Autopsy Blues win against the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another. Scotland takes the mark up forward, tries to play on and loses his feet. He stays down, hoping the ump will let him take his kick. Ump calls play on and Scotland is immediately tackled. Russell in a whiny voice complains it has to be holding the ball and that he had prior opportunity when he took the step and hit the ground. Problem is Dwayne, that Scotland's prior opportunity only starts from when the umpire calls play on, not from when the mark was taken. We see the same benefit of the doubt for almost all players that don't realise the call is play on, whether they slip or whether the ball is touched.

Commentators shouldn't be calling games when they can't keep their dislike in check.

I watched the game again last night. Kudos to Ed Curnow balls to run on one leg. Same goes to Tom Bell, wow stilling chasing and tackling the opposition with one hand. Gotta hurt.

Watched the first quarter last night, and about the watch the rest of it now.
What stood out was how many times we played after we had taken a mark. Essentially ran the Western Bulldogs off their feet.
Great to watch.

Watched the first quarter last night, and about the watch the rest of it now.
What stood out was how many times we played on after we had taken a mark. Essentially ran the Western Bulldogs off their feet.
Great to watch.
Please proof your posts. fmd...

Another. Scotland takes the mark up forward, tries to play on and loses his feet. He stays down, hoping the ump will let him take his kick. Ump calls play on and Scotland is immediately tackled. Russell in a whiny voice complains it has to be holding the ball and that he had prior opportunity when he took the step and hit the ground. Problem is Dwayne, that Scotland's prior opportunity only starts from when the umpire calls play on, not from when the mark was taken. We see the same benefit of the doubt for almost all players that don't realise the call is play on, whether they slip or whether the ball is touched.

Commentators shouldn't be calling games when they can't keep their dislike in check.

This.

Dwayne's commentary was ridiculous.

Finished watching the replay, and a big shout out to Kane Lucas in the last quarter. With Curnow and Judd off the ground he got a few touches through the midfield which were crucial at the time. Kept the ball going forward. I really hope Mick persists with him for most the year.

Finished watching the replay, and a big shout out to Kane Lucas in the last quarter. With Curnow and Judd off the ground he got a few touches through the midfield which were crucial at the time. Kept the ball going forward. I really hope Mick persists with him for most the year.
Yep, agree. I thought he and Bell were huge in that last quarter with their tanks and hard running.

I think Kane didn't actually have as many touches as we're used to him getting considering he wasn't sub or anything (about 12 I think), but he was playing a more inside or contested game. His 9 tackles is evidence of this.

Made a couple errors did Sugar, but his drive (along with Bell as I mentioned) late in the game when everyone was dead tired was just so crucial. Well done Kane.

So the game plan really is fast ball movement along the wings and hugging the boundary in our back half, then look for options in the corridor. If the options aren't there, look for a mark I50 near the boundary. Low percentage shot if we mark it but probably going to be a throw in where our chances are 50/50 at the stoppage. So it has been breaking down because we haven't been playing on or because teams are making a concerted effort to stop our run on.

Playing on gives us time and space. Stop us from playing on and we have to pinpoint our passes as that space has been reduced.

We still need a plan for when a team can block us up. Dogs really didn't apply themselves in that regard.

I also noticed the amount of work Simpson did and the amount of direction and run he provided. Lots of good players on Sunday night and I think I left Simpson out of my votes. When re-watching I reckon he could be 2nd or 3rd best behind Murphy.

His repeat gut running for the one-two to present an option up the ground really stood out for me.

Commentators shouldn't be playing umpire at all. It's highly unethical, something many commentators seem to have forgotten. Too many of them openly second-guess the umpires which does nothing to promote goodwill towards the umpies.
We ordinary fans are allowed to criticize the umps because we're not talking into microphones broadcasting our "expert" opinions to millions of people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched it again last night... some of the tackles he laid in the last were game saving stuff or were big hits just as the opposition player had got rid of the ball.

Big hits.

So the game plan really is fast ball movement along the wings and hugging the boundary in our back half, then look for options in the corridor. If the options aren't there, look for a mark I50 near the boundary. Low percentage shot if we mark it but probably going to be a throw in where our chances are 50/50 at the stoppage. So it has been breaking down because we haven't been playing on or because teams are making a concerted effort to stop our run on.

Playing on gives us time and space. Stop us from playing on and we have to pinpoint our passes as that space has been reduced.

We still need a plan for when a team can block us up. Dogs really didn't apply themselves in that regard.

IMO, that's what the game plan actually looks like when executed as intended. The game plan has always been predicated on fast ball movement, and the very reason why the route is (primarily) via the boundary is to minimise damage, should there be a need to kick to a contest. MM's game plan has never been bomb it long down the line; this is last option..

Commentators shouldn't be playing umpire at all. It's highly unethical, something many commentators seem to have forgotten. Too many of them openly second-guess the umpires which does nothing to promote goodwill towards the umpies.
We ordinary fans are allowed to criticize the umps because we're not talking into microphones broadcasting our "expert" opinions to millions of people.
What happened to them just calling the game?
There used to be maybe 3 'commentators' and a 'special' or 'expert' comments.
Now they're all bloody experts who try and tell all how the game should be played, coached and umpired.
Just call the game ffs!!

Pretty accurate break down for mine.:thumbsu:

Re the bolded bit, for me rather than a plan as such this is the time when the players must dig deep, win the 50/50's and just last longer than the opposition. Making the most of your opportunities on the scoreboard will make this task easier as well.

Sooner or later you will get a game that just has to be a grind, playing the Hawks or Freo for example and no plan will win it for you other than hard work, for four quarters.

IMO, that's what the game plan actually looks like when executed as intended. The game plan has always been predicated on fast ball movement, and the very reason why the route is (primarily) via the boundary is to minimise damage, should there be a need to kick to a contest. MM's game plan has never been bomb it long down the line; this is last option..

The critical part is how we utilize our talls. Waite, Henderson and Casboult worked extremely well as a team. Waite would push up and provide a 50m target exiting our defensive 50, and then either Warnock or Casboult would provide another target in the middle of the ground and then allow our running mids to overlap with speed into our forward 50 where Henderson would be deep as a target. I think most coaches don't like the bomb. It is generally a last resort.

The workrate improved and frankly the Dogs didn't match us. When Waite is pushing up to half back we are a better side, provided we have Henderson in the forward 50. Yes the ball movement was faster, but alot of our early dominance stemmed from Waite and Henderson providing a solid forward structure which enabled the midfield and back 6 targets exiting the defensive 50

Issue is going to be against the Eagles we won't have that kind of lack of workrate from the opposition.

Sooo...listening to Dwayne on 3aw tonight, they were blabbing about the state of the game, and both Richo and Dwayne mentioned how they'd enjoyed the Carlton/Bulldogs game. Dwayne then referred to a couple of Carlton 'warriors' going down in the last quarter in relation to fatigue opening the game up.

I swear I detected a hint of a grudging respect for the Blues.

Sooo...listening to Dwayne on 3aw tonight, they were blabbing about the state of the game, and both Richo and Dwayne mentioned how they'd enjoyed the Carlton/Bulldogs game. Dwayne then referred to a couple of Carlton 'warriors' going down in the last quarter in relation to fatigue opening the game up.

I swear I detected a hint of a grudging respect for the Blues.

They love us! :hearts::thumbsu::hearts:
They just don't know it yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back