Health BMI- wat da *?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm 5 10 and IIRC the good range for that height starts in the high 50s. The taller jockeys around my height like Arnold and the Rawillers starve themselves and sit in their car with jumpers and the heater on in the middle summer to sweat the weight off to ride. As if 58kg is "good".

BMI is only relevant for those of a "normal" build. Meaning, those who are muscular or don't have a lot of muscle, may be deemed overweight or underweight when the reality is they're not.

The simplest way is to do a waist circumference in which you should be under 94 cm (dependent on race though. Cut off is 10cm less if you're Asian or Indian). And also a waist to hip ratio.

I'd be the same height as you, and I'd be anywhere from 68-70 kg's right now. No clue if I'm normal weight, or just a tiny bit overweight, but my hip to waist ratio is under 0.9 which is good.

Another way of measuring is to measure your body fat percentage using calippers.

bmi.bmp

I'm at the cusp of healthy weight and overweight for my (average) height.

Doesn't mean much though. A mate of mine is the same height and a very similar build and is 5-10kg lighter. If I go to buy size 32 pants and find they don't fit because they're too tight instead of too loose then I might reassess.

This calculator seems to use the same values for men and women:

http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/Pages/bmi-calculator.aspx

That is just silly.

Doesn't mean much though. A mate of mine is the same height and a very similar build and is 5-10kg lighter. If I go to buy size 32 pants and find they don't fit because they're too tight instead of too loose then I might reassess.

That is just silly.

That's the ******* one I was using!!!!

HEART FOUNDATION ffs...disgraceful tool.

BMI is only relevant for those of a "normal" build. Meaning, those who are muscular or don't have a lot of muscle, may be deemed overweight or underweight when the reality is they're not.

The simplest way is to do a waist circumference in which you should be under 94 cm (dependent on race though. Cut off is 10cm less if you're Asian or Indian). And also a waist to hip ratio.

I'd be the same height as you, and I'd be anywhere from 68-70 kg's right now. No clue if I'm normal weight, or just a tiny bit overweight, but my hip to waist ratio is under 0.9 which is good.

Another way of measuring is to measure your body fat percentage using calippers.

Hmm thanks.

I have ended up losing 24 kgs over 18 months.

I am at a happy weight, clothes fit, good bloods, but geez BMI gets me.

It is weird though cos people who haven't seen me walk straight past me now....unrecognizable....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is just silly.
I went onto that site, and didn't have to fill anything in, I'm 170cms, and weigh 70kgs, I just had to change the sex.

Ive lost 35 kg in the last 10 months, doctor based all my numbers on bmi even though its a complete crock. 181cm and my weight was supposed to be 85kg. Im down to 75kg now. I think the waist measurement and just how you feel in general is a better way to look at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive lost 35 kg in the last 10 months, doctor based all my numbers on bmi even though its a complete crock. 181cm and my weight was supposed to be 85kg. Im down to 75kg now. I think the waist measurement and just how you feel in general is a better way to look at it

Wow, great effort that...wat did u do to lose that much?

Wow, great effort that...wat did u do to lose that much?

I tried all sorts of diets and excercise but just wouldnt come off, finally bit the bullet and went to the doctor and he gave me duromine. Also set up appointments with a dietcian and exercise therapist, best thing i ever did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back