Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they get a pass for hiring all these guys in the first place just because they sacked them after the damage was already done?

Which board members hired them?

I'll going to say Pratt was responsible for hiring Swann. Kernahan for hiring Malthouse. God knows for Rogers and Hughes but at least as far back as Kernahan. Besides the board hires CEOs, the CEOs hire the other staff.

The logic seems to be that we get a previously competent CEO and they don't have success at us so in hindsight the board is responsible for their failure. Did they hire people with a decent resume capable of doing the job? Yes.

If we hire Dew, Lloyd or Bolton and we are happy with the decision and process but they fail to do the job, do we then turn around and blame the board for hiring them?

If you don't do your job, do you say to your boss, 'it's your fault for hiring me'?

Menzel As Anything

Senior List
Jan 23, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

I'll going to say Pratt was responsible for hiring Swann. Kernahan for hiring Malthouse. God knows for Rogers and Hughes but at least as far back as Kernahan. Besides the board hires CEOs, the CEOs hire the other staff.

The logic seems to be that we get a previously competent CEO and they don't have success at us so in hindsight the board is responsible for their failure. Did they hire people with a decent resume capable of doing the job? Yes.

If we hire Dew, Lloyd or Bolton and we are happy with the decision and process but they fail to do the job, do we then turn around and blame the board for hiring them?

If you don't do your job, do you say to your boss, 'it's your fault for hiring me'?

Nope Sticks fought to keep Ratten but couldn't get the numbers across the line.

Nope Sticks fought to keep Ratten but couldn't get the numbers across the line.

Once Ratten was gone, we needed a coach. Kernahan hired Malthouse. The point is that the current board is not necessarily responsible for the failures of experienced people they put in place to do a specific job. They are responsible for rectifying the situation if someone is not doing their job however.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I don't disagree with that, but someone is always in charge, members don't make decisions and run football clubs.

At the moment we have a side that no one wants to watch which is our biggest problem. Our older members have been spoilt and can't bare watching us. Reminding us of 1995 sure does us no favors at the moment. Our younger members aren't that into us because all they've known is us being rubbish and it hasn't been pleasant. At the moment no one is going to our games or signing up as members. Its going to hurt and when our sponsors start feeling the decline in exposure it's going to hurt more. This is where this quick fix from the board stems IMO. I haven't had an opportunity to have a good look at our books but I think we may find it difficult without AFL assistance to start from scratch.

Carlton need to start selling hope but not at the expense our development. Judd sold hope but I feel that affected us long term. Cripps and young talent like that will sell hope and that will sell memberships. We're struggling to sell hope which I think the Essendon's of the world do well, even if it is false. Having a group of talented young players who can win a few games and play well will be what regenerates Carlton as a successful side on and off the field. Something to get excited about and to quell the negative press that's hammering us.
Lets hope they can pull their heads out of their backsides and start drafting smartly. Too many highly speculative picks that just were never developed properly.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Hang on, you're saying Mick is blameless?

He got rid of good players, and under his watch the performances continued to decline - this despite him saying the list could win a flag if all things went right. I'm sorry but if that's not the ultimate fail as a coach then I don't know what is.

You say he knew we needed to bottom out. Again I remind you he is on record saying how good the list is.

And, if he was bottoming out then why was he so conservative with the use of young players? It's only now Barker has taken over we are blooding kids in earnest. I'd hazard a guess Mick's refusal to blood kids and instead try and save his reputation by playing seasoned players was one of the reasons the club gave him the arse.

Mick ran this club and list into the ground. He got rid of good players, brought in Thomas whose been a disaster, implemented an antiquated game plan, and basically ruined us further.

Sorry but I think you are confused, VERY confused.
Lets face it the players that have gone under MM are not significant in the broad scheme of things.

Betts. Was getting on. Apparently further on than we thought. More cream than meat and potatoes.
Waite. Old, inconsistent, injury prone, petulant attitude. Not one to shed a tear over.
Laidler. Not a core player. Handy at best
Garlet. Just needed a fresh start. Mentally fragile.
Robinson. Bash and crash but not in a smart way.

Thomas. Lets give him a chance shall we.. 2014 was.ways going to be a recovery year yet his stats werent too bad. 8 give him a pass for 2014.
2015. How can anyone make any judgement? First game and he has a season ending injury.
The naysayers were saying that he would not even play again.

Or the old Burke & Wills city square fountain - they died of thirst in the outback.

Ah, the old Burke and wills expedition.

Reminds me of the ill-fated Carlton board meet up, had it have gone ahead.

One party at a pub near etihad, one at a pub near the G. Each party goes looking for the other, leaving messages on trees, burying bags of beer nuts for the return journey. TheSheik providing the camels.

Everybody just dying for a drink...

navybluesince75

Team Captain
Nov 29, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton

ODN Been in agreement with your rationale on this topic, this last line though has a spin off effect, hiring people in high end positions responsible for other staff who ultimately fail can and usually in my experience does negatively impact the productivity and the motivation of the employee's under their control. I agree that as long as the board has followed best practice for initial hiring of staff that there is an element of risk to any appointment but stability and consistency of message are important to employee's and supporters alike.

Sorry that got long winded, I am trying to say in a really bad way that I want our board to hire the best possible candidates and then provide them with the best possible work environment and support networks to enable them to succeed and I hope with recent appointments and internal restructuring that this may be starting to occur.

for mine this is one of the important functions of the board that needs to improve to help the club stabilize and move forward.

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
escalate.jpeg

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I think we all know what's going on a board level.

The Pratt faction had their go and came up short (very short). Mathieson's faction said times up and took over the reins.

This has been seen by many posters as wealthy power brokers using Carlton as their play thing. Consequently notable posters on BF have been agitating for a board clean out. In reality we know this is not going to happen and Carlton's future is in the hands of the new leadership aligned with Mathieson.

I believe the new leadership deserves its chance to right the ship and be judged on their own performance, not tarred with the fallout from past failures. Most of Carlton's faithful believe the Blues have a 3 year rebuild in front of them so making a call 6 months into the new plan seems like the Carlton of old, i.e. too impatient to see a plan through to fruition.

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Apparently the list of coaching candidates has been narrowed down to Simon Lloyd, Brendan Bolton, Stuart Dew and John Barker, and the coach will be announced by the end of August! #bluemour
I am pretty sure I heard on the radio news this morning that Trigg said the race was still wide open, wasn't just 4. But I can't find a source.

I am pretty sure I heard on the radio news this morning that Trigg said the race was still wide open, wasn't just 4. But I can't find a source.

Not making any specific judgement on whether we are down to 4 or not, but.... I get the feeling that IF we were down to four, Trigg would have no problem saying the race is still wide open.

He is a very smooth operator, Triggy. I know that if you have a company line, you need to stick to it. And sometimes it's important to keep cards close to your chest. But sometimes sticking to the official line can be spitting in the other person's face.

Like How Andy D would say 'there is no tanking' or whatever. We all knew it was happening, he probably wasn't in a position to comment otherwise, but just wouldn't budge and just waited for the problem to go away. Not even a minor concession.

Not sure if that's fair reflection on Trigg, but something just feels off a little some of the times he makes declarations. I'm never sure I can trust him....

Stop mentioning race ffs..........

Bathurst - The Great Race is now to be known as an enlightened drive through heritage lands.
The Melbourne Cup - The race that stops a nation will now be known as spirit animals guiding progressive thinking through perseverance running around a metaphorical circle of life.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
It's all about the synergy and being on the same page - pretty obvious really :)
Don't forget the vibe and Mabo. Or should that be Mabooo? Or is that racist?
I'll just wait for someone to tell me that it's racist, then I'll go along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back