Blood test results after 2 years on High Fat Diet.

I also find them strange numbers for a high fat diet, if they were mine i would be revisiting my input into my mouth. Cholesterol numbers are useless but we all have basic similar readings when LCHF

My last test 5 weeks ago my Trig was 0.6 HDL 2.7 but LDL was 5.8 and my Doc wanted to put me on a Statin...lol.
your LDL does seem pretty high. what was your total chol number. Divide that by your LDL to get you chol/ldl ratio. You want it under 5

your trig are great. As far as i can tell high carb is what makes trig rise so you LCHF is at least giving you good results in regard to that.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
You are correct high carbs elevate trig and low carbs lower it, plus LDL is totally meaningless because saturated fat increases the ApoB lipoproteins which are the large fluffy good kind. My trig/HDL ratio is near perfect. Not sure if you got to watch this, Prof Ken Sikaris head of Melbourne Pathology (he is also LCHF) talking about cholesterol, fat and glucose. He pointed out LDL testing is 40 years out of date. Interesting he also said HDL and LDL levels drop when you eat, and you only fast because Trig levels rise when you eat and its the trig level that is the main basic indicator.

And not forgetting the ultimate run down on Cholesterol by Peter Attia http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

That was a really interesting lecture, thanks for posting, brother.

I was aware that large LDL was the desirable state but I didnt realised how you actually achieved it. It seems that lowering trig changes the make up of your ldl to the large fluffy type and also raises HDL. Both desirable.

Last time I got a blood test was 2 years ago, just before started tending toward LCHF and my TRig was 0.7. Planning on getting retested soon, Hopefully I'm even lower. :)

Last edited:

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
In a nutshell, yep. High Trig and low HDL are two of five markers of Metabolic Syndrome. I always fount it strange why LDL wasnt included when it is the so called bad cholesterol

It's the VLDL contained in LDL that is the important ratio to know but Docs don't often provide VLDL results in your blood test.
Most GP's are despicable

Doesn't really sell the diet to me as an athlete, I mean a huge drop off in both test levels and haematocrit?? I'm sure you'll be able to explain it though!

That is what Tour cyclists elevate when they blood dope, right?

I understand that 45% is average for men, so if someone is a few % above that, it means their body is more efficient, athletically speaking?

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
It's the VLDL contained in LDL that is the important ratio to know but Docs don't often provide VLDL results in your blood test.
Most GP's are despicable

So high VLDL in your LDL is what is bad, rather than high LDL itself?

I probably sound borderline *ed with my questions but I'm not great at correctly interpreting or remembering information like this :p

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Most GP's are despicable
VLDL isnt contained in the LDL they are separate lipoproteins, LDL was a VLDL when it was released from the liver then enzymes in the bloodstream interact with the trigs in the lipoprotein and change it from very low density to low density.

From Peter Attia- http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-ii

"Everything I just described above deals with the structure and surface of the lipoprotein molecule – sort of the like the hull of the ship. But, what about the cargo? Remember what started this discussion. It’s all about transporting cholesterol (and lipids) which can’t freely travel in the bloodstream. The “cargo” of these ships, what they actually carry both on their surface [molecules of cholesterol and phospholipids] and in their core [cholesteryl esters (CE) and triglycerides (TG, or triacylglycerols)] is what we’ll now turn our attention to.

The ratio of lipid-to-protein in the lipoprotein structure determines its density – which is defined as mass per unit volume. Something that has a high density is heavier for a given volume than something with a low density. The table in this link (which I’ve also included below) shows the relative density of the five main classes of lipoproteins (from most dense to least dense) as they were originally discovered using ultracentrifugation: high density lipoprotein (HDL), low density lipoprotein (LDL), intermediate density lipoprotein (IDL), very low density lipoprotein (VLDL), and chylomicron.

Note the very subtle difference in density between the most and least dense lipoprotein – about 10 or 15%. Conversely, note the very large difference in diameter between each lipoprotein – as much as 2 orders of magnitude. Later in this series, when we start to talk about the volume of a lipoprotein particle, this difference will be amplified 1,000 times (because volume is calculated to the third power of diameter).

Density-table.jpg

Last edited:

RU486

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2008
West
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
That is what Tour cyclists elevate when they blood dope, right?

I understand that 45% is average for men, so if someone is a few % above that, it means their body is more efficient, athletically speaking?

That's correct, the higher your Red Blood cell count (HCT) the more efficient your body is at delivering oxygen around your body. There are a number of natural and artificial means of raising your HCT. The most common and used by all athletes is B12 injections, this is not prohibited by WADA and is an OTC drug in Australia, I have personally used it and raised my HCT to 47 with high hemoglobin levels (B12 is also believed to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's). Altitude training and tents will also increase HCT, see the Collingwood Arizona training camps.

EPO is the most efficient means of raising your HCT, thus it's widespread usage in cycling and other sports. Testosterone will also increase HCT even at a TRT dosage. Then you have the more advanced blood doping, in which you withdraw your blood and use a centrifuge to seperate the red bloods cells then withdraw them for re-injection in the morning/night before a race.

It's also important to supplement with Iron if you wish to boost your blood levels. Daily iron supplementation and weekly B12 injections (Hydroxocobalamin is best) for 6 weeks will see an improvement in your blood levels for performance purposes.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
That's correct, the higher your Red Blood cell count (HCT) the more efficient your body is at delivering oxygen around your body. There are a number of natural and artificial means of raising your HCT. The most common and used by all athletes is B12 injections, this is not prohibited by WADA and is an OTC drug in Australia, I have personally used it and raised my HCT to 47 with high hemoglobin levels (B12 is also believed to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's). Altitude training and tents will also increase HCT, see the Collingwood Arizona training camps.

EPO is the most efficient means of raising your HCT, thus it's widespread usage in cycling and other sports. Testosterone will also increase HCT even at a TRT dosage. Then you have the more advanced blood doping, in which you withdraw your blood and use a centrifuge to seperate the red bloods cells then withdraw them for re-injection in the morning/night before a race.

It's also important to supplement with Iron if you wish to boost your blood levels. Daily iron supplementation and weekly B12 injections (Hydroxocobalamin is best) for 6 weeks will see an improvement in your blood levels for performance purposes.

Interesting that Mark Sisson reckons the best way to elevate HCT is to train at sea level and sleep at 14,000 feet then your body makes red blood cells at an impressive rate and amount.

RU486

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2008
West
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Mine is at 47 naturally, but apart from lifting i;m not particularly athletic. i wonder if its because I drink a lot vegetable juices.(high iron)

Iron on it's own is ineffective at raising HCT, I confirmed this as I had a high HCT with a low iron count and an extremely low ferritin count but it does have synergistic properties with B12 and EPO. Ferritin count is more important than your iron levels as the latter will decrease after strenuous training and when ill, whilst the ferritin count refers to how much iron your body has stored.

ben_1301

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2005
Berwick
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Berwick
Mine is at 47 naturally, but apart from lifting i;m not particularly athletic. i wonder if its because I drink a lot vegetable juices.(high iron)
Endurance trained athletes actually tend to have a slightly lower HCT as one of the main adaptations is a greater blood plasma volume thus diluting the blood a bit, but 47 is a very nice place to start! doesn't leave you much room for blood doping though!!

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
This is Mark Sissons article on "should we allow doping in sport" its a great read.

He knows what he is talking about. (I loved his carb loading article for LCHF Tough Mudders)

"First, I should tell you that I was the Anti-doping Commissioner of the International Triathlon Union (ITU) – a relatively new sport within the Olympic Family – for nearly 13 years. I had to act as “prosecutor” on many doping cases (doping = drugs in sport). Prior to that, I helped write the first set of “anti-doping” rules for triathlon in 1988. Before that, I was an elite marathoner (2:18) and triathlete (4th Place Ironman Hawaii) in the ‘70s and ‘80s, so I have accumulated a fair amount of “inside information” regarding drugs in sport at the Olympic level. I also own a supplement company and have done extensive research on performance enhancement in pursuit of natural, legal alternatives."

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/should-we-allow-drugs-in-sports/#ixzz3BY92mtwW

Back