Blues robbed of another win

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to know if the AFL think the umpires are doing a good job, considering nearly every round sees a statement issued admitting a crucial mistake here or there.

Personally I thought the free kick was soft
However, after that goal Carlton had 3 minutes to kick a winning goal of their own.
They didn't even come close, in fact Thurlow should have iced it for Geelong with a minute left
Even after that miss, the Blues had a minute to go the length of the ground but were hemmed into the back pocket

I'd like to know if the AFL think the umpires are doing a good job, considering nearly every round sees a statement issued admitting a crucial mistake here or there.

On the umpiring/MRP board, I asked why Kennedy and/or Campbell don't just review every game and make a small statement (just a few sentences) on every contentious decision and non-decision and whether it was interpreted correctly with regards to the rule and the spirit of the rule. Only commenting on one decision because it occurred deep in the last quarter just fans the flames. Do it thoroughly, or don't bother.

Costs us a win but more importantly could of costed a Sydney, Freo or Hawks of a home final....

Even if we assume that Carlton cleared the ball from that situation, with no further score to Geelong and the rest of the game unfolded precisely as it did on Friday, the result would have been a draw, which would have been practically the same as a win to Geelong, with regards to the ladder, unless there is another draw involving a top four team in the remaining two and a bit rounds.

Given how we know how corrupted the AFL is it would not surprise me if its all going as intended.

Umpiring has changed dramatically ever since betting is advertised everywhere, the fact that umpires never get in trouble is telling.

The game is now more controllable than ever, pay a few 50/50's in front of goal you can change the momentum of the match or the result, this is becoming more and more frequent.

I'm not sure if AFL has a deal for desired results for the betting agencies?
Or do they have favorite teams? I doubt that.
Trying to make every game close for a better spectacle?

I think there is a clear agenda in the past 2-3 years there have been many umpire influence results.

There were 2 games that the Eagles played last year that we should not have won and I felt disgusted that we beat the opposition because the umpires in the dying seconds won us the game for whatever reason I dont know, I dont believe WCE or any other club is getting into the umpires pocket to get them over the line I think the umpires are instructed what to do in each game which is why every single game is umpired differently I do not know of a sport that fluctuates rules and umpiring like the AFL.

People often refer to how Eagles get a free ride with umpires, one or two games yes I've seen umpires win us the games. I know we have a bigger free kick tally than anyone but if you actually watch our games those free kicks arent changing the result what so ever they are generally payed where it barely affects the game. you could have 20 free kicks in defense or you could have 6 free kicks in front of game the team who gets the 6 free kicks in front of goal is at a much higher advantage.

Costs us a win but more importantly could of costed a Sydney, Freo or Hawks of a home final....

Correct. Gifted Geelong 4 points and the worst part is the AFL come out with a patronising
" We got that one wrong " :rolleyes: Worst part is the officiating umpire sees no free and a ******* idiot from 35 metres away has to put his ego above the game and put his beak in and **** it up. Should be made accountable by not being allowed to umpire AFL Senior footy again this year. You have senile old fools like KB in the media saying umpires don't cost teams games ! Yeah Kevin sure they don't.:rolleyes:

Given how we know how corrupted the AFL is it would not surprise me if its all going as intended.

Umpiring has changed dramatically ever since betting is advertised everywhere, the fact that umpires never get in trouble is telling.

The game is now more controllable than ever, pay a few 50/50's in front of goal you can change the momentum of the match or the result, this is becoming more and more frequent.

I'm not sure if AFL has a deal for desired results for the betting agencies?
Or do they have favorite teams? I doubt that.
Trying to make every game close for a better spectacle?

I think there is a clear agenda in the past 2-3 years there have been many umpire influence results.

There were 2 games that the Eagles played last year that we should not have won and I felt disgusted that we beat the opposition because the umpires in the dying seconds won us the game for whatever reason I dont know, I dont believe WCE or any other club is getting into the umpires pocket to get them over the line I think the umpires are instructed what to do in each game which is why every single game is umpired differently I do not know of a sport that fluctuates rules and umpiring like the AFL.

People often refer to how Eagles get a free ride with umpires, one or two games yes I've seen umpires win us the games. I know we have a bigger free kick tally than anyone but if you actually watch our games those free kicks arent changing the result what so ever they are generally payed where it barely affects the game. you could have 20 free kicks in defense or you could have 6 free kicks in front of game the team who gets the 6 free kicks in front of goal is at a much higher advantage.
I only joined a few days ago, when i did i told my friend that i had joined Bigfooty and his exact words were, Bigfooty is full of F#$@witts. Guess i found the first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. Gifted Geelong 4 points and the worst part is the AFL come out with a patronising
" We got that one wrong " :rolleyes: Worst part is the officiating umpire sees no free and a ******* idiot from 35 metres away has to put his ego above the game and put his beak in and **** it up. Should be made accountable by not being allowed to umpire AFL Senior footy again this year. You have senile old fools like KB in the media saying umpires don't cost teams games ! Yeah Kevin sure they don't.:rolleyes:

Yeah but if a player made a stupid mistake by putting his ego above the game and running forward and getting burnt on the rebound, he would get privately sprayed but if it was a decent player, would not be dropped. Why should an ump be dropped for the season for a mistake?

Umps definitely need to be held accountable, but it's not like there's a forest of umps out there. Calls of 'drop him for the season' are just hyperbolic.

I thought it was an arm-chop free personally

Not sure how it could be an arm chop, Doc didn't even touch his arms. Brushed the top of his shoulder at best. Was paid for in the back. Neither were there.

Easy to say the Blues were robbed, but who knows what would've happened in alternate universe one two or three if it wasn't given. One thing we know for sure is that in this universe, the ump ****ed up and ruined a good game. You'd hope he's made aware of the elements of his error and called to account for it.

Just as worrying for me was the free paid to Selwood for a fair bump. Umps just see a bump and s**t themselves. It's like contact in a marking contest a couple of years ago, they've just lost the ability to officiate this part of the game. There's some big problems with our game atm I reckon.

Yeah but if a player made a stupid mistake by putting his ego above the game and running forward and getting burnt on the rebound, he would get privately sprayed but if it was a decent player, would not be dropped. Why should an ump be dropped for the season for a mistake?

Umps definitely need to be held accountable, but it's not like there's a forest of umps out there. Calls of 'drop him for the season' are just hyperbolic.

If that game cost you a finals berth you might not think it was hyperbolic. " We got it wrong does " not cut it. Sides winning at the hand of an umpire's ineptness calls for accountability.

If that game cost you a finals berth you might not think it was hyperbolic. " We got it wrong does " not cut it. Sides winning at the hand of an umpire's ineptness calls for accountability.

Exactly they admitted to guilt where does that leave the umpire? he will be lining up for the next match.

Another rant, I hate how the commentary is almost silent about bullshit decisions you hear s**t like "oh the umpires are letting it go today" sorry? today? why not all year? or why not 4 qtrs? the fact that inconsistency is acceptable is an absolute farce. Imagine the players and the coaches, they would be thinking which umpiring will we get today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back