longer getting stronger
January 17, 2013
Sam Lord

Billy Longer cut an imposing figure for a first-year ruckman last season, but soon discovered that he was relatively underdeveloped in terms of strength and fitness.

Longer still went on to feature in five senior AFL games with the Lions, which included an eye-opening debut match opposed to Fremantle giant Aaron Sandilands.

But like most ruckmen of his age, it was always going to take time for the former Victorian Metro U18 Captain to become ‘AFL-ready’. Now, as hear nears the end of his first ever ‘full’ pre-season, Longer is already feeling fitter, stronger, and more prepared for the 2013 season.

The return of Matthew Leuenberger from injury and off-season recruitment of Stefan Martin means that Longer will have some stiff competition for a senior position in Round One, but the 19 year-old is keeping an eye on the bigger picture.

Even when he flew out of the blocks early last year, I still had quite a few doubts about Longer, especially considering how high we took him.

Now I am a true believer. He is a super package, big unit with incredible athleticism and plenty of skill but most of all he is a competitor. He came to play on the weekend and was not going to be intimidated by Jolly whatsoever.

Massively ahead of schedule for a ruckman too. He can play this year and impact games. Really hope we can get him and Leuey up and running together in the near future.

Even when he flew out of the blocks early last year, I still had quite a few doubts about Longer, especially considering how high we took him.

Now I am a true believer. He is a super package, big unit with incredible athleticism and plenty of skill but most of all he is a competitor. He came to play on the weekend and was not going to be intimidated by Jolly whatsoever.

Massively ahead of schedule for a ruckman too. He can play this year and impact games. Really hope we can get him and Leuey up and running together in the near future.

I think we'll see him play 10 or so games this year, really give Burger time to ease back in. We dont want to rush him back into fulltime football if we dont need to.

And we could use our midyear promotion on Michael if we dont use it on him straight up.

Two big question marks i had were allayed when he took a good pack mark and then also when he delivered a blistering kick into the forward line.

He has such a high ceiling.

Also did really well against Witts who is 3 inches taller.

still watching the nab cup final replay (savouring every glorious moment). what i like the most about billy is that he is not afraid to go back & kick the ball. so many big men these days cannot kick to save themselves, & handball at all costs.
it may sound strange but i think leuenberger being unavilable for the nab cup was the best thing to bring on billy's game.
i'm looking for a big year for billy this year

Billy to fill void left by Leuey
March 26, 2013
Andrew Hamilton

BRISBANE are prepared to hand teenager Billy Longer No.1 ruckman duties in the season opener against the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Longer's emergence during the NAB Cup, especially his effort in the grand final win over Carlton, has given coach Michael Voss and his match committee the confidence to allow the badly underdone Matthew Leuenberger an NEAFL hit-out to build match conditioning.

"Pleasingly Billy Longer has been in good form, that is why the last couple of weeks have been important, now we know he is capable of playing the game out,'' Warren said.

"If it decided Lewey needs a week in the twos, we know Billy can do the job.

"I thought he was pretty good in the NAB Cup grand final.''

986119-matthew-leuenberger.jpg

Lions lift intensity
April 5, 2013
Michael Whiting

Leuenberger will play his first senior match in almost 12 months on Saturday when he runs out against Adelaide at the Gabba.
After playing a full match in the reserves last weekend, Voss said it was a difficult decision to squeeze him in ahead of teenager Billy Longer.

Longer was outmuscled by Western Bulldog Will Minson in the 68-point round-one loss, but was one of few Lions to make a real effort.

"Billy was doing some good things. That was a tough selection for us," Voss said on Friday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coach Michael Voss has no doubt the West Australian is part of the Lions' long-term future, saying he and teenager Billy Longer should be the ruck combination for years to come.

"We see our future forward line consisting of having Billy Longer and Matthew Leuenberger in the same team and going in tandem with one another and creating some havoc," Voss said.

If anyone feels like receiving a little shock, I suggest you go have a look at Longer when he was drafted compared to now. He has truly transformed from boy to half-man half-giant. Great game today from Longer. I love him!
Has anyone got a "before" and "after" photo?

Was jumping very early in the ruck, often coming down before he could touch the ball. Didn't seem to be doing much hit-outing, but he was able to get his knees into Jamar's ribs and stop him getting a good jump at the ball. Not sure if this was deliberate, or whether his timing was just out. Either way Jamar looked pretty tired in the final quarter against a comparatively fresh Leuenberger. Leuey and Longer might not be prototype ruck-forwards, but I do like them as a ruck combination.

Reckon Longer would be able to throw down some vicious nasty dunks with ease?

I've always wondered just how big a leap on the bball court these AFL players would have, or if there's very litte that would correlate to the hardwood.

I wasn't a big fan of his game yesterday, but the best thing about him is that he really throws himself around, which is kind of rare these days for a second year ruckman. They come out of junior footy where they were inches taller than everyone and try to use that height to reach over their opponents. Longer doesn't look he needed much encouragement to get his body involved.

Which makes me think he'll be useful as a pack-breaking forward in a season or two with seven or eight more kilos. He'll need to figure out how to stop giving away free kicks, though.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

How come Billy Longer had a bandage on his head BEFORE last week’s game? Did he go too hard in the warm-up? - Bradley from Inverloch, VIC

Funny story; Billy Longer actually sneezed while he was in the toilet and because he wore boots into the toilet, the ground was a bit slippery and he slipped over and hit his head on the basin. Billy Longer is not the smartest bloke at the best of times but he now knows to wear shoes into the bathroom before the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back