Blaine Boekhorst - oooops

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting your dad to slam the front door on recruiting officers and telling them that your son is not going to Perth ... and then accusing another recruiting officer of bullying your son when asking about his lifestyle balance when it comes to school. :thumbsu:
I don't think it was quite as bad as that.

The Boek will be fine. Will be better next season.. needs high end fitess and confidence which he is slowly getting same with Kristian Jaksch which has had a slow start with injuries.
Boek needs some experience around him that's where Gibbs, Walker and Daisy come in handy. Not sure Carrazzo will play on next season hope he does
umm if he doesn't have good endurance then I have nfi why you decided to draft him. He is 21 and plays outside mid - a position where strong endurance is mandatory.

Getting your dad to slam the front door on recruiting officers and telling them that your son is not going to Perth ... and then accusing another recruiting officer of bullying your son when asking about his lifestyle balance when it comes to school. :thumbsu:
His Dad simply said that his son wanted to complete his studies.
Kav has been drafted well before he should have anyhow, judging by his output.

I have no doubt Laverde will be a star for Essendon, but I honestly doubt there will be many players taken after Boekhorst that will become guns, last year's draft class looks bog ordinary, especially compared to the class of 2013.

Respectfully, all 3 of St Kilda's selections post Boekhurst look better in Goddard, Lonie & Sinclair. Not wanting to pile on, but I think you're being pretty forgiving with that assessment.

Respectfully, all 3 of St Kilda's selections post Boekhurst look better in Goddard, Lonie & Sinclair. Not wanting to pile on, but I think you're being pretty forgiving with that assessment.
Ditto: 4 of the 5 kids we took with live selections have debuted and shown good signs too - I wouldn't swap any of McLean, Webb, Dale or Daniel for Boekhurst

Agree or disagree all you like we wanted best available run and carry and Boek will provide that.

Our first two picks albeit not 18 year olds..and am fine with that got us Jaksch & Boekhorst. Who will be starters next season.

Along with Cripps, a fit Menzel, Docherty, Buckley, Graham.... Cieran Byrne unlucky to be injured this year will play together for next 10 years.

If we trade out Yarran and Henderson should get us picks anywhere between 8-18 (or they wont be traded)

Potentially draft Weitering, Curnow and Weideman in first round - Gresham or Dunkley 2nd round....along with Rice and Silvagni

That's six youngsters along with the eight mentioned above and will have one more draft to go and almost 50% of list is filled with talented youngsters. Then we can look at free agents by then Carrazzo retired, Daisy contract expired, Simpson will be 33

It can turn around very quickly if done right.

Don't forget Dan McKenzie, who we got with pick 22, who is a similar type to Boekhorst, with the outside run, carry and quality kicking, but with probably a more balanced inside/outside game and a bigger tank already, to go with his top-notch speed/linebreaking ability and elite agility.

The club told us that we recruited Boekhorst because he was a mature-age, outside runner with elite pace and ready for AFL football. Why in God's name we didn't recruit Adam Saad is beyond me. It is one of the worst recruiting decisions I've ever seen (after Tambling to Richmond) and I'm convinced that Shane Rogers was pushed to resign because of it.

...while I'm at it, trading pick 7 into Jaksch/Whiley/pick 19 was a shocking decision. When Jake Lever slipped passed pick 7 I was annoyed, then when we picked Boekhorst at 19 I nearly fell off my chair. How can someone in the AFL system get it so wrong? and it's not the first time either. I'm still fuming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club told us that we recruited Boekhorst because he was a mature-age, outside runner with elite pace and ready for AFL football. Why in God's name we didn't recruit Adam Saad is beyond me. It is one of the worst recruiting decisions I've ever seen (after Tambling to Richmond) and I'm convinced that Shane Rogers was pushed to resign because of it.

...while I'm at it, trading pick 7 into Jaksch/Whiley/pick 19 was a shocking decision. When Jake Lever slipped passed pick 7 I was annoyed, then when we picked Boekhorst at 19 I nearly fell off my chair. How can someone in the AFL system get it so wrong? and it's not the first time either. I'm still fuming.

In hindsight it's not a trade that needed to happen. Two of those players you could've picked up much later. Whiley is a good state league player and is a player you could've picked up in the PSD or as a DFA, he didn't really need to be a apart of the trade. Boekhorst from memory was not featured in any phantom drafts, so it was a big surprise to most when you took him at 19. A player you could've taken most likely later in the draft, and then Kristian Jaksch, a player who is out of contract, and was coming home regardless. Pick 12 in the 2012 draft, didn't really do much to enhance his value while there. A solid prospect that can play both ends.

Would Carlton supporters had been happy with a trade of Pick 7 for KJ? Because that's effectively what it was if you take into the account that both Whiley and Boekhorst would've been able to have been picked up for a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Thats right.
But its unfair to measure this half way through the season. Wasn't Ahern #7 last year?

I have seen nothing to indicate that Carlton will get true value from Jacksh - I would have kept pick 7 and selected Lever - Carlton recruiters struggle picking talls.

In hindsight it's not a trade that needed to happen. Two of those players you could've picked up much later. Whiley is a good state league player and is a player you could've picked up in the PSD or as a DFA, he didn't really need to be a apart of the trade. Boekhorst from memory was not featured in any phantom drafts, so it was a big surprise to most when you took him at 19. A player you could've taken most likely later in the draft, and then Kristian Jaksch, a player who is out of contract, and was coming home regardless. Pick 12 in the 2012 draft, didn't really do much to enhance his value while there. A solid prospect that can play both ends.

Would Carlton supporters had been happy with a trade of Pick 7 for KJ? Because that's effectively what it was if you take into the account that both Whiley and Boekhorst would've been able to have been picked up for a lot cheaper.
Spot on post that, they have effectively paid almost as much as pick 7 for Jaksch and he's not worth anywhere near that much given he originally went at pick 12 in a compromised draft (effectively pick 17 or so if you add in all those that would have gone ahead of him under usual circumstances) and did nothing to enhance that value while he was at GWS, plus he was out of contract. He was worth approx pick 20, IMO.

Given that all 3 are in their 20's and as such would have been expected to have been able to make an immediate impact (especially Whiley and Boekhorst) it's hard to argue that it hasn't been a horrible trade at this stage.

Spot on post that, they have effectively paid almost as much as pick 7 for Jaksch and he's not worth anywhere near that much given he originally went at pick 12 in a compromised draft (effectively pick 17 or so if you add in all those that would have gone ahead of him under usual circumstances) and did nothing to enhance that value while he was at GWS, plus he was out of contract. He was worth approx pick 20, IMO.

Given that all 3 are in their 20's and as such would have been expected to have been able to make an immediate impact (especially Whiley and Boekhorst) it's hard to argue that it hasn't been a horrible trade at this stage.

It was actually Jaksch, Whiley + pick 19 for pick 7.

Andrew McKay said they drafted him to play forward eventually

"Securing Kristian was certainly a priority for us this trade period and we're rapt to have got the deal done," McKay said.

"We see him as a player who is going to give us another tall marking option, as well as flexibility, given he can play forward and back.

"While he is still developing, we believe he will be a 10-year player for our football club.

I see nothing wrong with the trade - Kristian has had few games learning in defence but expect him to play forward next season

The issue isn't that he won't make it (I'd say he will), it's that for someone "ready for AFL football" he's played less games than many 18-19 year olds drafted later than him.

I HIGHLY doubt Shane Rogers was pushed because of 1 pick.
He seemed to do alright at Geelong....
Im tipping he walked out on Carlton.

I HIGHLY doubt Shane Rogers was pushed because of 1 pick.
He seemed to do alright at Geelong....
Im tipping he walked out on Carlton.
Luke Williams was the recruiter we had from Geeling who walked....because we wanted Cripps with our first. He's now at Richmond.
Rogers came from Freo originally and left a year after Williams.hes now a Vic based scout for Brisbane.

Agree or disagree all you like we wanted best available run and carry and Boek will provide that.

Our first two picks albeit not 18 year olds..and am fine with that got us Jaksch & Boekhorst. Who will be starters next season.

Along with Cripps, a fit Menzel, Docherty, Buckley, Graham.... Cieran Byrne unlucky to be injured this year will play together for next 10 years.

If we trade out Yarran and Henderson should get us picks anywhere between 8-18 (or they wont be traded)

Potentially draft Weitering, Curnow and Weideman in first round - Gresham or Dunkley 2nd round....along with Rice and Silvagni

That's six youngsters along with the eight mentioned above and will have one more draft to go and almost 50% of list is filled with talented youngsters. Then we can look at free agents by then Carrazzo retired, Daisy contract expired, Simpson will be 33

It can turn around very quickly if done right.
I hope so

The trade and the player we drafted are two seperate things.
If all these players eg Laverde, Goddard, McLean are capable of becoming guns then it makes it a very good trade because we could of potentially picked a very good player in KJ and a future gun with pick 19. If Boekhurst is a bust and several players taken after him turn out guns then that's poor drafting not trading.

If no good players or very few are picked after 19 then we should have known better and kept seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back