Bishop's 2015 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure your phantom draft makes sense to me, just don't understand how Sydney are getting Mills with the pick you selected.

It is correct as of the current "new" bidding system (unless I've made a massive Maths mistake).

Essendon bid Pick 4 for Callum Mills.

Sydney match the bid for Mills.
Pick 4 is worth 2,034 - the 20% discount it is worth 1,627.2 pts

Sydney then use Pick 15 (1,112 pts) & Pick 33 (563pts) which equals 1,675pts in order to get Mills.

To even the points, Sydney then get Pick 70 (39pts) back in return or you can say Pick 33 slides to Pick 70 in the draft.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:
Excellent work Bishop.

This (format) is how the new draft night will unfold and is how every serious phantom drafter should now format their drafts.

Readers will get their heads around it the more it is presented in this correct format.

Trust me, I'm still getting my head around it!

Once you get use to it it's ok, but I can't trust my maths... Hopefully someone comes up with a program that does it automatically (similar to what I think they'll be using on draft night)

It is correct as of the current "new" bidding system (unless I've made a massive Maths mistake).

Essendon bid Pick 4 for Callum Mills.

I did not know that if Essendon bid pick 4 for Mills if Sydney decides to match that bid they then move to pick 4. They then lose points in the following rounds.

This is how I assumed it worked.

Essendon bids pick 4.
Sydney match the bid.
Sydney select Mills with pick 16 and then move down the draft order later.

The way you've displayed the data (still giving basically the same result) is Mills going with pick 4 instead.

Last edited:
I did not know that if Essendon bid pick 4 for Mills if Sydney decides to match that bid they then move to pick 4. They then lose points in the following rounds.

Essendon bids pick 4.
Sydney match the bid.

The way you've displayed the data (still giving basically the same result) is Mills going with pick 4 instead.
The way he's put it is the way it works.

Essendon bids pick 4.
Sydney match the bid.

The way it'll work is that Sydney does move up to pick 4 and selects Mills. Essendon moves down to pick 5. Everyone else between picks 4 and 16 (using your suggested picks) move down one. Everyone between 16 and 34 stay the same, and then everyone after that move up at least one or more picks because Sydney's given up those draft picks in the later rounds.

I guess that will look better in the records books, pick 4 in the 2015 AFL draft instead of the Heeney situation where he was actually a pick 2 player drafted with pick 17 or whatever it was.

Yep. Heeney is a gun. Paul Roos actually told him at the Combine (before the bidding took place- That they were going to bid Pick 2 on him to his surprise) I reckon he'll be the best out of 2014 draft.

Yep. Heeney is a gun. Paul Roos actually told him at the Combine (before the bidding took place- That they were going to bid Pick 2 on him to his surprise) I reckon he'll be the best out of 2014 draft.

Bishop. How high can Charlie Curnow go as keep reading how he continuously kicks goals and pushes into the midfield. Bit of Stringer about him?

Bishop. How high can Charlie Curnow go as keep reading how he continuously kicks goals and pushes into the midfield. Bit of Stringer about him?

I think he'll go Top 10 for me. I'm still on the fence a bit with him. He has kicked 21 goals in 10 TAC Cup games (had a very quiet game today) I rate him as a forward that can pinch hit in the midfield.

The only negative is when he has gone into the midfield he doesn't win a huge amount of the ball. Only reached more than 20 disposals on one occasion. He played the whole game in the midfield in the Vic Country trial match vs NSW/ACT earlier in the season, but other than that most of his highlights have been in the forward line.

He looks a bit lost on occasions, especially inside 50. I think he can transition into a midfielder, but I don't believe it would be a full time role. He needs to work a bit more on his aerobic capacity for me, which may help him lose some of his "puppy fat" he has on his body. His height is nice, but I rate him purely as a forward due to his good marking ability- That can go into the midfield.

Jesse Glass-McCasker
Post 3: Phantom Draft as of August 29 2015

6ESlzwN.png
PlcizT9.png
zeyyoeL.png
6ydvBJI.png
mgzZRPM.png
Something tells me Freo may not have their 1st/2nd rounders this year. But would be wrapped to get Jesse at Pick 53 :) Good job mate.

Something tells me Freo may not have their 1st/2nd rounders this year. But would be wrapped to get Jesse at Pick 53 :) Good job mate.

Thanks mate. You'd think if they were to end up getting McCarthy this year, might need to get picks involved!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With pick 5 who do you think saints will pick?

The options I'd say would be Parish, Mathieson, Tucker & Curnow.

I think at this stage Parish would likely be off to Essendon with Pick 4. So that narrows it down to three. If Parish got to St Kilda, I'd call out his name and run- He's going to be a really good player.

Although St Kilda have a lot of inside midfielders, Rhys Mathieson has really impressed me this year. He's predominately an inside player, but he has improved his "outside" game since early in the season. His work in the contests is fantastic, and he'd be the best or close to- the best inside midfielder in the draft. His ability to have 10 clearances in his VFL game for Geelong shows he's not afraid to mess with the bigger bodies at VFL/AFL Level. He wins a lot of the footy as well, so can be a damaging player as he has shown this year for Geelong in the TAC.

Darcy Tucker has had a quiet year. 12 Months ago I would have said he's easily a top 5 pick, but has drifted out to late first rounders by many. I've got him ranked at Number 8 in my Power Rankings (one above Mathieson) as I know his best is very good. Tucker plays as an outside midfielder (as well as a small defender) with elite kicking skills. He is someone you want to have the ball in their hands as he makes good decisions. I'd say early in his career he'd play off half back and transition onto a wing. Despite his quiet year, he showed last year that his best if very good in the Champs, and I expect him to be considered by the Saints.

Charlie Curnow rounds out the three. He's a 191cm/95kg forward. I'm a bit boyish about him, had a stinker on Sunday. He's kicked 21 goals in 10 TAC Cup games. I'm not convinced he'll be able to transition into a full time midfielder, having only reached 20+ disposals on one occasion. He played the whole of the Vic Country vs NSW/ACT game in the midfield, but other than that most of his highlights have been in the forward line. He does look lost on occasions up forward, while may be due to a lack of football this year... I rate him purely as a forward that can pinch hit in the middle, as I don't think he'll become an inside beast at his size. He's got good marking ability & I'm looking forward to seeing how he tests Sprints/Beep test wise. I think the Saints might overlook him, as like many clubs they might feel he's a curious case with a good upside, but a risk if it doesn't come off.

(You may bid on Hopper or Mills depending on how you rate them- But GWS/SYD will match the bid)

I'd go Mathieson over Tucker (but very close)

Bishop, do you see Hipwood at the same level or above Harris Andrews in terms of potential?

I think Andrews was a lot better than his bidded pick last year (40 by North Melbourne),( I rated him as No.29 )

Personally I see Hipwood at the same level as Andrews. Both 200cm guys, if they put on a bit more weight they can be nice bookends at either ends (or at the same end) of the ground in years to come. I believe Andrews has a great upside!

Andrews was 91kg in comparison in 2014, while Hipwood is 82kg so there is a difference between the two.

Hipwood is 200cm and can play at both ends of the ground which indicates he is going to be a really good player. Despite his average kicking, I think this is something that can be worked on- Every player has their deficiencies.

He moves really well, indicating his athletic traits- Like Andrews I don't expect him putting on weight will affect it too much but I rate Hipwood as one of the better talls in the draft. I rate him as a forward, but like Andrews has done this year Hipwood would be no stranger to the backline.

I'd really hope Brisbane match the bid on Hipwood- I personally rate him higher than Keays and think Hipwood will be a really nice player in the future.

Cheers Bishop, I hope, like most Brisbane fans, that we get both Keays AND Hipwood, even if it costs us several picks to do it...Depending on how our trades work out it might be possible to anyway...I also want us to get Wylie Buzza, but thats just because I like his name!

While I'm here Bishop. Which over aged guys do you see getting a gig this year?

I think we'll probably have a fair few (Not including those born in 1996 such as Nick Coughlan)

VFL:
Mitch Brown (Sandringham)
Josh Porter (Werribee)
Michael Hartley (Coburg)
Rupert Willis (Collingwood)

They would be the best four in my opinion. I'd be very surprised if they weren't picked up.

SANFL:
Patrick Levicki (Norwood)

WAFL:
Marcus Adams (West Perth)
Josh Bootsma (Peel Thunder)
Sam Menegola (Subiaco)
Francis Watson (Claremont)
Shane Yarran (Subiaco)

---

Obviously being in Melbourne- I've hardly seen any of the interstate guys , so I've added names who I've heard about from different sources.

Couple of other guys you can add;
- Dan Coghlan (VFL Bombsrs)
- Nic Gardiner (Frankston Dolphins)
- Isaac Conway (Weribee)

I've seen all three. In my view I don't think they'll be picked up.

I know there is talk about clubs wanting to get all these mature agers- People I have spoken to aren't as sure.

Mind you- All it takes is one club to be interested in you- Next minute you're a rookie listed player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back