Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat60

Draftee
May 12, 2008
Northern NSW
AFL Club
Geelong
Having had a son play in both BDAFL and Sydney 18s, and having been involved as an official in both competitions, the standard is no different overall. As long as the kids are all treated fairly and given an opportunity to give their best, and the "golden haired boy" syndrome doesn't come into play, then the BDAFL is a fantastic starting point.
Btw, we didn't go to Sydney because the footy was better, we had to move for work, and we were pretty close to doing the opposite, driving back to train and play in the BDAFL each weekend.

Re: Black Diamond AFL Part 2

Having had a son play in both BDAFL and Sydney 18s, and having been involved as an official in both competitions, the standard is no different overall. As long as the kids are all treated fairly and given an opportunity to give their best, and the "golden haired boy" syndrome doesn't come into play, then the BDAFL is a fantastic starting point.
Btw, we didn't go to Sydney because the footy was better, we had to move for work, and we were pretty close to doing the opposite, driving back to train and play in the BDAFL each weekend.

We compete very favourably at Northern Heat level against the "Cream" of Sydney, good to see someone with a similar point of view.

What concerns me is that with most of these kids, they are advised if they want to "better" their careers, Sydney is the go.

I feel that there is an obvious agenda from the clubs vying to pick up some new talent.

There are a number of Under 18's in Sydney and without trying to be a smart ass, there are more than one at Pennant Hills, approx 4 that I know of and none are from Wyong.

At quick recollection, Last season there were at least 4 at Balmain, 1 at East Coast, 2 at Pennant Hills and they are the ones I know of and my Central Coast knowledge is a little scratchy. Just saying if they are 7 of the most talented kids in the comp then thats a problem going forward for the BDAFL.

You make some very valid points Sweans12
Is there a perception that there are more "eyes" in Sydney as far as potential recruitment to upper levels of the sport?
As you say that can be used as an effective lure for Sydney clubs looking to entice young talent from Newe and the coast.
There is no doubt that if the most talented kids ftrom clubs move on to the Sydney competition without any greater likleyhood of being drafted then it is a loss for the BDAFL and one would assume the player in question.
It is an assumption but I think a player who has put a lot of time into footy ie - travel to sydney for training and games and finds that has really got him nowhere may be more likely to walk away from the game than if he was playing with mates he grew up playing with at his local footy ground.
Do many kids who have a crack at the Sydney comp return to the BDAFL if the "pathway" does not become available?

I can honestly tell you that there are just as many "eyes" looking at BDAFL kids, as in Sydney. The best recruiters and talent spotters are never seen, but over the last couple of years there have been fellows regularly travelling up the freeway to watch kids.

There's probably not much that can be done to stop kids going to Sydney, as often it's the parents who think that their kids will do better down there....but offering lots of coaching, talent days, visiting players, etc., and inviting as many youngsters as possible to these, will keep the BDAFL as a viable option.

Finally a bit of football talk, Cant see the top 3 dropping too much, but hopefully the void between the top and bottom is decreased.

Interesting to see a number of talented young guys move on to try their hand elsewhere. Nesbitt Bendigo, Jones Casey and Manley North Shore just to name 3. Great to see but there is becoming a trend to poach talented BDAFL Under 18 juniors to Sydney more specifically Pennant Hills.
They seem brainwashed by the fact that they are better playing 18's in Sydney AFL, but I ask the question what does it achieve to have many of the strongest kids at Penno smashing the opposition most weeks when some may be able to train and play senior football up here instead of sitting in a car for hours on end.

In my years of involvement of watching this happen I cant remember one player that this has worked for but I may stand corrected.

As for the Umpiring debacle, "shambles" how we can afford to let the best of our umpiring crop walk away is beyond me. Maybe I'm losing touch with reality, but last time I looked we needed Umpires to run the game so lets get things back in order.

Your comment is spot on Mr Swan12. We are struggling for umpires (especially good ones) and the BDAFL just seams to come up with ways to drive them away.

Over the last 3 years a number of good experienced umpires including Grant Godfrey & Ashley Borg have been driven away and now Roger.

I was talking to him at club training this morning and he has decided that due to how he has been treated, he is "walking" as well. He summarised it by saying "I know when I am not wanted".

Congratulations BDAFL, another umpire lost. Well done!!

[/b]

Your comment is spot on Mr Swan12. We are struggling for umpires (especially good ones) and the BDAFL just seams to come up with ways to drive them away.

Over the last 3 years a number of good experienced umpires including Grant Godfrey & Ashley Borg have been driven away and now Roger.

I was talking to him at club training this morning and he has decided that due to how he has been treated, he is "walking" as well. He summarised it by saying "I know when I am not wanted".

Congratulations BDAFL, another umpire lost. Well done!!

and here is the photo taken for the press release when roger quit

ManWalking.jpg

Many have tried it and not many have succeeded. Big ask to have a kid doing yr 11 and 12 commuting 3 days a week to Sydney to play 18's and they aren't just coming from the coast, there are kids travelling from as far as Scone to do it.

yea i used to play 16's fri night on the coast and newy then 18's in syd on sat and then league on the sunday, also throw in school footy, union, touch, and all the other sports at school its alot of fun

Every footy club changes coaches every 2 years roughly, seems a bit dramatic to quit just because the league might want to change the coach.

Every footy club changes coaches every 2 years roughly, seems a bit dramatic to quit just because the league might want to change the coach.

I don't think its the issue of changing coaches. In this world there is a right way & a wrong way to treat people. Its called RESPECT.

I believe not much of it was shown.

I can honestly tell you that there are just as many "eyes" looking at BDAFL kids, as in Sydney. The best recruiters and talent spotters are never seen, but over the last couple of years there have been fellows regularly travelling up the freeway to watch kids.

There's probably not much that can be done to stop kids going to Sydney, as often it's the parents who think that their kids will do better down there....but offering lots of coaching, talent days, visiting players, etc., and inviting as many youngsters as possible to these, will keep the BDAFL as a viable option.

Yeah have to agree with you. But I don't think the numbers that head down there are that concerning. Blokes in the BDAFL have played Swans reserves and that and the rams is where you ultimately want to strive for if your any good. The Northern Heat Program, which I have little knowledge about, is where the scouts would do most of there scouting though for scholarships.

As a person who spent a year down there, I suppose there is more consistency with the numbers that show up at training and games at the club I played at. I think there is a difference in the standard to on game day a bit faster than what I have seen on the coast. But like I said before the blokes who are working with the heat and compete at carnivals will be recognized by scouts.

I think the way to go is through the talented players program with the Northern Heat. 10 years ago when their was no talented player program many players played in the Sydney League/Swan Reserves and never really got anywhere. Few to come to mind- Ben Hodges, Courtney Knight, Ben Hunter, Jason Cleaver, may i say if these blokes had the opportunities that are presented to the leagues youngsters today maybe one of them could have made it to the big smoke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be a lot of players leaving the BDAFL and those few that are on the way in are all going to City!

Whos gonna stop them in 2010...

Never know the quality of the players until the first few rounds have passed.

Top 3 sides wont change for 2010 pending injuries of course.

Good to see Gosford performed well in the 13-a-side carnival in Sydney on the weekend. Hopefully they can carry this into the season and push for a top 4 spot!

Killarney Vale beat narrowly Terrigal in their trial, but hard to gauge what this means as both teams were rotating players from thier 1st and ressies.

Terrigal were without Bishop, Brad Male and Polglase to name a few. The Gong looked good as did a few of Killarney Vales younger players.

Hopefully thius is s sign that the Bombers are actually improving and not just a relection of what effort Terrigal put in and who they had out.

Good to see Gosford performed well in the 13-a-side carnival in Sydney on the weekend. Hopefully they can carry this into the season and push for a top 4 spot!

Killarney Vale beat narrowly Terrigal in their trial, but hard to gauge what this means as both teams were rotating players from thier 1st and ressies.

Terrigal were without Bishop, Brad Male and Polglase to name a few. The Gong looked good as did a few of Killarney Vales younger players.

Hopefully thius is s sign that the Bombers are actually improving and not just a relection of what effort Terrigal put in and who they had out.

Sounds good if another team can push into the top few places. However, it was a 13 a side tournament and to be in the top few you need at least 15 to 16 competitive players.

Peter Hampshire, a former Sydney AFL boundary umpire's coach and current running umpire was named NCCUA Coach for 2010 on the website. The trick is, he can only coach one day a week due to work commitments, therefore he has an assistant, who also works in Sydney to help him. Chris Burrows is her name.
Will be an interesting year all round.
Good luck to all teams for the year. Hopefully I'll get to a few games to have a look see!

Justin Blumfield's dominant performance in the Cardiff intraclub might do the trick.

I doubt the BDAFL will award Cardiff a premiership because Justin Blumfield played well in an intraclub match, but i dare say if he plays through the season then that might go a long way to tipping the scales in Cardiffs favour, particually with Conlon and Orton back.

Everyone played a variety of roles and even swaping teams throughout the 4 quarters. JB lined up at CHB, CHF and in the middle. Looked particularly good when he was in the middle and managed the wet conditions well.

Everyone played a variety of roles and even swaping teams throughout the 4 quarters. JB lined up at CHB, CHF and in the middle. Looked particularly good when he was in the middle and managed the wet conditions well.

you would hope he can handle the wet conitions for a former premiership player and playin internation rules for australia

Sounds good if another team can push into the top few places. However, it was a 13 a side tournament and to be in the top few you need at least 15 to 16 competitive players.

Peter Hampshire, a former Sydney AFL boundary umpire's coach and current running umpire was named NCCUA Coach for 2010 on the website. The trick is, he can only coach one day a week due to work commitments, therefore he has an assistant, who also works in Sydney to help him. Chris Burrows is her name.Will be an interesting year all round.
Good luck to all teams for the year. Hopefully I'll get to a few games to have a look see!

Oh my god...... good luck with that. She's a half decent umpire three weeks out of four, and that's being generous. Hope she's done with Sydney footy.

Oh my god...... good luck with that. She's a half decent umpire three weeks out of four, and that's being generous. Hope she's done with Sydney footy.

HEHE! I'm out of umpiring now (everybody's happy about that!) but apparently she still coaches umpires in Sydney too, so I hope the BDAFL haven't bitten off more than they can chew putting on two coaches to do the job.

HEHE! I'm out of umpiring now (everybody's happy about that!) but apparently she still coaches umpires in Sydney too, so I hope the BDAFL haven't bitten off more than they can chew putting on two coaches to do the job.

no borgsta not happy your not umpiring your the best umpire the league has got, wish you were still doing it, could've gone to the country championships and got a standing ovation again(not taking the piss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back