List Mgmt. Blair Hartley Project - 2014 - 5 list spaces confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Dea can make it if given the chance?

Very much so. Needs game time. He had a brilliant year last year in the 2's. And to be honest, considering he seemed intent on moving Houli up the field this year, I would have thought that it would have been a great opportunity to play Dea at HB last year for 5-6 games considering how well we were going. Wasted opportunity:thumbsdown:

So if he kicks straight he wins Carlton the game to beat us, sounds realistic

Mcdonough isn't a crumbing small forward.

I was under the impression that's why we got him ? Happy to be corrected by those in the know, but I could have sworn that was the case.....:confused:

I was under the impression that's why we got him ? Happy to be corrected by those in the know, but I could have sworn that was the case.....:confused:

I was to but Hardwick seems set on him being a HBF?

Very much so. Needs game time. He had a brilliant year last year in the 2's. And to be honest, considering he seemed intent on moving Houli up the field this year, I would have thought that it would have been a great opportunity to play Dea at HB last year for 5-6 games considering how well we were going. Wasted opportunity:thumbsdown:
Should have stayed in after the WC game I thought.

He can crumb as well as lead and mark. Played as a small forward early in Champs and then became the FF when Menzel went down injured. Was also developing into a nice midfielder by the end of under 18's. Was an absolute ball magnet.

Can you give me an example of when he has done this?

2011 elimination final? kicked 3 goals in the first quarter?

Round 17 last year against North? they won by a point, he kicked 2 massive goals in the last and had 4 for the game

he kicked 43 goals last year!!

2011 elimination final? kicked 3 goals in the first quarter?

Round 17 last year against North? they won by a point, he kicked 2 massive goals in the last and had 4 for the game

he kicked 43 goals last year!!

So he's done it once in how many games has he played? You make it sound like it's a regular thing.
Look, I like your thinking but I want someone who is reliable and consistent. Garlett is the exact opposite of these characteristics and you would have to agree that generally he is a horrendous shot for goal. We can do better.

I was to but Hardwick seems set on him being a HBF?

Part of his development I'd suggest ? He did say in an interview earlier this season I think it was. That he has to learn how to apply pressure like Jakie to get his shot in the forward line (I'm pretty sure that's what he said), But I've also been hearing he's having great games through the middle in the 2's. But that's even better for me, a small forward who can rotate through the mids too, bonus!!!

He can crumb as well as lead and mark. Played as a small forward early in Champs and then became the FF when Menzel went down injured. Was also developing into a nice midfielder by the end of under 18's. Was an absolute ball magnet.

One of the reasons why I drool to see him and Lloydy as our small forwards with McD going through the mids and allowing, Cotch, Lids or Martin to rest up forward. Very difficult for oppositions to match up on that kind of rotation. Dare I say it DELICIOUS !!

So he's done it once in how many games has he played? You make it sound like it's a regular thing.
Look, I like your thinking but I want someone who is reliable and consistent. Garlett is the exact opposite of these characteristics and you would have to agree that generally he is a horrendous shot for goal. We can do better.

Do you not understand he kicked 43 goals last year, who is out there that is gonna be a better option?

IMO we need a small forward and another key to replace TV.

Comments on your thoughts:

1. o'rourke has done nothing to warrant giving up pick 8 for him. What do you see in him over the past 12 months that warrants this? Not sure and I would be goinf off our recruiting staff. We wouldn't be giving up our first rounder just moving it back 10-12 spots for a guy who was pick 2 and can clearly play.

2. Will get a similar return for Vickery as Gumbleton last year. Pick 50 odd. Would you get rid of him for that? Are you kidding me? Gumbleton got that because he can't stay on the park. We would get a pick 15-25 imo which would be fair. I am saying trade him not delist him, so only let him go for a good deal.

3. A quick outsider at pick 21 is a risk, something we have been averse to doing with our first pick, but I agree it fills a need in the side. 100% we need this player and it might be a risk but you can't just keep taking workman type slow players.

4. Harpers looks slow to me. What has he done at AFL level? Not a high possession getter. Doesn't have a defensive side. He's slow. Does he kick goals? Is he an upgrade on Lennon and Knights? Harper is super quick and kicks goals His issues are he doesn't get enough of the ball, however when he was in Norths best 22 at stages he did look quite good. He is no better or worse than what Lennon/Knights offers us imo as Lennon has yet to prove himself at AFL given he is only 18 and Knights is injury prone. I am not saying he is to be chosen over those two but he is the kind of player that could be picked up relatively cheaply at the end of the year and I would like to give a second chance to instead of the slow skilless plodders we keep getting. Harper has a heap of talent as a HFF/FP/Wingman and if he got regular games in a AFL side I imagine him to be a more skillful, bigger version of Robin Nahas. Worth a shot is all I am saying.

5. Gibbs is a front runner. We have enough of those. Would prefer we had a crack at a strong willed mid.
I agree he is a front runner but he would be running without any attention in our 22. Cotch/Lids would cop the tag and he is talented. If you find me another 25 yr old FA that has the proven performances and talent of Gibbs I am all ears. We need to start injecting quality into our mix as successful sides generally develop better, attract other players and retain our own. Gibbs would mean Shaun Grigg isn't best 22 and would improve our side immediately. We have to start having a crack at these types of Free Agents.

6. Would hold on to Thomas. He's our best pure clearance player. There's a spot for him and we don't have anyone better.
That is all well and good but we are going no where with this bloke. There is a reason he wasn't in Ports best 22 and we have seen it. Shocking skills mean that half his clearances are nullified by the fact he sells his teamates out constantly with handballs. I would prefer to see Brad Helbig in their right now (even if he hasn't earned the spot) and say it's yours to lose. At least we know Brad has upside and we can work out if he can play or chop him off. Thomas is a stop gap and you can only afford one of Thomas, Jackson, Grigg, Petterd in our side.

Reply in bold

2. So you are saying a sides like Carlton, Brisbane, Saints wouldn't give a pick in the teens or upgrade on picks for Vickery?

All for trading Vickery. However I don't think a club would give up a pick in the teens for Vickery.

Look at the last 3 trade periods. These are the picks that tall forwards got traded for:

M Clarke - 12
C Dawes - 20
Gunston- 24
Crameri - 26
J White - 44

Where does Vickery fit in here?
From my point of view the Demons overpaid on both Clarke and Dawes but it shows lightning does strike twice. And these guys were in peak form the year they were traded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All for trading Vickery. However I don't think a club would give up a pick in the teens for Vickery.

Look at the last 3 trade periods. These are the picks that tall forwards got traded for:

M Clarke - 12
C Dawes - 20
Gunston- 24
Crameri - 26

J White - 44

Where does Vickery fit in here?
From my point of view the Demons overpaid on both Clarke and Dawes but it shows lightning does strike twice. And these guys were in peak form the year they were traded.

If Clarke stayed on the park he would have been worth a top 5 pick.

You are saying these players were in peak form?

they year Dawes got traded he kicked 16 goals, for a key forward that's ordinary.

Last year Crameri played 16 games kicking 30 goals(good effort) but was out of favour.

in 2011 Gunston played 12 games for 19 goals which means he wasn't in peak form.

Vickery would at least demand pick 26.

If Clarke stayed on the park he would have been worth a top 5 pick.

You are saying these players were in peak form?

they year Dawes got traded he kicked 16 goals, for a key forward that's ordinary.

Last year Crameri played 16 games kicking 30 goals(good effort) but was out of favour.

in 2011 Gunston played 12 games for 19 goals which means he wasn't in peak form.

Vickery would at least demand pick 26.
Would rather all of them (bar Mitch who's retired). So he would come after all of them in pecking order .

Forget about trading Vickery for at least another 12mnths.Wait and see on Griff,Elton and Mcbean.Whats killing our fwds is the slow movement of the ball,You only have to look at the 2nd half of the doggies match to see what i'm saying.
We need speed and outside runners with a tank.
Shopping list?

Saying he can't crumb and be a small forward is like saying that of a young Paul Chapman.

Players I think we could get and would be handy ( there is a lot)

David MacKay
Ryan Lester
Tom Bell
Jeff Gartlett
Chris Yarran

Ben Kennedy
Matt De Boer
Stephen Hill
WHE
Kristian Jaksch
Zach Williams
Brandon Matera
Jed Anderson

Sam Blease
Harper ( not overly sold)
Sam Wright
Tim Membery
Sam Reid

Ones bolded I am interested in us to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back