Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He gets injured more often than what both Jarrad Waite & Matty Kreuzer do.

Agreed. Will be surprised if Vardy is still on Geelomgs list by years end. He just had knee surgery.

Is a shame as he had the makings of an extremely good footballer

We had a chance to get a big name to Carlton, but we could not get Giansiracussa over the line.
Thank god for Dillon Viojo-Rainbow then.

Free Agency has totally changed the player movement equation these days. Players still under contract for another season (Dayne Beams and Thomas Boyd) managed to blackmail (perhaps an excessive term) their teams to trade them to new clubs (and really, since when were The Bad News Bears and Footscray known as destination clubs ?)

I think its a bit naive to assume that we will automatically have first 'dibs' on any potential superstar who wants to change clubs. Salary Cap issues aside, Carlton just doesn't have the same allure it once had. But also Richmond and Collingwood have similar issues trying to lure big name players to their clubs in recent years as well.

Hawthorn for whatever reason, seem to attract quality people (not just players, but coaches like Bolton and Ratts) to their club, like Moths to a flame.

We need to look forwards and become more innovative as a club in order to attract players. Living off past glories has certainly hindered English Football club Liverpool in the past 25 years (last time they were champions of England)

The noise coming out of the club is a very good one at the moment and we are much more advanced as a destiny club than some think.
Not sure why Thomas isn't mentioned as a big name recruit. Is it for the Malthouse factor, maybe?

We have really upped the status and appeal of the club to the outside footballing community but keeping and then adding value to that, will be the trick.
Malthouse, McKay and Rogers have done a lot of work that is largely unseen, in order for us to become an appealing destiny.

Not sure why some would think that the likes of Dangerfield would have no reason to talk to us. That's just not correct.

Big name .... G I A N C I R A C U S A

I worry about you Lance.

8ZUnt9Q.gif

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The noise coming out of the club is a very good one at the moment and we are much more advanced as a destiny club than some think.
Not sure why Thomas isn't mentioned as a big name recruit. Is it for the Malthouse factor, maybe?

We have really upped the status and appeal of the club to the outside footballing community but keeping and then adding value to that, will be the trick.
Malthouse, McKay and Rogers have done a lot of work that is largely unseen, in order for us to become an appealing destiny.

Not sure why some would think that the likes of Dangerfield would have no reason to talk to us. That's just not correct.

Not saying that Harks, but I am pointing out that its much harder for us as a football club to lure big name stars then what it was in the 80s/90s etc

The footy landscape has really changed, as few as 10 years ago, the likes of Tom Boyd joining a small club like the Dogs would have been unheard of.

Players aren't lured so much by financial gain or a club's successful history, or even immediate on-field success necessarily.

Anyhow I haven't heard anything from the club about us chasing Dangerfield, from what I have ascertained from Trigg's and McKay's comments in recent months, it doesn't sound like a path we will be going down. Although the club did indicate it made a massive offer to Tom Mitchell, so who knows for sure ??

Hawthorn have set up a great template and good on them for doing so.

All of a sudden though Geelong and Collingwood aren't quite as appealing as they once we're.
There are many factors for that being the case and it came as no surprise for Collingwood having been desperate to secure Balme.

Managers will steer their players towards money of course but a secure and promising workplace is also high on the agenda.

The guys at Carlton are going in the right direction now and I hope we don't pull any stunts to take away the good platform we've laid down.

People get waaaaaaaay too sucked in to the reigning premiers being such a peachy place where everything is perfect. Such an overly simplistic way of looking at things.

People get waaaaaaaay too sucked in to the reigning premiers being such a peachy place where everything is perfect. Such an overly simplistic way of looking at things.

They are right now. You don't thinks so?

Frawley could have gone to Geelong or Fremantle for more money but chose Hawthorn.
He's far from the only one who have selected the Hawks over others.

Hawthorn have set up a terrific base for success. That's undeniable.

Just found out Richard Douglas is out of contract at the end of 2015, now assuming that the Crows re-sign Danger and Sloane (big If) then Douglas may possibly be squeezed out due to SC reasons or wants a bigger pay day elsewhere.

Think he would certainly add some class and grunt to our midfield, that seems to be at the start of a regeneration cycle.

Douglas is a quality player, probably a bit forgotten due to his more high profile teammates, but I think we should have a big crack at him.

I watched Douglas closely last year due to my fantasy team. Most of his possessions are cheap 1-2s, and he drifts out of games far too often. Also plays much better against inferior opposition. Not really a fan personally, but can see the allure.

O
He'd be on 500k I would have thought.
Seems a little steep for the nab cup, what does he get for the season proper?

He'd be on 500k I would have thought.

Then it will give us a bit of coin to play around with in the cap if he most likely retires at the end of this season.

Do we want to splash out on a champion midfielder in their prime if we feel the rest of the team is not capable of carrying us to the top 4 the next season or the one after that?

Short answer - No.

Pretty much my sentiments on the matter. I'm all for spending the big bucks and maybe a first round pick for a champion but there's no real point if the rest of the team can't elevate us into the top 4. We should ensure we get the best quality mids in the draft until we're ready to make the commitment on a Dangerfield/Sloane etc

Pretty much my sentiments on the matter. I'm all for spending the big bucks and maybe a first round pick for a champion but there's no real point if the rest of the team can't elevate us into the top 4. We should ensure we get the best quality mids in the draft until we're ready to make the commitment on a Dangerfield/Sloane etc
But if we were able to land a top tier young mid who would mature with the rest of our young list? I would be happy for the club to go hard in that scenario.

*cough* Treloar *cough*

But if we were able to land a top tier young mid who would mature with the rest of our young list? I would be happy for the club to go hard in that scenario.

*cough* Treloar *cough*
That is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back