Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont recall saying Grundy offers so much more? Please guide me to where i said that?

I wasnt looking at just contested marking, i was looking at Marking in general and finding the football around the ground, Longer averages something like 7 point something disposals and 1 mark a game over 2014.

I dont remember a ruckman being a dominate contested mark in there first 2-3 seasons anyway, which is why i clearly stated 'obviously only early days', meaning i acknowledged that Longer is only early his development and could become a Lobbe type of ruckman just as much as a Warnock type(a player in which i said reminded me of Longer).

I had no reason to look up the stats as i wasnt comparing Longer to Grundy at all, i was describing the type of player Longer reminded me of.

You know you really should have already known that.
Ah yes, because saying you'll take Grundy, then providing a reason why you wouldn't take Longer, would indicate that you think that Grundy has that over him.

Anyway, both are decent, neither will be world beaters.

Ah yes, because saying you'll take Grundy, then providing a reason why you wouldn't take Longer, would indicate that you think that Grundy has that over him.

Anyway, both are decent, neither will be world beaters.
That would be assuming, i choose Grundy, then i continued to describe that i thought Longer reminded me of a Robert Warnock type, i didnt state that is why i didnt choose him, for all you know i could actually like Robert Warnock as a ruckman and in saying that Longer reminded me of him could have been compliment.

Longer has also been in the system a year longer than Grundy so you wouldn't expect their development to be equal.
In this thread you can also see what I will call "The Wingard effect", where a player performs well above expectations one year, then has a run of not quite as good form and has everybody jump on the "He's a show pony (in the case of Wingard)/he was never that good bandwagon" despite the fact that the player is a 2nd/3rd year player who has already shown more than a glimpse of what they are capqble of.

Longer has also been in the system a year longer than Grundy so you wouldn't expect their development to be equal.
In this thread you can also see what I will call "The Wingard effect", where a player performs well above expectations one year, then has a run of not quite as good form and has everybody jump on the "He's a show pony (in the case of Wingard)/he was never that good bandwagon" despite the fact that the player is a 2nd/3rd year player who has already shown more than a glimpse of what they are capqble of.

Settle down. You're comparing an all australian at 20 to a guy who played 7 ok AFL games last year.

The fact is that Grundy just didn't do that much last year. A couple of hitouts to advantage and the Collingwood PR machine went crazy. Sure he showed signs but let's not compare him to Wingard who was one of the top 20 players in the league last year. Grundy wouldn't have made the top 320.

Grundy's exactly where you'd expect a talented young ruckman to be in his second year, having shown glimpses but playing VFL because he's just not ready for AFL football. Maybe he'll be a very good ruckman, maybe he'll be a good ruckman or maybe he'll be a Fraser or Wood and bomb. It's really too early to tell. Nobody as far as I can tell is writing him off. As far as I can tell the ones rating him way off where he is are the Pies fans who think the odd glimpse in his first year means he's the second coming of Polly Farmer.

BTW, Grundy is 100% playing this week after a BOG performance in the VFL vs Bellchambers
While he was BOG, Bellchambers played mostly forward and Grundy toyed with a bloke making his state league debut.

Jarrod Witts, a 21 year old who happened to get more hitouts than Lobbe 2 weeks ago.

So yea, who is Longer getting a game over? I actually don't know.

Longer had 3 less hit outs than Minson on Sunday at a higher hit out to advantage percentage. Id suggest who Longer play's well against is far more important.

Just for the record Longer is playing in front of Hickey Pierce and a bloke who had 50 odd hit outs against Bellchambers in Holmes.

Last edited:
Longer had 3 less hit outs than Minson on Sunday at a higher hit out to advantage percentage. Id suggest who Longer play's well against is far more important.

Just for the record Longer is playing in front of Hickey Pierce and a bloke who had 50 off hit outs against Bellchambers in Holmes.
Lobbe>Minson this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just for the record Longer is playing in front of Hickey Pierce and a bloke who had 50 odd hit outs against Bellchambers in Holmes.
Hickey's out injured and Longer couldn't get a game at the beginning of the year when Hickey was fully fit...

Settle down. You're comparing an all australian at 20 to a guy who played 7 ok AFL games last year.

The fact is that Grundy just didn't do that much last year. A couple of hitouts to advantage and the Collingwood PR machine went crazy. Sure he showed signs but let's not compare him to Wingard who was one of the top 20 players in the league last year. Grundy wouldn't have made the top 320.

Grundy's exactly where you'd expect a talented young ruckman to be in his second year, having shown glimpses but playing VFL because he's just not ready for AFL football. Maybe he'll be a very good ruckman, maybe he'll be a good ruckman or maybe he'll be a Fraser or Wood and bomb. It's really too early to tell. Nobody as far as I can tell is writing him off. As far as I can tell the ones rating him way off where he is are the Pies fans who think the odd glimpse in his first year means he's the second coming of Polly Farmer.
The fact that Wingard is much better than Grundy has nothing to do with the comparison.

Hickey's out injured and Longer couldn't get a game at the beginning of the year when Hickey was fully fit...

Longer had less then 10 games at the beginning of the year and yes of course he was behind Hickey. Longer has averaged over 25 hit outs a game since making his StKilda debut.

Well it's hard to say but because Longer been getting more game time then Grundy I reckon he's just above him and as time goes on I still think Longer has much to improve.

Wait a sec, I thought Longer was getting a game over Hickey. Surely Adam H would never lie? :eek:

Hickey is much better than Grundy and Hickey and Longer is a better ruck Grundy. Cant see where I lied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back