List Mgmt. Blair Hartley Project - 2014 - 5 list spaces confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shiel or Mitchell are my number one targets. We need more quality pure midfielders into the side to release our guns in Deledio, Martin and Cotchin to float forward and back without worry.

We need big pre seasons from Ellis to get that A grader level and Vlastuin and Conca to get close to that level. Miles keeps tracking how he is.

They are our core midfield group. We need a few more. Inside and outside.

A small forward and a Ruckman is also on the agenda. We can obtain that small forward via the draft. Plenty of quality around. Ruckman is the harder one.
Your opinion or the club's goals?

Thoughts on Liam Anthony from the Roos. Runner up in the Liston Trophy for the VFL. 27 years old next year, might be handy depth.

In the VFL his stats were:
15 games
15.5 kicks per game
13.2 handballs per game
10 handball receives per game
5.8 marks per game
6.4 tackles per game

Given he seems to be so out of favour at the Roos we could get him for next to nothing, maybe even as a DFA depending on contract status. The big knock on him was his lack of defensive pressure when in the Roos senior side, but apparently he has worked on his game in that aspect as you can see by his tackle numbers in the VFL. Not saying that Anthony would be a walk up start to the side, but he could as I said above handy depth to have just in case.
* no.

should chase Devon Smith from GWS
We would have taken him before Brando. Can play.

Realise that but gotta weigh up what's best for us.

I definitely think Montagna is gettable and not for a huge amount. I know Pelchen and his ideals would be to get a new crew in. No harm in asking the question and selling the dream to him. Goddard, Chapman and Dal Santo have shown what valuable assets they are. Sure they were for free but I'm not concerned of paying a premium for an improvement.

That's what it's all about.

We need significant improvement into us our we will just continue to be a mediocre side. We can either get that by heading to the draft, trading for established players or a bit of both.

I like the combination myself.

If we can get a Shiel or Mitchell for our first then you'd do it.

Montagna maybe we downgrade our second round pick for a third and Montagna. I don't know I'm just suggesting options to get us to win a flag.

I hope the club do not think we are close to a flag and it will naturally happen. We took a step up to be a finals contention team. The gap between this and a flag contender is just as big.

So what do we do?
Montagna is not the difference between us and a top four spot. If he was a free agent, yes.

Given the choice, who's better, Shiel or Mitchell?
I lean towards Shiel. Runs harder, kicks goals.

Realise that but gotta weigh up what's best for us.

I definitely think Montagna is gettable and not for a huge amount. I know Pelchen and his ideals would be to get a new crew in. No harm in asking the question and selling the dream to him. Goddard, Chapman and Dal Santo have shown what valuable assets they are. Sure they were for free but I'm not concerned of paying a premium for an improvement.

That's what it's all about.

We need significant improvement into us our we will just continue to be a mediocre side. We can either get that by heading to the draft, trading for established players or a bit of both.

I like the combination myself.

If we can get a Shiel or Mitchell for our first then you'd do it.

Montagna maybe we downgrade our second round pick for a third and Montagna. I don't know I'm just suggesting options to get us to win a flag.

I hope the club do not think we are close to a flag and it will naturally happen. We took a step up to be a finals contention team. The gap between this and a flag contender is just as big.

So what do we do?
I am all for the idea but for the right players and cost. Older exp players up to 28, then yes, but not any older. You only bring a player like Montagna when you are already in the flag window(at that age), of which we aren't. In our position those players at 28 can still go at full tilt when we are ready for our flag assault and those older player will have retired by then ala Chapman.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't bringing in aged 30+ players in their twilight years soooo Richmond 2000's......
We're not a Bartelor/montanga/o'keefe away from being a premiership chance.... We're 5-10 players away from being any hope

Our problem then wasn't age. It was the players brought in.

This age nonsense is exactly that. Nonsense. Brent Harvey is how old but looks like he can continue on for a few more years, but a Newman is younger and lost all his athletic abilities and looks older by the week.

There's more factors than age.

My opinion is Montagna can play another high level 4 to 5 years.

If we don't believe we are in our window chance in these years, well not sure what we are doing.

Another gun midfielder, knows what September is all about, provides more outside run and carry which we lack besides Ellis, who know is getting tagged because of this.

Another midfielder who comes in to make that depth chart look like a side who can challenge.

Just my opinion. Think he'd be very good for us.

This age nonsense is exactly that. Nonsense. Brent Harvey is how old but looks like he can continue on for a few more years, but a Newman is younger and lost all his athletic abilities and looks older by the week.

If we don't believe we are in our window chance in these years, well not sure what we are doing.

Another gun midfielder, knows what September is all about, provides more outside run and carry which we lack besides Ellis, who know is getting tagged because of this.

Another midfielder who comes in to make that depth chart look like a side who can challenge.

Don't mind the idea of him, good quality replacing average quality... as long as we don't have to pay too much (in terms of cap) I'm all for it. We'd get him as a FA yeah?

If we get montagna for nothing.... Fine. But trading a pick for a 30 odd year old is incredibly short sighted. He wont push us to top 4. Our bottom 6-10 is whats stopping us. We are miles off freo/haw/syd

No 30+ year olds. Just because North have had some success with Dal Santo it doesn't mean that we need to go down the same path. Our midfield group is not one full of inexperienced players:

Deledio 214 games
Foley 154 games
Edwards 152 games
Cotchin 131 games
Martin 108 games
Conca 71 games
Ellis 65 games
Vlastuin 38 games
Miles 23 games

That is the core group and it's a very strong midfield that for the second half of the season was one of the best midfield groups in the league.

In support of them there are the depth players like:
Grigg 124 games
Thomas 100 games
Petterd 83 games
Gordon 14 games
Arnot 8 games
Lennon 7 games

As I said above that group was good enough to be one of the best midfield units in the league over the last couple of years when it's been up and running. Add a couple more classy kids from the draft and we'll be right. No need to go and get guys like Montagna or O'Keefe. We have enough experience to see us through and we need to develop those younger players even more so that they can step up as a few of the older blokes come towards the end.

Montagna is 31 this year , 4-5 years left , no way

players like Harvey, Montagna can play as long as they keep thier speed, once they lose that they are done!

players like Harvey, Montagna can play as long as they keep thier speed, once they lose that they are done!
Using players like Harvey as the reason to get 30+old players is ridiculous. Talk about outliers as most cant play for that long. The idea is ok if your in the timeframe of a hawks or Sydney but not for us. Just my op of course.

Using players like Harvey as the reason to get 30+old players is ridiculous. Talk about outliers as most cant play for that long. The idea is ok if your in the timeframe of a hawks or Sydney but not for us. Just my op of course.
We missed the top 4 last year by a loss to Carlton we never should of had. If we beat Melbourne , Bulldogs and Goldxoast this year which we should of then we would of been top 4 . We are not far off and we certainly have the cattle . The funny thing is if we did make top 4 the Richmond army and our passion could just get us over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back