The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
You and I read two very different articles... or maybe you just read what you wanted into and didn't actually look at the content.
Yep you've got me there CM it says next year as well as this year. It is missing a disclaimer for next year though . It was the timing of the release that was covered in poo. Very shitty thing to do to a playing group that was being very poorly coached at the time.

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
You and I read two very different articles... or maybe you just read what you wanted into and didn't actually look at the content.
Yep you've got me there CM it says next year as well as this year. It is missing a disclaimer for next year though . It was the timing of the release that was covered in poo. Very shitty thing to do to a playing group that was being very poorly coached at the time.

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Interesting to hear that block McLean and Mitch Robinson have been delisted. We should be interested in Robinson , he has ripped us apart on many occasions
He's not the full quid off the field but if anyone wants to see him in full flight watch last years final loss to Carlton especially the second half.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Interesting to hear that block McLean and Mitch Robinson have been delisted. We should be interested in Robinson , he has ripped us apart on many occasions
Nic Duigan tore us apart does it mean we chase him
I don't see the correlation. Just bc he tore a hole into us when cfc beat us for 13 games straight when we were absolute rubbish doesn't mean he will do it against other teams . If he's to be playing for us this is what we would want
You will find he has dropped right off in the last couple of years and I think you're argument is weak to why he should be wearing the Rfc jumper
Five average to good games a year isn't a season
No brains no X factor will take us nowhere faster as he will decelerate our development rate

Coxy_

Sexy Coxy
Aug 23, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coach
Rubbish. Most said Port had good kids just needed a good coach. They were a rabble more with the pres/coach and some of there board tbh

No, most didn't. Don't make s**t up mate. Many said they were on the brink of becoming the new Fitzroy. They lost to Hawthorn by 160 points that year FFS. Blokes weren't lining up for their coaching job...strange considering they had good kids and just needed a good coach. If people knew Port could become a top 4 side within 2 years then a swag of good coaches would have jumped at the chance to go there

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
It's funny how we can forget things as I forgot that Port had lost to GWS by 34 points
Amazing what you find on the net
The truth can easily be distorted with time especially if its not the club you support as we tend to forget
It's easy to say young players x y z and f were all going to be stars after the event. You still need the resources , competent staff and coach to do their bit and develop these guys to a high afl standard Also a CEO( no criticism of Ben bc I love the guy and he has done well)with the business sense to manage the club and put it up against its competitors
Below is one link which will direct you onto other articles relating to PA grave trepidations of 2012
Thanks for the reminder Coxy_

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-p...ss-to-gws-giants/story-e6frf3e3-1226443316115

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
No, most didn't. Don't make s**t up mate. Many said they were on the brink of becoming the new Fitzroy. They lost to Hawthorn by 160 points that year FFS. Blokes weren't lining up for their coaching job...strange considering they had good kids and just needed a good coach. If people knew Port could become a top 4 side within 2 years then a swag of good coaches would have jumped at the chance to go there

The reason "mate" a swag of coaches were not lining up because there off field and administration was a *en nightmare. Proof of the pudding is simply most of the 22 thats playing for them now were recruited and playing during the Primus years. I have no idea how you could speak for most anyway, maybe you are just taking what you have heard from media foamers but from where i sat, the one positive from port was there list and there age.

Tiger71

Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
It's funny how we can forget things as I forgot that Port had lost to GWS by 34 points
Amazing what you find on the net
The truth can easily be distorted with time especially if its not the club you support as we tend to forget
It's easy to say young players x y z and f were all going to be stars after the event. You still need the resources , competent staff and coach to do their bit and develop these guys to a high afl standard Also a CEO( no criticism of Ben bc I love the guy and he has done well)with the business sense to manage the club and put it up against its competitors
Below is one link which will direct you onto other articles relating to PA grave trepidations of 2012
Thanks for the reminder Coxy_

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-p...ss-to-gws-giants/story-e6frf3e3-1226443316115

You are right memory can be hazy particularity if you remember one thing. Thank you for reminding me TI and proving my point. In 2011 when we got smashed repeatedly by over 10 goals. I still shudder at the consecutive hawk pie back to back losses. Some wrote us off but others due to our list had faith we could turn the corner, and we did.

Again, cheers mate :thumbsu:

Coxy_

Sexy Coxy
Aug 23, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coach
The reason "mate" a swag of coaches were not lining up because there off field and administration was a ****en nightmare. Proof of the pudding is simply most of the 22 thats playing for them now were recruited and playing during the Primus years. I have no idea how you could speak for most anyway, maybe you are just taking what you have heard from media foamers but from where i sat, the one positive from port was there list and there age.

Yeah, I'm sure you were on here crowing about their list when they were getting pumped every week in 2011/12. And now coaches weren't willing to have a crack because Port were poor off field. Didn't stop Hardwick applying for the Richmond job 5 years ago. Making it up as you go along brother, I like it :thumbsu:

Maybe some of those players improved under Hinkley? Kane Cornes got dropped under Primus, look at him now. Carlile was fat and inconsistent, look at him now. Westhoff/Gray/Hartlett were inconsistent. Troy Chaplin played there. Coaches weren't lining up for the job because it wasn't considered a good gig. Yeah they had a young list with some decent potential but so does every club really. As I said, if anyone knew how good they could become in such a short time then plenty of blokes would be queuing up for it. Being poor off the field is not going to scare off a good coach. What are you arguing here? Are you seriously denying how great a job Hinkley has done for them?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
The reason "mate" a swag of coaches were not lining up because there off field and administration was a ****en nightmare. Proof of the pudding is simply most of the 22 thats playing for them now were recruited and playing during the Primus years. I have no idea how you could speak for most anyway, maybe you are just taking what you have heard from media foamers but from where i sat, the one positive from port was there list and there age.
I think you need to revisit the archives of PA 2012 as I did to refresh your brain cells on how much they reeked,
They were so desperate they picked up SKH who had failed a numerous coaching spots. They were in financial turmoil and correct their admin was poor, but they turned it all around in less than 12 months
All due to Koch ,Sir Ken and every other staff member in the club
Yet you read their website you'd think they're still a developmental team and reading the rfc you'd think they'd won the flag
It's bc SKH will not lie down until he's exhausted every option and his players have that in them now. Watch those last two finals were Hinkley mixed things up and those kids never once believed they were beaten. Haven't heard any of their guys say we are hurting da da da that we got two years running
Their leadership is immense for such a young side yet we still keep Lord Newman on our list( and rightly so based on our football educated gurus) bc we surprisingly have a lack of leaders
FFS mate you were right when you stated things on here go straight over my head. Why, bc it often lacks substance detail research and most often truth or relevance
I simplify most defensive statements on our comparison to PA as simple excuses
Still I enjoy reading it bc it's someone's opinion whether correct or not

Last edited:

Yeah, because players Carlton delists for bad behavior turn out great! Just ask Voss.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Hinkley is a better coach than Hardwick, but I also think Hinkley got kissed on the d*** with the list he took over.
Not so sure about that.Don't see Dimma playing a song/video to gee up the players before a match.You can only go to the well with that so many times before the well dries up.;)

Tiger71

Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, I'm sure you were on here crowing about their list when they were getting pumped every week in 2011/12. And now coaches weren't willing to have a crack because Port were poor off field. Didn't stop Hardwick applying for the Richmond job 5 years ago. Making it up as you go along brother, I like it :thumbsu:

Maybe some of those players improved under Hinkley? Kane Cornes got dropped under Primus, look at him now. Carlile was fat and inconsistent, look at him now. Westhoff/Gray/Hartlett were inconsistent. Troy Chaplin played there. Coaches weren't lining up for the job because it wasn't considered a good gig. Yeah they had a young list with some decent potential but so does every club really. As I said, if anyone knew how good they could become in such a short time then plenty of blokes would be queuing up for it. Being poor off the field is not going to scare off a good coach. What are you arguing here? Are you seriously denying how great a job Hinkley has done for them?

Would you have said that at the time he took over at Port? They were a rabble until he got on board.

Mate, you have me all confused and you say I am making things up as i go along :rolleyes:. Firstly the above quote was your first post in this thread. My reply to you was that my opinion, I am allowed to have one you know was that even though port were a rabble, it was more in regards to there off field then actual list. So why you are going on a tangent suggesting I dont believe Hinkley has done a good job is nuff nuff stuff. We were not even discussing it. Port did not have a lack of coaches that applied for there position, there main issue was that there off field was so disorganised ( remember off field) not untill Coshie took over he was able to steer there admin back on track and refocus the club.

He appointed Hinkley, btw Hinkley was not there only coach to apply to the role :p

With that appointment he then threw cash at there footy department to obtain the best in assistants as well as Burgess. The discussion prior had nothing to do about Hinkley after he got the job. Finally though you offered at least one direct question to me. Has Hinkley done a good job since coming to Port ? You bet he has! I would go further and give a lot of credit to there president being super aggressive and even though he is spending money his club does not have he realizes that on field success is the number one priority. Getting Burgess was inspired and now with Voss they are going full steam a head.

I also agree that Hinkley has done great in growing what he has. He has had great success with rookies and not only the young core that was on his list at that time. Hope that clears that up :rolleyes:

Back on point though. There are only ever 18 jobs for the main gig. If you think nobody wanted the port job or the tiger job when they came available, well, you have rocks in your head. You mention Hardwick getting our gig. After the Spud and Wallace years we could have got a experianced coach but at the time we made it super clear we wanted to get a elite up and coming coach who could grow with our young list..to suggest we had nobody apply or ask to be interviewed because we were getting pumped is silly.

Coxy_

Sexy Coxy
Aug 23, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coach
Mate, you have me all confused and you say I am making things up as i go along :rolleyes:. Firstly the above quote was your first post in this thread. My reply to you was that my opinion, I am allowed to have one you know was that even though port were a rabble, it was more in regards to there off field then actual list. So why you are going on a tangent suggesting I dont believe Hinkley has done a good job is nuff nuff stuff. We were not even discussing it. Port did not have a lack of coaches that applied for there position, there main issue was that there off field was so disorganised ( remember off field) not untill Coshie took over he was able to steer there admin back on track and refocus the club.

He appointed Hinkley, btw Hinkley was not there only coach to apply to the role :p

With that appointment he then threw cash at there footy department to obtain the best in assistants as well as Burgess. The discussion prior had nothing to do about Hinkley after he got the job. Finally though you offered at least one direct question to me. Has Hinkley done a good job since coming to Port ? You bet he has! I would go further and give a lot of credit to there president being super aggressive and even though he is spending money his club does not have he realizes that on field success is the number one priority. Getting Burgess was inspired and now with Voss they are going full steam a head.

I also agree that Hinkley has done great in growing what he has. He has had great success with rookies and not only the young core that was on his list at that time. Hope that clears that up :rolleyes:

Back on point though. There are only ever 18 jobs for the main gig. If you think nobody wanted the port job or the tiger job when they came available, well, you have rocks in your head. You mention Hardwick getting our gig. After the Spud and Wallace years we could have got a experianced coach but at the time we made it super clear we wanted to get a elite up and coming coach who could grow with our young list..to suggest we had nobody apply or ask to be interviewed because we were getting pumped is silly.

You've got a lack of knowledge about Port Adelaide, give it a rest. You ask me how I speak for "most" when you said "most said Port had a good list". Very few football supporters said that, the media didn't say that, supposed football experts weren't saying that and many (yes many) of their own supporters thought it would take a number of years to rebuild. If you don't believe me then you can go and view their forum and what was being said in those times. They were a rabble on field and off before Hinkley took over. They went from getting smashed most weeks, losing to GWS to getting within a few kicks of a Prelim in 2013. In 2014 they were one kick away from playing in the big one.

Who said Hinkley was the only applicant? When you make things up or try to twist words it makes you look bad. I repeat, if everyone knew how good Port could become in basically no time then a number of good coaches would have jumped at the chance to have a crack over there. Instead they had Terry Wallace offering his services and a stack of untried coaches (which Ken was at the time). Never said Hinks was the only applicant. You've got issues if you think Koch walked in and decided who was going to be coach. They did have a process and selection panel. Are you Port's financial adviser? How do you know they're spending money they don't have :D

There are only ever 18 jobs for the main gig. If you think nobody wanted the port job or the tiger job when they came available, well, you have rocks in your head.

Where the hell have you pulled this from? What's with this "rocks in your head" rubbish. It's obvious to anyone reading who really lacks a clue on this subject. Go back and read it again. First I said a lot of good coaches weren't lining up for Port's gig despite your claims that "most" said they had a quality young list. Then you said good coaches weren't lining up for it because they were a rabble off field. I rebuttled by mentioning we got Hardwick (who you highly rate) despite being a rabble off field at the time. Did not once ever say no one applied for either job. Again, don't make things up. Just makes you look like an ass :thumbsu: You're not one of those types who jumps on here and proclaims to have inside info are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back