Blocking Pirate Sites Given Greenlight

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh, there are so many ways around this it's ridiculous. The UK has had this type of ban for years and still ranks 3rd on the list of countries pirating Game of Thrones

Govt wants to block VPN hosts..... oh well I'll just run a site-site vpn to a cousin overseas then pull torrents from there :)

Govt wants to block VPN hosts..... oh well I'll just run a site-site vpn to a cousin overseas then pull torrents from there :)

Not sure the VPN part will get through.
The recommendations also address VPNs, noting that “the Bill does not explicitly
contemplate the introduction of injunctions against VPNs”, adding that “VPNs are unlikely to meet the ‘primary purpose test’ [designed for infringing uses].” The Committee noted, however, that it would be “reassured” if the government clarified the status of such tools.

Surely they can't blanket ban VPN traffic without affecting the legitimate ones, at worst they'd block the commonly used/advertised hosts. If it comes to that I'll shift to a windows-based VPS or switch to newsgroups, or on the odd chance that stream providers in this country get their s**t together and share content so we don't need 3-4 subscriptions I'll just switch to that.

Not sure the VPN part will get through.

Surely they can't blanket ban VPN traffic without affecting the legitimate ones, at worst they'd block the commonly used/advertised hosts. If it comes to that I'll shift to a windows-based VPS or switch to newsgroups, or on the odd chance that stream providers in this country get their s**t together and share content so we don't need 3-4 subscriptions I'll just switch to that.

Agree - They want to ban VPN’s but they know they can’t as there is Legal Reasons to use it and Lot of Business’s use them as well.

Hell the Government uses it too

Admittedly I'm not really sure how torrents work. Does this only block access to torrent hosts like Pirate Bay and Kickass or does it also stop you from downloading once you have the .torrent file on your computer?

Admittedly I'm not really sure how torrents work. Does this only block access to torrent hosts like Pirate Bay and Kickass or does it also stop you from downloading once you have the .torrent file on your computer?

Looks like they'll basically block access to the website/webhost, and it'll only happen when a copyright holder successfully takes a request to the courts for that specific site to be blocked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham Burke, the co-chief executive of Village Roadshow, has been a key player in fighting for rights holders against the issue of illegal file sharing.

Mr Burke has consistently employed fiery rhetoric when describing online pirates, comparing them to drink drivers and criminals.

In a speech to the Australian International Movie Convention on the Gold Coast in October he again tried to persuade people that illegal pirates were not just everyday people, calling them “leeches and thieves”.

“It’s been proven, they often have connections to organised, international crime syndicates. Pirates are only about the dollars,” he said.

“These are the same type of people that sell heroin."

Graham Burke, the co-chief executive of Village Roadshow, has been a key player in fighting for rights holders against the issue of illegal file sharing.

Mr Burke has consistently employed fiery rhetoric when describing online pirates, comparing them to drink drivers and criminals.

In a speech to the Australian International Movie Convention on the Gold Coast in October he again tried to persuade people that illegal pirates were not just everyday people, calling them “leeches and thieves”.

“It’s been proven, they often have connections to organised, international crime syndicates. Pirates are only about the dollars,” he said.

“These are the same type of people that sell heroin."

Burke is a Complete and Utter Flog.

I bet his Company does NOT pay Tax but he says Pirates are the Worse People in the Earth.

It is the Other Way around

Burke took a 1 million pay cut from his salary this year.

Still think he is a Asshold that has No Idea what he is Talking about.

Maybe he should be trying to make Better Movies that people would actually want to see

Under the ruling, copyright holders will have to pay $50 to internet companies for every domain blocked.

"We would've liked no cost, which is the case in the UK, however the judge has awarded $50 per website ... and we think that's fair and that's reasonable," Mr Burke said.

Some enterprising internet users have found ways to get around site-blocking laws by using a VPN, which hides the user's country of origin.

But Mr Burke was confident this approach would not be popular in Australia.

P.S: i already have PureVPN subscription :)

Under the ruling, copyright holders will have to pay $50 to internet companies for every domain blocked.

"We would've liked no cost, which is the case in the UK, however the judge has awarded $50 per website ... and we think that's fair and that's reasonable," Mr Burke said.

Some enterprising internet users have found ways to get around site-blocking laws by using a VPN, which hides the user's country of origin.

But Mr Burke was confident this approach would not be popular in Australia.

P.S: i already have PureVPN subscription :)

Mr.Burke is a Complete and Utter Dickhead that Simply has no Idea.

That make more people use VPN's:thumbsu:

Scary people making these Laws have no idea what so ever

If the Chinese can get around their firewall what the hell is this gonna do. What a waste of money and effort.

and Government blames Other People wasting money. When they are Experts at it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back