noodles81

Mar 31, 2008
central coast
Well it looks as though the bdafl have decided on the format of the comp (for next year at least)
1st grade same as this year with Singleton promoted (making 9 teams and a bye every week)
2nd grade same as this year but with your 1's having a bye when you take on Nelson's 2's and 18's, They prob wont win many (think Singo in 08) but in the long run they may be better prepared for 1st grade in 2012.
Think Woy woy may of gotten a raw deal as I believe they had a good chance of success with top 16's winning this year, sure to at least be competitive, and everyone knows if you only got 2's competing your in with a shot at the ressies flag

sexualninja

Aug 23, 2008
Brisvegas
Stating the obvious, while the fans were robbed of a result on the weekend the AFL WILL make more money, possibly a lot more than the head honcho will let on, by the playing the grand final MKII

I cant speak for the other AFL playing regions...but surely now is a prime time for the AFL to kick back some funds and allow us our right to a full time general manager of the BDAFL that is paid fair full time wages to do a full time job.

It would definately be a step in the right direction without doubt. The last decade has seen more consistency with the first grade ladder than the BDAFL administration.

noodles81

Mar 31, 2008
central coast
Stating the obvious, while the fans were robbed of a result on the weekend the AFL WILL make more money, possibly a lot more than the head honcho will let on, by the playing the grand final MKII

I cant speak for the other AFL playing regions...but surely now is a prime time for the AFL to kick back some funds and allow us our right to a full time general manager of the BDAFL that is paid fair full time wages to do a full time job.

It would definately be a step in the right direction without doubt. The last decade has seen more consistency with the first grade ladder than the BDAFL administration.

Agree that we need a full time paid GM, not going to hold my breath tho, the 1st grade ladder is not just consistent its nearly perfectly predictable!! Cardiff and City will contest the gf with Terr,KV and Warners fighting it out to see who will miss out,then the rest,the bdafl site made me laugh by suggesting Singo could be there (in the near future) lol beat Wyg,Gos,Mac yeah I can see it happening but the top teams are at least 100 points better than there 2's teams, just ask the last club to win 2 ressies in a row if their looking at BD grand finals, Wyong are keeping their heads above water... just

such_is_life_9

Jul 9, 2008
central coast
Well it looks as though the bdafl have decided on the format of the comp (for next year at least)
1st grade same as this year with Singleton promoted (making 9 teams and a bye every week)
2nd grade same as this year but with your 1's having a bye when you take on Nelson's 2's and 18's, They prob wont win many (think Singo in 08) but in the long run they may be better prepared for 1st grade in 2012.
Think Woy woy may of gotten a raw deal as I believe they had a good chance of success with top 16's winning this year, sure to at least be competitive, and everyone knows if you only got 2's competing your in with a shot at the ressies flag

noodles i have an idea that may solve a few of the players numbers problems..change to 18s to 17s..clubs like singo and nelsons will have a influx of player for first div..also with it bdafl should work with both junior comps and change their grades accordingly such as 16s to 15 etc etc..thoughts?

noodles81

Mar 31, 2008
central coast
noodles i have an idea that may solve a few of the players numbers problems..change to 18s to 17s..clubs like singo and nelsons will have a influx of player for first div..also with it bdafl should work with both junior comps and change their grades accordingly such as 16s to 15 etc etc..thoughts?

I think the age range is part of the problem, happy for it to go to 17's if it will increase numbers.
Either way I still think it needs to be run as a central coast comp and a newcastle comp to limit travel times and I think maximise player and club participation!!

I was in the 17's coast comp and we had huge numbers in our team, then the next year instead of seniors they made it 18's and Newcastle comps combined, we went from players missing out each week to nearly forfeiting due to the age (work starting,HSC for ppl still at school) and all of us getting on the piss!!!

Look at the 16's comps now they are both doing quite well, why not keep it going in 17's/18's?

river

Jun 19, 2008
I see on the BDAFL web site that they are still seeking people to go on the board. No surprise Steve Smith is stepping down considering his health situation. Good luck for the future Mr Smith.

Interesting (and a little surprising) that they say there were no applicants for the Umpires Coach position?

noodles81

Mar 31, 2008
central coast
The website says the draw for 2011 will be finished soon, I was quite interested as to how many teams they think Singo have with their 1st's having a bye and their 2nd' and 3rd's travelling to the bay!!

Any news yet for next year? probably a bit early for recruits but any outs? Is Goolagong goin round again looking to hit the 1000 mark?

swans12

Sep 26, 2006
Nthn NSW
I think the age range is part of the problem, happy for it to go to 17's if it will increase numbers.
Either way I still think it needs to be run as a central coast comp and a newcastle comp to limit travel times and I think maximise player and club participation!!

I was in the 17's coast comp and we had huge numbers in our team, then the next year instead of seniors they made it 18's and Newcastle comps combined, we went from players missing out each week to nearly forfeiting due to the age (work starting,HSC for ppl still at school) and all of us getting on the piss!!!

Look at the 16's comps now they are both doing quite well, why not keep it going in 17's/18's?

Only one problem, the exodus of our best kids mainly to Penno seems to only be gathering pace

noodles81

Mar 31, 2008
central coast
Only one problem, the exodus of our best kids mainly to Penno seems to only be gathering pace

True, someone on here suggested we bring back the Hunters- I thought it may work, not for seniors just for 18's who want to play at that level every week. If we cant keep them in our comp then put our own team in (Penno finished 3rd or 4th) that way they train local and only travel every 2nd weekend just a thought.

Then the remainder play in coast and a Newcastle comp and hopefully continue on to seniors!!
Same as the comp set up, if its not working I think they should at least try something different.

savage hotdog

Sep 29, 2008
Grease Trap
Werribe/ North Ballarat
Congratulations to Alain De Royer-Dupre and Amaricain on winning the 150th Melbourne Cup. Ran a very tidy race.

Commiserations I guess to Bart Cummings and So You Think stable, unlucky the fairytale finish wasn't there for you big guy.

goalkicker11

Feb 14, 2007
house
COME TO THE CALOUNDRA PANTHERS ON THE SUNSHINE COAST!! - POSITIONS VACANT (PREMIERS 2010)

Local, QLD or Interstate Players!! - Move to sunny Coast!!! Jobs, housing assistance available! - for more information please private message me.

Tardus

Jul 14, 2008
Hunter
Well the AGM of the BDAFL has now been held. Firstly, I would like to wish Steve Smith well. Love him or not, he has been President for 3 years and you can't question his commitment or passion.

It was reported he was stepping down due to ill health so good luck Steve and look after yourself.

I see the Scott Harrington is the new President. Congratulations.

I see we have some new board members as well. This may have been the last AGM of the BDAFL. With 3 of the board now from City, I wonder how long it will be before the competition will be renamed:

NEWCASTLE CITY AFL

2CENTS

Rookie
May 24, 2007
HOMEPLATE
SPURS
Well the AGM of the BDAFL has now been held. Firstly, I would like to wish Steve Smith well. Love him or not, he has been President for 3 years and you can't question his commitment or passion.

It was reported he was stepping down due to ill health so good luck Steve and look after yourself.

I see the Scott Harrington is the new President. Congratulations.

I see we have some new board members as well. This may have been the last AGM of the BDAFL. With 3 of the board now from City, I wonder how long it will be before the competition will be renamed:

NEWCASTLE CITY AFL

Good luck and well done for these guys putting there hand up- football people are football people and im sure there pasts are irrelevant there passion cant be questioned.

well done

Northern_Swan

Jul 5, 2005
Newcastle
Newcastle Jets Fulham FC Genoa CFC
Geez Tardus, being a bit harsh on City there mate.

At the end of the day, good on Knight, Harrington & Cutler for sticking their hand up, especially the last 2 who have been involved in the League as players & coaches and putting a bit back.

Might give the board a bit of a different perspective on things, which can only be a good thing.

For the benefit of those not there, were there any other nominations? It seems to be the first time in a while they have had a full board., which again can only be a good thing.

Tardus

Jul 14, 2008
Hunter
Geez Tardus, being a bit harsh on City there mate.

At the end of the day, good on Knight, Harrington & Cutler for sticking their hand up, especially the last 2 who have been involved in the League as players & coaches and putting a bit back.

Might give the board a bit of a different perspective on things, which can only be a good thing.

For the benefit of those not there, were there any other nominations? It seems to be the first time in a while they have had a full board., which again can only be a good thing.

Sorry NS, it was not my intention. I was being a bit "tongue in cheek"

Agree with your comments, there are too many people out there who don't put their hands up and just whinge.

So good on them and lets give them a go.

The Wanderer

Sep 2, 2008
Kotara
I agree, good on the City blokes, these are not positions that can be taken to impose your own style of rule, the constitution and by-laws take care of that.

If you go back through the previous boards they all came from different clubs and I cannot recall any bias being introduced into the league.

All we need now is some good common sense and it will work well.

All the very best fellas.

Well done Steve Smith and we trust your health improves,as far as chairing the Board was concerned you did your best and that is all anyone can do.

West123

Sep 4, 2009
Flying High
Singo 1sts were very evenly matched with the Hawks reserves last year. Winning might be a distant memory for the club come round 1.

West123

Sep 4, 2009
Flying High
Also, I assume that Nelson Bay will be coping an opponent whose first grade has the bye so would likely see a few first graders every week, might give them a tougher run.

noodles81

Mar 31, 2008
central coast
Also, I assume that Nelson Bay will be coping an opponent whose first grade has the bye so would likely see a few first graders every week, might give them a tougher run.

I think that Singo will compete with most of the other clubs, except for Cardiff and City.

As for Nelsons they will be like Singo in 08, if they embrace the challenge they will be better off in the future.
I believe they will have a very strong 18's next year so that should give them a good base.

Super0703

Rookie
Mar 6, 2007
Hunter
Driving past Hunter Sports High the other week and noticed a footy oval there (not sure how long it's been there). Is it in good nick? Also can a club or clubs use it? Considering the dramas we had last season with grounds and washouts might be something to look into I guess or maybe not, whatever, I'm just a local supporter wanting to see a bit of local footy most weekends during the season.

deitzy

Dec 27, 2006
gosford
Super there is a ground at Hunter Sports but only about 110 metres long and 50 wide. So bit too small, also doesnt hold the water too well. The program the AFL runs there gets moved off the oval at the drop of a hat as it gets pretty bad underfoot.

I believe the league will instigate a wet weather plan this year to ensure we dont lose games if it is too wet for games to go ahead. Anything we can do to keep match ratio out of the equation is for the better.

How are clubs looking for next year with coaches/new players/players moving on etc. Any movement as yet? I know Gosford have appointed Teddy Crowden as coach again after a few years away from the game. Would be good for the comp if he can turn the Tigers around.

Interstate

May 1, 2008
Newcastle
Super there is a ground at Hunter Sports but only about 110 metres long and 50 wide. So bit too small, also doesnt hold the water too well. The program the AFL runs there gets moved off the oval at the drop of a hat as it gets pretty bad underfoot.

I believe the league will instigate a wet weather plan this year to ensure we dont lose games if it is too wet for games to go ahead. Anything we can do to keep match ratio out of the equation is for the better.

How are clubs looking for next year with coaches/new players/players moving on etc. Any movement as yet? I know Gosford have appointed Teddy Crowden as coach again after a few years away from the game. Would be good for the comp if he can turn the Tigers around.

===

wet weather plan will be good - all cup games at nelson bay and/or singleton with extra monies to cover umpires and lost canteen revenue