Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Carlton :thumbsu:

Pick 19: Blaine Boekhorst

Blaine Boekhorst

Club: Swan Districts
DOB: 2/09/1993
Height: 184cm
Weight: 75kg

Blaine Boekhorst is a 21-year-old pacey midfielder known for his run and carry. The former state volleyballer has more recently utilised his jumping and movement skills in the AFL and is also recognised as a great ball user.

Pick 19: Blaine Boekhorst

Blues choose Boekhorst

Boekhorst is 20-year-old midfielder who hails from Port Hedland in Western Australia.

He has been playing for Swan Districts in the WAFL and enjoyed a breakout season in 2014, representing Western Australia against a combined NEAFL team.

Carlton’s National Recruiting Manager Shane Rogers says Boekhurst impressed the Blues recruiters.

“Blaine ticked the boxes for us with his speed, agility and outside run. He’s the type of player who really takes on the opposition and will give us some depth in the midfield,” Rogers said.

Blues choose Boekhorst

Blue Blaine living the dream

“I’m just a running midfielder who breaks the lines, makes good decisions, has good skills with hand and foot and is someone who can take the game on and provide the x-factor,” came the reply.

“I’ve focused my energies into footy to hopefully get drafted and realise my dream. Now I’m hoping to put my foot in the door and make a name from there.”

Blue Blaine living the dream

AFL Draft Tracker:

The 21-year-old midfielder really burst to prominence at the Swan Districts this season. He had played just 25 WAFL matches in the previous three seasons but he played 19 of 20 games this year and was a force in the midfield. He averaged nearly 21 touches across the season. Has a knack for taking the game on with run and carry, has good pace and breaks the line. He has really improved in winning contested football and there he has attracted some interest from AFL clubs following his WAFL season.

Mad Monday Show - Blaine Boekhorst Player Profile

STRENGTHS:
Line Breaking Speed: Boekhorst has a good stride, accelerates well and looks to take the game on. He is able to push past multiple players, get out of congestion and into free space. His electrifying speed is a big asset to both his inside and outside game, not only is he running hard and fast along a wing, but Boekhorst combines his agility with his speed to easily navigate himself through traffic and break free. The Swan District speedster averaged 8 handball receives in the WAFL Seniors this season, which shows that he likes to run and become a target.

Contested Ball: Boekhorst averaged 3 clearances a game this season, and this was purely due to his ability to be really clean in the contest. He picks the ball up well, and then his hands out of congestion are super quick! He positions himself well in the contest, even though he has a light frame. Boekhorst is an exciting inside and outside midfielder.

Great Execution In his Kicking: A good user of the ball, he is quite a clever kick, and is able to hit hard angles and targets with relative ease. It comes back to his ability to find space through hard work, making it easier to kick efficiently.

Versatility: Boekhorst is versatile in that not only is he able to contribute, but also make a big impact in several positions. His running speed is elite on the outside on a wing, and his cleanliness around the contest makes him a weapon as an inside midfielder. Boekhorst has also played roles as a third tall.

WEAKNESSES:
Defensive Mindset: Boekhorst at times lets himself down with his defensive efforts, and is rated as below average in this area. He needs to focus on improving his two – way running, and not just looking to reap the rewards going forward.

Previously Been Overlooked : Blaine Boekhorst has been overlooked a couple times, last year he was a chance to get picked up but it wasn’t to be. It’s hard to know whether the recruiters might know something as some really impressive State Players get overlooked consistently year after year.

Skippos 2014 Phantom Draft:

54. Blaine Boekhorst (WAFL, Line-breaking outside midfielder)
182 cm, 70 kg, 2/9/93
Range: 25-60
Style: Heath Shaw (when playing midfield)

A 21 year old mature aged player, Boekhorst has been overlooked several times in the draft - likely due to uncertainties over how he'd develop. With his recentmost exceptional WAFL season, plenty of those doubts now no longer exist. Averaging 21 disposals for Swan Districts in 2014, it wasn't the quantity of ball that attracted attention but the damage he did. Boekhorst possesses excellent speed on the outside and has a natural tendency to break the lines and gain territory via running. Not only is his speed excellent but his agility is good too, he's able to evade with relative ease. On the inside Boekhorst possesses a decent burst and has clean hands at ground level, allowing him to be a deceptively good player in clearance situations. Aside from that though, he lacks the physical presence and desire to impact the inside more often; his work there is done via speed and cleanliness as opposed to a hard edge. That said, he still is a better option inside than most line breakers. By foot Boekhorst is solid with his vision and creativity impressive. Like plenty of line breaking midfielders, Boekhorst can be found wanting defensively with his primary intention to find the ball as opposed to check a man. He also still only accumulates 21 disposals a game at WAFL level so while skilled, he's not a serious accumulator at the moment.

Snoop Dog 2014 Phantom Draft:

# 6 Carlton – Blaine Boekhurst
Club: Swan Districts
Height: 186
Weight: 74kg
Position: Midfielder
Bio: He is a player this 20yo. I see a bit of Swan Districts and he has talent to burn. 20yo and he has been in and out for a bit in previous years but has really caught the eye this year and has the tempo of the WAFL seniors level. Quick and loves to run and carry and generally uses it pretty well. Seen him do some really courageous things and if he could put some more weight on would be a real find and would not be surprised to see him circa 50. Collingwood would love his type.

Last edited:
Focussed Blaine looks to Round 1

BlaineBoekhorstOfficialArticle_620X370.jpg

"I played senior footy in Perth so my goal is to play as early as possible (and) make my own imprint at the Carlton Football Club,” Boekhorst said.

"I think being 21 is an advantage – (and having) that midfield speed, someone to break the lines, use the ball along to our forwards and adapt to the game plan."

I'm not playing the "we shouldn't have reached game" because I genuinely haven't seen him play enough but...How is his contested ball play and does he have the willingness to tackle? Sin City you seen him play?

I'm not playing the "we shouldn't have reached game" because I genuinely haven't seen him play enough but...How is his contested ball play and does he have the willingness to tackle? Sin City you seen him play?
Haven't seen it myself but in the stats table ODN posted on the welcome thread, he had games this year with 5 or so tackles, but then others where he had 0 - I guess it would be helpful to know how the team went that day too.

Another absolute ripper pick, Blaine has been brilliant this year in the WAFL playing league for Swan Districts against very good opposition. He has brilliant speed and has the X factor... so much upside to him....wow cant wait to see him play as he should be ready to play league from round 1

Seriously Blaine is a gun, we have recruited so well this year!!! Blaine is one of the nicest blokes you could meet and man he can play!!!
Yeah expecting him to really shine this year, especially as the year progresses. Has some really good qualities that I think have been underrated by a lot of people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best thing I have heard on this forum is that he is a good bloke! Sounded like there were too many knobs with high opinions of themselves rather than down to earth blokes who just want to have a crack (Blaine, Cripps, Everitt etc).

I reckon he will play seniors and have a real impact; dare I say a really good prospect for the sub..

The best thing I have heard on this forum is that he is a good bloke! Sounded like there were too many knobs with high opinions of themselves rather than down to earth blokes who just want to have a crack (Blaine, Cripps, Everitt etc).

I reckon he will play seniors and have a real impact; dare I say a really good prospect for the sub..

I remember Robinson and Lucas laughing at Watson and Buckley's ability on the podcast.

A year later and things are looking a bit differently now :oops:

Blaine looks to have settled in nicely and is performing well without doing anything outstanding.

Has some serious weapons which we haven't seen yet but they'll come out once he becomes more confident at senior level and in his ability.

Certainly putting his hand up for a senior spot in round 1 and I do think we'll see him against Richmond. Could be a great option as the substitute early in his career.

I think his got to be close. The only thing that might be of concern. Is R1 vs Tigers 80.000 at the G

Talk about being thrown in at the deep end. Although this might be one of the bonus of taking a mature ager.

The occasion might not be too big an issue for him.

I think BB in particular was brought in to help Yazz out. Harder to stop twin turbo.

If his ready he needs to play. If his fitness is not up to a full game we can always sub him off.

Tutt would be a good Sub. His quick can hit a target and hits scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back