Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask the 20 or so players who've got the chop over the last 2 years....

Those players were never going to make it. I don't think you will find too many of them doing much elsewhere. This is just poor drafting and the general flow of players who don't make it every club gets.

Kane Lucas, from go to whoa in his time at the club was a prime example of bad player development, mind you, from all reports he may have been bit of a slacker with a poor attitude (just based on some posts I have read here) so don't think its all the club's fault.

The club now (finally) actually takes into account player's attitudes and work ethic when they do player interviews at draft camp.

Cripps especially seems like one of those who tears up the training track, in a desire to better himself as a player.

Lucas was never going to make it and no one apart from himself can help him. You can't make it in AFL if you wont compete and don't kick it well. You can't help guys who aren't competitive. Doesn't have what it takes between the ears, may eventually come with maturity and a lot of time and patience which I'm glad we haven't given him at the sacrifice of better players of whom there are many. This was a howler of a draft pick and an example of bad drafting not bad player development, just very little template to work with with a guy who applies himself like this.

Player development isn't a magic wand that turns players who aren't going to make it into players who can make it. Player's who are good enough to make it do make it, unless they have injury or attitude problems. Player development is all about making the players who will make it better players. We've drafted a hell of a lot of poor players over recent years and had a hell of a lot of poor players play a lot of games for us, it's not development, it's just crap drafting.

Examples of poor player development at Carlton aren't those who have been delisted. It's those who are playing but have areas in their game which are lacking. For example, Kreuzer's poor ability to impact up forward (Warnock too), Betts and Garlett never really being educated and pushed to play through the middle at times, Waite's attitude (was too late to change it when Mick arrived), Gibbs only now finding a place and a role through the center, Fevola's attitude and behavior off the field (like Parkin said, they should have got ontop of it when he was young), Robinson's discipline (could it have been shaped early in his career?), Armfield's ability to go through the center should be a lot better, he never got given a go under our previous regime and isn't an overly flexible player because of it.

Yes you can't change all of this but you can try and a players ability to play in different roles/positions, their attitude towards being a professional footballer and their improvement in their weakness is what player development is all about. You get a player like Thomas who has been brought up in a system of good player development, he can play forward, back and midfield and trains hard and is professional off the field. This is a sign of good player development. You could even suggest that Murphy and Carrazzo should have a better ability to play in the forward line than they do now.

You look at the midfielders from the Ratten era, they are pretty much that, just midfielders, not many of them can go forward and kick a few goals. They are more opportunist goal scorers.

Examples in the changes of player development can be seen everywhere at Carlton. You watch the VFL and you have Graham and Cripps who are center square ball magnets but they are being made to spend time in the forward line and learning to kick goals. Sheehan and Byrne have spent time at either end of the field. Watson was tried in every way shape and form as a defender and is now developing as a forward, his quality hasn't been good but at least he is now becoming a flexible player who just might make it as a forward. This year you will see guys like Walsh learning to play forward, continued development of Byrne, Cripps, Graham as flexible footballers. Cripps may even learn to play a little back. Jaksch will be developed as both a forward, defender and possibly a medium sized defender. Kreuzer will play a lot up forward to make up for lost time. Menzel will learn to play midfield. Buckley might be seen on a wing or forward line at times. Our development of Sam Rowe has been very good. Whiley I think will probably get developed in a way where he will learn to play both back and forward as well as his preferred midfield where he will learn to hunt the footy and tag. Johnson will have to learn to expand his game. Holman showed he needs to develop his defensive game and may be thrown back and forward at times as well as spend time tagging. Since Malthous has arrived we see players in the VFL play a lot of their footy in their main position as usual but we also see them placed in positions they aren't necessarily comfortable in which is great. We will start to see young players come into the side who can do their main job, what ever that be, and also play other roles and positions. I think we'll see a lot of midfielders coming in who can push forward and kick goals. We're also most likely going to have a lot of tall guys who can play at either end, or at least play there a bit.

Our previous coaching administration did some thing right in regards to player development but a lot of it was accidental or forced. Henderson I could see potential in his as a defender, it took injuries before we'd even try him there and after leaving him forward where he often struggled we threw him back and luckily he did well and we kept him there for a while and his game as a CHB grew out of sight. You get the feel that Malthouse would have had him playing a bit back a lot earlier and this would have been natural, but here we go, we have a player who is properly developed and is a real asset. Yarran came as a forward but was developed as a half back, mainly so we could fit in him, Garlett and Betts but it was a good call. Scotland came to us from Collingwoood, he could play center, wing, back and a bit forward. Our players in the VFL weren't often shuffled around like they are now, I think we had guys coaching who were more about winning than teaching players (Teague etc).

Player development is not about turning duds into decent AFL players. It's about adding strings to the bow of decent AFL players to make them more damaging and to give the team greater flexibility, more successful rotations (where our fadeouts come from) and greater cover for injury or mismatches. It's about taking those guys who really have a go, have skills and can get the footy and making them smarter.

Those players were never going to make it. I don't think you will find too many of them doing much elsewhere. This is just poor drafting and the general flow of players who don't make it every club gets.

yeah - that was the point I was making..

Tend to agree
Development is important but you can't turn s**t into sugar (made that one up myself!)
It is early days but the 2014 crop look like a great haul as do Cripps, Menzel admittedly they were high picks

Tend to agree
Development is important but you can't turn s**t into sugar (made that one up myself!)
It is early days but the 2014 crop look like a great haul as do Cripps, Menzel admittedly they were high picks
Nice one.

I also like 'You can't polish a turn. Even if you do, you only end up with shiny s**t.'

Tend to agree

No, but we turned sugar into s**t...

(sorry Kane, it was there...)

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

Someone beat ya to it...

screen-shot-2013-09-15-at-22-55-02.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they have sacked him I wonder on what grounds. Doubt we'll ever know.

For getting 3 out of 3 right in the first 3 rounds last year, perhaps?

Seems odd, unless the genius behind the 2014 was not he

Of course I say this and those 3 lads haven't played a game yet but something tells me all 3 are the goods

Add in Cripps too btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back