Autopsy Blues win against the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we changed our game plan.

We played just like we did first game against Port.

We played the same way we did when we came back against Richmond. And according to Jamo on the podcast that week, the way we played in that second half was how we were meant to play from the beginning.

When you have no confidence - of course players aren't going to take the game on & kick into the corridor.

Surely a bit of unpredictability in the gameplan has to be useful in the modern game.

With so much time invested in studying the opposition tactics, surely switching up the tactics from boundary line to corridor play will wrongfoot the opposition. If you can find the best way to communicate the shift in the playbook accross the field, you could easily outsmart the opposition.

Photo Gallery

323122-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

323284-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

323244-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

323299-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

323252-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

Love the raised eyebrow in that photo.

Robert DiNero voice: "You want ME, to kick it to YOU? Well I don't see anyone else calling for it!"
I'm pretty sure thats what was happening for the first 3 quarters....no other way to explain so many missed targets.

Just watching the downloaded replay (thanks ZeeCFC) with the obligatory couple of glasses of red.

Am I right in saying that, with Robbo out, Tommy Bell is the only Blue that goes out to 'hurt' the opposition. Our problem is that we don't intimidate the opposition - no side walks in fear when they play the Blues.

He is out for the next 3-4 weeks but Bell has to be persevered with. He has a bit of mongrel that we need. Also impressed he went back to the Twos and worked hard.

Casboult.

I don't think we changed our game plan.

We played just like we did first game against Port.

We played the same way we did when we came back against Richmond. And according to Jamo on the podcast that week, the way we played in that second half was how we were meant to play from the beginning.

When you have no confidence - of course players aren't going to take the game on & kick into the corridor.
Very astute etsal1. Wisdom, methinks, well beyond your years.

Exactly.:thumbsu:

Play on quickly and run and carry the footy.

Firmly believe Malthouse's statement that the game plan wasn't changed at all. The players had got to the low point in terms of confidence and once there the only way back was to throw caution out the window and go for it. Slow ball movement in today's game is an absolute killer.

Add intensity at the contest and you've got some decent footy being played.

Now if the players keep doing it week in week out watch the media in particular jump on the wagon.

I come in peace
Fully agree that the game plan hasn't changed. We used a similar gameplan throughout Mick's time with us and when we played well, we intense, moved the ball at speed and invariably won. Flipside is that the gameplan was criticised when we lost because ball movement was slow, we were second to the ball, and allowed the opposition to kick easy goals. Sound familiar?
Game plans are only useful if they are executed well. As you said, your boys had a lot more confidence and it showed in the way you played.

Definitely and absolutely, this was a win for the ages. Every player contributed, every player fought hard, ran hard, tackled hard and passed the ball off quickly and accurately - not sure of the stats but I think turnovers were very low, and opposition scoring from our turnovers lower still. The quick, running movement through the middle was breathtaking at times.

I really enjoyed watching this game, so much so that I replayed it immediately after it was finished, and then once more yesterday. To me this game represented everything this club is all about. More than anything, this was an exciting game of football to watch.

Hendo is fantastic in the forward line - I know he plays the swing role but I feel he plays a better forward than backman. The Waite/Hendo combo is deadly. These guys are really in sync with each other. The backline was handled brilliantly by White and Rowe.

I cannot think of a single player that had an off game. Inspiring to see Daisy back to his Collingwood form (almost). Murph was inspiring. Curnow, Walker and Gibbs were awesome. Warnock proved he can do more than hit outs.

Critics will say that the Bulldogs had an off day but make no mistake, this win was a hard-won battle and the Dogs are no pushovers.

Feels good to be a member today.

What a shame we couldn't have taken out the Tigers and the Dees and be sitting 3-2... Nevertheless the manner in which the team operated on the weekend is the bare minimum required each week from now on.

Will be interesting whether they can match the intensity against West Coast. The Eagles are (some say abnormally) ordinary right now and very gettable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a shame we couldn't have taken out the Tigers and the Dees and be sitting 3-2... Nevertheless the manner in which the team operated on the weekend is the bare minimum required each week from now on.

Will be interesting whether they can match the intensity against West Coast. The Eagles are (some say abnormally) ordinary right now and very gettable.
Darren Glass is out for this game - it's a small win for us.

I'm not getting too excited but it was a really good win. The effort was there all game which is all we can ask for.

Waite will probably have 5 horrible games in a row after this one.

I love watching Tom Bell, his hustle and determination today was fantastic.

Did anyone else like Rowe in the back line? Other than that horrible turnover I thought he was pretty solid.

Just love watching Bell run through/past traffic - just hope he can gradually add a bit of polish to his disposal. Henderson, Waite and Casboult worked very well together in the forward half. Rowe has been doing enough to keep his place with no KPDs setting the world on fire in the NBs - with more games and confidence he might just prove to be a reliable option down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back