Strategy Blair Hartley Project 2015 II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is but we need someone in the trenches to release Dusty and Cotch

He may be a decent role player, but I'm legit surprised that you're advocating us recruiting someone who'll be turning 34 next year.

There are better, longer term options surely?

He may be a decent role player, but I'm legit surprised that you're advocating us recruiting someone who'll be turning 34 next year.

There are better, longer term options surely?

Of course but they don't become FA agents till later years and we might sneak a premiership in 2016 without compromising our prospects down the track by still going heavy in the draft.

He is 32 by the way.

On yearly contracts he might be effective at 34 and after would be an unbudgeted bonus tbh.

One needs to look at value options when your trying to add Bartel and possibly Kruzeur as well

Of course but they don't become FA agents till later years and we might snitch a premiership in 2016 without compromising our prospects down the track by still going heavy in the draft.

He is 32 by the way.

On yearly contracts he might be effective at 34 and after would be an unbudgeted bonus tbh

Frankly I don't see a 34 year old being the catalyst to lift us up to premiership standard. It screams of Essendon recruiting Chapman and Cooney, North Waite and Higgins. It'd be a waste of time long term.

This seems very out of character for you :p

Frankly I don't see a 34 year old being the catalyst to lift us up to premiership standard. It screams of Essendon recruiting Chapman and Cooney, North Waite and Higgins. It'd be a waste of time long term.

I think Boyd is better for his age than Cooney and Chapman.

Waite and Higgins are not complete footballers in terms of roles either.

My character is based on value, timing and quality. Usually this means go to the draft. But given the change in opportunities I think we need to go FA and the draft now.

We can top up with further FA agents later and to replace Bartel and Boyd when they retire as they become available.

We can only do this while the likes of Rance are still at their prime ages unless we draft recruit more gun stars going forward. Remember when Dusty gets older and Rance hits his thirties with Cotch like Hodge and Hawthorn etc.. no one will want to come to us and they will be eyeing the Bulldogs or Melbourne etc..

Thats why we still need to go to the draft to attract replacements for the likes of our guns when they get older and we look to a Bontempelli or whoever the next star who wants a premiership will be.

I mainly discriminate on value. I don't like overpaying and getting duds which compromises our premiership prospects and Dunstall said we were short 3 A graders or so

Last edited:
If O'mera has only got patella tendinitis it should have little to no effect on his career . It is most certainly manageable enough .
Only? Its manageable at best. You can push through it game day but it affects your recovery and training loads. Its an issue that cant be fixed with an operation. Whilst its not painful enough to make you retire it will seriously affect his output as he gets older. If he indeed does have this problem it will most definitely stop him from being the very best and he wont be playing into his 30's.

I think Boyd is better for his age than Cooney and Chapman.

Waite and Higgins are not complete footballers in terms of roles either.

My character is based on value, timing and quality. Usually this means go to the draft. But given the change in opportunities I think we need to go FA and the draft now.

We can top up with further FA agents later and to replace Bartel and Boyd when they retire as they become available.

We can only do this while the likes of Rance are still at their prime ages unless we draft recruit more gun stars going forward. Remember when Dusty gets older and Rance hits his thirties with Cotch like Hodge and Hawthorn etc.. no one will want to come to us and they will be eyeing the Bulldogs or Melbourne etc..

Thats why we still need to go to the draft to attract replacements for the likes of our guns when they get older and we look to a Bontempelli or whoever the next star who wants a premiership will be.

I mainly discriminate on value. I don't like overpaying and getting duds which compromises our premiership prospects and Dunstall said we were short 3 A graders or so

3 is a bit much IMO not that i would say no but i think one would make all the difference.

Only? Its manageable at best. You can push through it game day but it affects your recovery and training loads. Its an issue that cant be fixed with an operation. Whilst its not painful enough to make you retire it will seriously affect his output as he gets older. If he indeed does have this problem it will most definitely stop him from being the very best and he wont be playing into his 30's.
I don't share your thoughts having also had personal experience with it which included many visits to RFC's very own Barry Richardson ( physio ) and playing well into my 30's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 is a bit much IMO not that i would say no but i think one would make all the difference.

I think people are underrating the significance of the quality of the long termers like Boyd, Bartel etc..

Remember it is now a 18 team comp and a draftee does not mean you make it as an AFL player , a 100 game AFL player does not mean that much either given the dilution of talent across more teams as well. Not to mention the concentration of talent at GWS and GC

In this regard guys like Bartel and Boyd, real possible cherry pick candidates, can be undersold at value timing wise IMO particularly when they can get replaced as they retire with the likes of Montagna and Barlow etc.. via FA if need be.

Once their bodies give up on them I agree they are no good to anyone but I think guys like Harvey played good footy 2 years ago and Fletcher was okay 3 or 4 years ago IMO. In fact the fact Harvey and Flecther are still going around could be a reflection of higher standards previously not currently being met due to the extra teams and concentration of talent in the likes of GWS and GC curtailing supply

If Richmond can demonstrate they can manage this type of scenario effectively, give guys like Boyd a premiership chance, that in reality they never have had, and actually win or go very close, some may assistant coach after others might follow in time like Mundy or whoever as appropriate. Obviously it will depend on how our drafted talent develops long term! We know Swans and Hawks, Freo and Geelong have got weaker from drafting from higher ladder positions as they finish in finals. RFC needs to try to circumnavigate that declining scenario whatever way possible.

Remember the age of list cycles has arrived and a lot of players will need to be moved on as teams like Geelong and others like Freo look to rebuild. If RFC are astute it is a terrific opportunity for more mature list teams getting to the window to accrue the required talent at an opportune time at value and also move on when expectations of pending retirement are high anyway. It is also a way to serve players interests seeking a real premiership opportunity before they finish up or close to it and they can still play a part. The fact cycle list management is in its infancy means hoards of talent have been built up it fairly select clubs like Hawthorn as they have matured which will need to be reaped for gain as such clubs are forced to rebuild. Further more because the likes of Hawthorn are ageing in select areas makes guys like Bartel and Boyd an appropriate matchup in a 2016 GF scenario

We can't be expecting to many high end talent to be successfully targeted from the like of GWS and other building clubs like the Bulldogs who will give the world to T Boyd as we have seen and move heaven and earth one would imagine to keep the likes of Stringer while Melbourne holds on for dear life to keep hogan as they get stronger and more successful from superior draft pick opportunities

For example Ziebel will probably not win a premiership at North, they will need to rebuild at some point so at some stage and chase draft picks, Ziebel could be pushed on Goddard style later, likewise Murphy for Carlton if not taken via FA or traded earlier. It is what clubs need to do as well as players to maximise their career opportunities as well as they premiership opportunities not to mention their success after footy as well. For example I would be surprised if J Selwood is not forced to move on towards the end of his career as well and it will just be a question of how he is travelling at that point and at what cost for interested investors

Last edited:
I think people are underrating the significance of the quality of the long termers like Boyd, Bartel etc..

Remember it is now a 18 team comp and a draftee does not mean you make it as an AFL player , a 100 game AFL player does not mean that much either given the dilution of talent across more teams as well. Not to mention the concentration of talent at GWS and GC

In this regard guys like Bartel and Boyd, real possible cherry pick candidates, can be undersold at value timing wise IMO particularly when they can get replaced as they retire with the likes of Montagna and Barlow etc.. via FA if need be.

Once their bodies give up on them I agree they are no good to anyone but I think guys like Harvey played good footy 2 years ago and Fletcher was okay 3 or 4 years ago IMO. In fact the fact Harvey and Flecther are still going around could be a reflection of higher standards previously not currently being met due to the extra teams and concentration of talent in the likes of GWS and GC curtailing supply

If Richmond can demonstrate they can manage this type of scenario effectively, give guys like Boyd a premiership chance, that in reality they never have had, and actually win or go very close, some may assistant coach after others might follow in time like Mundy or whoever as appropriate. Obviously it will depend on how our drafted talent develops long term! We know Swans and Hawks, Freo and Geelong have got weaker from drafting from higher ladder positions as they finish in finals. RFC needs to try to circumnavigate that declining scenario whatever way possible.

Remember the age of list cycles has arrived and a lot of players will need to be moved on as teams like Geelong and others like Freo look to rebuild. If RFC are astute it is a terrific opportunity for more mature list teams getting to the window to accrue the required talent at an opportune time at value and also move on when expectations of pending retirement are high anyway. It is also a way to serve players interests seeking a real premiership opportunity before they finish up or close to it and they can still play a part. The fact cycle list management is in its infancy means hoards of talent have been built up it fairly select clubs like Hawthorn as they have matured which will need to be reaped for gain as such clubs are forced to rebuild. Further more because the likes of Hawthorn are ageing in select areas makes guys like Bartel and Boyd an appropriate matchup in a 2016 GF scenario

We can't be expecting to many high end talent to be successfully targeted from the like of GWS and other building clubs like the Bulldogs who will give the world to T Boyd as we have seen and move heaven and earth one would imagine to keep the likes of Stringer while Melbourne holds on for dear life to keep hogan as they get stronger and more successful from superior draft pick opportunities

For example Ziebel will probably not win a premiership at North, they will need to rebuild at some point so at some stage and chase draft picks, Ziebel could be pushed on Goddard style later, likewise Murphy for Carlton if not taken via FA or traded earlier. It is what clubs need to do as well as players to maximise their career opportunities as well as they premiership opportunities not to mention their success after footy as well. For example I would be surprised if J Selwood is not forced to move on towards the end of his career as well and it will just be a question of how he is travelling at that point and at what cost for interested investors

to much to read, i don't agree with recruiting mature players unless they fill specific deficiencies otherwise just keep recruiting young talent and developing imo.

I would think the RFC offer to Dangerfield would be similar to what Richo believes B.Ellis is worth next contract.
Yes I believe B.Ellis is rated within RFC about the same as Dangerfield.

And I would agree with them to be honest. if you compare age with performance, B Ellis is actually performing on par if not slightly better then Danger at the same age :eek:

What is awesome for our list, we have 2 potentially 3 "Dangerfield" types ie damaging explosive mids in Ellis, damaging with his run and his goal sense and Martin. The other who i believe will rip future sides to shreds with elite disposal and being at the right place at the right time is C Ellis. In 3-4 years, we are going to have a crazy good engine room if we can keep them all together.

And I would agree with them to be honest. if you compare age with performance, B Ellis is actually performing on par if not slightly better then Danger at the same age :eek:

What is awesome for our list, we have 2 potentially 3 "Dangerfield" types ie damaging explosive mids in Ellis, damaging with his run and his goal sense and Martin. The other who i believe will rip future sides to shreds with elite disposal and being at the right place at the right time is C Ellis. In 3-4 years, we are going to have a crazy good engine room if we can keep them all together.

Is this a time to get ridiculous??:eek:

With all due respect to B Ellis who is a very much wanted good player for the Tigers, he currently plays as an outside player while Danger can play back/forward and in the guts as a clearance player with traits like reach and speed etc.. to his advantage.

So unless B Ellis improves further it would be difficult for him to achieve the same pay packet as Danger IMO each year at his peak apart from possible changes of time to salaries in general

Just floating it, not demanding it

I agree that ultra ultra caution would have to be exercised with any Essendon player. Whether they are allowed to play in 2016/17 is one thing, assessing whether they have been turned into a total head case by the experience is another.

He gets the ball a lot more than Grigg and has a kick that scythes more than Shaun. Similar gunrunning capacities

I just wouldn't rule it out, is all I'm saying.
all good, i respect anyone's idea's & was just curious as to your thinking on that one. would Stanton take games away from Menadue tho? while Menadue isn't quiet ready yet a big pre-season this time around & next year he could be ready to fire.
having stated caution needed with Essendon Players i'd take Carlisle in a heartbeat. while caution is much req'd i think some of thier players would thrive at a new Club without the burden of what's been going on at that Club of recent years.

Is this a time to get ridiculous??:eek:

With all due respect to B Ellis who is a very much wanted good player for the Tigers, he currently plays as an outside player while Danger can play back/forward and in the guts as a clearance player with traits like reach and speed etc.. to his advantage.

So unless B Ellis improves further it would be difficult for him to achieve the same pay packet as Danger IMO each year at his peak apart from possible changes of time to salaries in general

I believe you missed the age part of my post. it is silly to look at Danger in the now and forget how he was when he was the same age as B ellis. Yes they are different type of mids but Ellis is improving his contested work. What I was highlighting is the damaging aspect of the 3 players i mentioned, not necessarily there play style.

B Ellis is dangerous for other sides, IMO even more so then danger was in his early 20's.

Dusty is dangerous for other sides, IMO even more so then danger was in his early 20's.

C Ellis, has the potential to be a very, very dangerous player for us in the future.

Not many sides, outside of freo, hawks and swans have a quartet that can be as damaging together. We have 3 if you include cotchin and potentially 4 if Corey fulfills his potential.

We need to have a crack at Kruezer as a FA

He looked really good yesterday. Amazing really if you consider how much footy he missed. The big question, can his body hold up ? If he plays all games for the rest of the year, then i agree with you brother he is worth the punt. I seriously am starting to believe in Tyrone as a ruck. Can you imagine how offensively good and mobile a Ruck combo of tyrone and Kruezer could be ?

Imagine at 36 when we trade him out and then get him back cheap at 40 when we can contend.

I believe you missed the age part of my post. it is silly to look at Danger in the now and forget how he was when he was the same age as B ellis. Yes they are different type of mids but Ellis is improving his contested work. What I was highlighting is the damaging aspect of the 3 players i mentioned, not necessarily there play style.

B Ellis is dangerous for other sides, IMO even more so then danger was in his early 20's.

Dusty is dangerous for other sides, IMO even more so then danger was in his early 20's.

C Ellis, has the potential to be a very, very dangerous player for us in the future.

Not many sides, outside of freo, hawks and swans have a quartet that can be as damaging together. We have 3 if you include cotchin and potentially 4 if Corey fulfills his potential.

Don't forget Lennon ;)

In all seriousness his Stevie J like qualities are a skill set we could do with more of in our side right now. It's a big reason I want motlop too, while its different styles they both have that creativity and unpredictability we lack outside Jack, Edwards and Lids up forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back