Bloody umpires

Spitta09

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
About time we had a good run against this mob. They have had the better of the umpiring in our last 4-5 games. Was a non factor anyway the better team on the day won

As far as I'm concerned the umpiring was very very ordinary today. Not as bad as the Cats fans at the game saw it but nevertheless it was still very poor and generally speaking the standard of umpiring is an indictment on the game.

They need to tidy up their work and not have us last week, and no doubt cats fans this week, heaping the blame on poor umpiring as the reason for a win or a loss. I think we deserved to win today, I think we were the better team but I would rather if we had have won it without the inference that umpiring handed the game to us.

One decision I didnt like. From a boundary throw in Blicavs (I think) came in third up and tried to leap over Goldy and the primary geelong competing ruckman. Goldy got Blicavs high but had no reason to even think he was there. I'm not arguing the free, just making a moral point that if the only way you can win the ruck is by running with a double team at every contest, the extra man should be given far less leniency in terms of infringements for/against.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Geelong fans complaining about umpiring.
LOLZ

It's like their fans getting on talkback after the game bemoaning "what's going on down there." FFS you've hardly watched your side lose for eight years!Melbourne fans must listen to that crap and shake their heads! It's over. It's been great. But it's over. Enjoy the memories because they are beyond your wildest dreams. But it's over.

Anzac weekend 2007 - North beat Geelong at Kardinia. The fallout is seen as "the making of an era." Next week they pants Richmond by 157.
Anzac weekend 2015 - North beat Geelong at Kardinia. The fallout might be "the end of an era." Next week they play Richmond....

abby

All Australian
Jul 8, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's like their fans getting on talkback after the game bemoaning "what's going on down there." FFS you've hardly watched your side lose for eight years!Melbourne fans must listen to that crap and shake their heads! It's over. It's been great. But it's over. Enjoy the memories because they are beyond your wildest dreams. But it's over.

Anzac weekend 2007 - North beat Geelong at Kardinia. The fallout is seen as "the making of an era." Next week they pants Richmond by 157.
Anzac weekend 2015 - North beat Geelong at Kardinia. The fallout might be "the end of an era." Next week they play Richmond....

Oh boy next weekend could be good!

My greatest joy today was the sweet sound of the G-Town fans' boos directed at LT for his skill at gaining some high contact frees, considering they've watched the master at work weekly in their jumper for years. Some of the fans even looked up from their knitting to boo, they were that angry.

May 16, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
giphy.gif

Dec 7, 2011
Wentz Wagon
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One decision I didnt like. From a boundary throw in Blicavs (I think) came in third up and tried to leap over Goldy and the primary geelong competing ruckman. Goldy got Blicavs high but had no reason to even think he was there. I'm not arguing the free, just making a moral point that if the only way you can win the ruck is by running with a double team at every contest, the extra man should be given far less leniency in terms of infringements for/against.

There was a free paid against us for blocking the run of the third man up. I could be wrong, but you're allowed to block the third man aren't you? But yeah, thought overall it was a combination of us getting the rub of the green, and Geelong being sloppy.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Free kick counts are quite simply the worst stat in footy, unless of course you are criticising the team that gave away the most free kicks. Last week we had specific examples of crazy decisions... The Schulz holds, the Monfries flop. But the free kick count was irrelevant. I've heard cats fans crying about the count but show me specific examples of howlers. We won the game (and the free kick count) because we were harder, to the ball first, disciplined, and better.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
My greatest joy today was the sweet sound of the G-Town fans' boos directed at LT for his skill at gaining some high contact frees, considering they've watched the master at work weekly in their jumper for years. Some of the fans even looked up from their knitting to boo, they were that angry.

I usually ignore opposition fans at the footy but I bit today at some nuff-nuff having a go at Lindsay for ducking for frees. "Give it a rest mate, haven;t you ever watched your captain play?" He never said a word after that.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
we got a fantastic run but the ill discipline from Clark and Hawkins was a major factor behind the free kick count. Clark lost his cool on a few occasions
Yep. And both thought they should be allowed to contest a mark by forcefully shoving an opponent with both hands in the back. They both got away with a few, but were shocked when they did get penalised.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Free kick counts are quite simply the worst stat in footy, unless of course you are criticising the team that gave away the most free kicks. Last week we had specific examples of crazy decisions... The Schulz holds, the Monfries flop. But the free kick count was irrelevant. I've heard cats fans crying about the count but show me specific examples of howlers. We won the game (and the free kick count) because we were harder, to the ball first, disciplined, and better.
I don't recall any frees we got that were wrong. (I had to laugh at Basil querying a free against Motlop because the tackle dislodged the ball ; Mathews had to explain that, having beaten one tackle already, that counts as prior opportunity). I did think we were lucky at a few obvious frees that were let go.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR

I actually thought Goldy was held prior to that incident.

Deadeyeroo

Cancelled
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is it me or does every defender these days wrap their arms around a forward when the ball is coming in? AFL should start paying free kicks for this crap, it shouldn't be allowed and needs to be stamped out quick smart.

Don't knock the knitting T'toes. Back in the late 1980's in a game between the Roys and the Saints, on one of her very rare forays to the football, Mrs. H knitted away happily while Plugger nailed 9 goals at one end and Richard Osborne kicked 8 at the other end. An absolutely ripping game, that Mrs. H hardly saw anything of. Meanwhile I sat nearby (next to her) looking red-faced and sheepish. She hasn't been (welcome) back too many times since. :$

LT Smash

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2011
Ogdenville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I watched the game on replay, keeping an eye on free kicks as I knew that was a subject for discussion based on the stats. I'd say Geelong were slightly stiff not to get 3 or 4 free kicks throughout. And on the other hand, there were 3 or 4 free kicks that we got that were technically there, but on a bad day, they don't pay. Having said that, they also missed at least a couple for us. A blatant throw by Harry Taylor for instance.

May 1, 2005
Rural and Regional Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangas, Roos, Shinboners
Their tackling was extremely sloppy.

Is it a technique issue?

Is the group coachable to tackle the hips and not the shoulders?

Will they work on it this week to prepare for the next encounter?

Sorry :oops:
Wrong Scott.

In all seriouslyness I thought there wasn't too much we missed out on. But it made it more enjoyable to be arguably assisted by the men in green at Spud Park.

Back