Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where the "players have demanded that the game these days is their job, it's just business" comes from. Football has changed a lot, the AFL is a multi-billion dollar business with television expecting the clubs to put on a show. For footballers to succeed football has to be their job. If you don't have the commitment, a club won't pick you or won't offer you a new contract.

It's not like the 80s anymore when training was mid-late afternoon and you'd rock along after work.

And yes, players will leave clubs. But when a club no longer has any use for a player, any player, they'll delist him.

So you weren't sure about the post but pretty much agreed with it .
Glad we got there in the end ... :thumbsu:

We won 7.5 games in 2014 with an average list.

At the moment our list comprises mainly of unproven kids, and several unknown quantities (from GWS)

Lack of goal scoring power is clearly a concern, the 2014 list, rubbish at it was, still had proven goal kickers on it.

Anyhow I'm happy for us to collect another high draft pick(s) as long as we get plenty of games into the kids. The Doggies are proof that you can bottom out for a few years and build a list capable of challenging for a flag, as long as you nail your early draft picks.

Not advocating tanking but winning 2-3 dead rubber games at the end of the season is not ideal, if it costs us a decent position in the draft.

We do need more short term pain for the long term gain, don't care what anyone says, very rarely do you find elite/AA Calibre players in the third round and later in the draft anymore. The talent pool has decreased dramatically, especially with the introduction of the expansion clubs and Northern State academies.

This club does NOT have enough elite young talent in the list at this point in time, the boys we got in last year's draft will be stars, but we need at least another 2, maybe 3 drafts like that if we are going to build a list capable of winning a flag.

Clarko's first couple of years at Hawthorn weren't all peaches and cream, i might add.

At the moment our list comprises mainly of unproven kids, and several unknown quantities (from GWS)

Lack of goal scoring power is clearly a concern, the 2014 list, rubbish at it was, still had proven goal kickers on it.

Anyhow I'm happy for us to collect another high draft pick(s) as long as we get plenty of games into the kids. The Doggies are proof that you can bottom out for a few years and build a list capable of challenging for a flag, as long as you nail your early draft picks.

Not advocating tanking but winning 2-3 dead rubber games at the end of the season is not ideal, if it costs us a decent position in the draft.

We do need more short term pain for the long term gain, don't care what anyone says, very rarely do you find elite/AA Calibre players in the third round and later in the draft anymore. The talent pool has decreased dramatically, especially with the introduction of the expansion clubs and Northern State academies.

This club does NOT have enough elite young talent in the list at this point in time, the boys we got in last year's draft will be stars, but we need at least another 2, maybe 3 drafts like that if we are going to build a list capable of winning a flag.

Clarko's first couple of years at Hawthorn weren't all peaches and cream, i might add.

Didn't read your post yet.... digging the Rachel Khoo avatar.

I agree but with one caveat - we don't need to keep finishing last, or even second last. We definitely need 2 more years at the pointy end of the draft but I'm content as long as that's a tpick in the top 3-4

That's a fair call, the positions between 6 -12 have become something of a Bermuda Triangle, especially with draft picks,if you constantly kept finishing in that region, like we did with Ratten, and the added kicker of having those drafts several diluted with the expansion clubs.

Its no coincidence that the clubs that bottomed out in that time period and still got good draft picks (Port, Doggies) are flying now. This is why I passionately believe in having a couple more years at the top end of the draft, stockpile enough elite young talent to push us past the Bermuda Triangle, and into top 4/premiership contending territory in five or so years time.

The problem with "being at the pointy end of the draft" is that these days you just get one pick no matter how crap you are. And one player a year isn't going to throw you into the top 8 any time soon. It's multiple early picks that are nailed that take a club places.

We did well in the last draft. How do we get more early picks in the next draft? That's the problem we're facing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with most of this. Certainly your view of MK seems to have more than a kernel of truth to it.

But Roughead is not a "gorilla". Solid and capable of inflicting big hits, yes but a marking tall forward type is a stretch - Cripps is taller- Roughy's great strength is his movement and positional flexibility combined with high skill levels, footy know-how, and a solid frame.

Oh, and the relative cohesion and skill level of the side around him combined with being used to advantage doesn't hurt either.

The point is that Roughy is an almost unique type of player and we frankly have one in MK who also has rare almost unique characteristics.

Please... not physical... Mk won't snipe you behind play like certain lauded elbow jockey good blokes. but if it's a legitimate contested situation - you know all about it.

I recall Roughie setting the tone in a recent GF.

Absolutely nailed Hanneberry while he had his arms in the air receiving a hospital hand pass?

Hanneberry was very sore and quiet for the rest of the game.

IIRC - Completely legit and not even a free kick.

Kreuzer is a good honest player, he's not really good at anything in particular but he's not bad at anything either. Marking is ok, up and around the ground, against other ruckmen, he's ok. In the forward line he's not so good. One on one, his feet positioning and propping aren't great and he's easy to push under the ball and like many of the talls we've drafted over the years, he's susceptible to being spoiled easily by a body spoil. I'm also not convinced that he reads the ball well in the air as he doesn't protect the drop zone well and runs under it at times. His tap work is good when he gets his hands on the footy but against some of the ruckmen out there he battles with this a bit. Where he does offer that bit extra is at contests where he often lays a tackle, wins a ground ball or applies pressure which is something many ruckmen don't do well. If Kreuzer was to ever improve his marking and impact that little more as a forward he'd be a champion and this will be the key for him this year. Really hope to see him up his numbers around the ground and with Phillips in the side, they should be able to combine and work over the opposition far better as both are mobile, skilled footballers.

Honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if Phillips makes some big claims for the number one ruck mantle, I think he has a lot to offer. I think the position in the forward line for a tall forward part time ruckman will be really highly contested. This is one of the areas we need to really nail down, we'd always close with this without ever being really satisfied.

All valid points, yet winning over six games for the year is not beyond the realms of possibility. If we can emulate the Doggies 2015 resurrection, and Port's in 2013, then wins against Brisbane x2, St Kilda x2, Essendon x2 and GCS won't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back