FTA-TV Boardwalk Empire

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was all but confirmed anyway but now it's official: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25680443

Can't say I was a big fan. I stopped watching during season 3; it felt self-indulgent and too slow versus the amount of characters they had introduced by then. It was kind of jarring going from episode to episode wondering which characters would be sitting on the bench this week.

I had no problems with Buscemi as leand, I thought he carried the show fine, same for the rest of the cast - very well performed all-round. Cinematography was also great - certainly one of the best looking TV series I've seen.

So it was just shame the writing wasn't up to par. I have nothing against the slow pacing, just as long as they'd hone in on something and stick with it. By season 3 there were too many characters and threads with very little development - I got bored.

tumblr_m2a1ehzbem1rorn9ko1_500.gif

It's a very good show. Gets you caring and interested in most of the characters. And not predictable. Perhaps slow at times but in a focused way that matters.

Richard's dying dream was a great final scene. Sweet, a little creepy and sad all together :thumbsu:

A criticism I have is the lack of establishing shots! I know it's because as a television show they only have a limited budget to work with (which they put to very good use on the sets and costumes) but it'd be a fantastic touch if it had wide/aerial shots of 1920s New York and Chicago instead of the city name against a wall and the windows typically obscured. Nitpicking maybe but it sure stands out after 48 episodes.

One of the best shows on TV back tonight! Or probably available right now for those of you at home. Only 8 episodes for the final season unfortunately.

Some possible spoilery stuff about this season's setting:

Set in 1931, jumping forward 7 years since the end of season 4. Don't like the sound of that, admittedly without seeing any of it - was especially looking forward to the adventures of Eli and Van Alden in Chicago after the season 4 finale. Also means no more Rothstein as he was assassinated in 1928 :(

Not sure I like the Nucky flashbacks, with only 8 episodes this season I was hoping they'd devote time to existing characters in current timelines. The 7 year gap was a bit jarring too, criminal that we don't get to see the last days of Rothstein considereing how big a part of the show that he's been. Was thinking they should have gone with a jump of 3-4 years in incorporated his death as a major part of this final season - just on that, any history buffs care to hazard a guess why they've jumped to '31? Use spoiler tags if necessary.

Sorry to see Joe Masseria go, he was one of my favourite peripheral characters (dialect and cadence was spot on - he talked just like my wife's nonna lol). And I miss Richard already :(

Hoping for some Van Alden/Mueller next week.

Was thinking they should have gone with a jump of 3-4 years in incorporated his death as a major part of this final season - just on that, any history buffs care to hazard a guess why they've jumped to '31? Use spoiler tags if necessary.

Prohibition ended in ~1933. So to set it in 1931 (and from what we've seen from episode 1 of season 5) I assume they're wanting to end the show around the time when prohibition came to an end or at the very least around the time when prohibition was on its last legs. That's probably reflected a bit in what Nucky was doing for the entirety of episode 1.

The first episode of season 1 began on the eve of prohibition so it'll be fitting that the show will conclude (possibly) around the time when prohibition came to an end.

I thought I'd be fine with AR's death not being covered because of the time jump, as I didn't think BE would go down the flashback path considering that they've only got eight episodes to wrap things up. Yet after hearing Meyer's fleeting reference to his death I'm pretty disappointed, as I feel he was a brilliant character and the quality of his portrayal is up there with the finest acting we've seen from this talented cast.

IIRC AR's murder has never been solved either, so going by Luciano having Masseria whacked and the apparent role Meyer had in the attempt on Nucky maybe they could be behind it in the show and it will be something we'll hear of later.

Thought it was a great episode to start back up with. If I hadn't read on this thread about the jump in time, I probably would've been a bit confused though. Chalky has such a great presence on screen even when he isn't saying much. Or perhaps, more to the point, BECAUSE he doesn't say much.

The fact they are only doing 8 episodes means things will feel rushed in parts. Shame the show was cancelled and we weren't given a full season.

I liked the flashback stuff as it showed how Eunuch became Nucky.

Very good ep as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have tried this show twice and both times struggled my way to end of season 2 but lose interest. Does it improve from season 3 onwards?

Hmm a few people I know consider season 3 and 4 the best, but I'd say if you're not into it after 2 seasons its probably not going to be your cup of tea. I thought it was amazeballs pretty much from the get-go.

Finally finished with season four.

Have never been more depressed over the passing of a television character. Doesn't matter that it was always on the cards, or that it was beautifully shot. I just wanted Julia and Tommy and he to live a ******* happy life together. An amazingly realised character by Jack Huston.

Finally finished with season four.

Have never been more depressed over the passing of a television character. Doesn't matter that it was always on the cards, or that it was beautifully shot. I just wanted Julia and Tommy and he to live a ******* happy life together. An amazingly realised character by Jack Huston.
100% :thumbsu:. It was one of my favourite seasons. Particularly enjoyed some of Eddie Kessler and Agent Knox's efforts.

It looks like the stage is set now for the Nucky vs Luciano, Meyer, Bugsy plot line, this has the potential to a great rivalry.

I can't help but feel disappointed about how the time jump has robbed us of so much of Al Capone's story, I know the show is about Nucky but from the moment we were introduced to Al in the pilot I was looking forward to watching him rise.

I can't help but feel disappointed about how the time jump has robbed us of so much of Al Capone's story, I know the show is about Nucky but from the moment we were introduced to Al in the pilot I was looking forward to watching him rise.

I had to remind myself that they'd skipped ahead 4 years or whatever it was when they first showed Capone. Vastly different to how we saw him in the previous seasons.

Yeah the time jump is really disappointing on a number of fronts. I know its not their fault - they're just trying to get in as much as they can of what they had planned, as best they can, after being cancelled. But still;

- Capone's rise to power
- Rothstein's demise
- St Valentines day massacre

Add to that the character stuff that doesn't really wash for me because of the break, prime example being Eli. At the end of last season, before they knew they were cancelled, they left it set up for the adventures of Eli and Van Alden in Chicago - awesome. They were obviously so keen on this idea that it's just been transplanted to '31. Now ok, we get to see that stuff, some of which was admittedly pretty great this episode. But things in Atlantic City didn't blow over and Eli couldn't work out a way to get back to his family in 6 years? Really? His murder of Knox was covered up wasn't it?

The other weird thing is what is Gillian even doing in this season? Would have thought her arc had reached a fairly natural conclusion. I can deal with the Nucky flashbacks but not sure sure what possible payoff could be achieved by giving screen time to Gillian. Chalky White in every episode please rather than any of that.

I wonder if Boris McGiver's character will play a bigger role down the track (during the flashbacks). Seems a strange choice for a bit of a nothing character.

The other weird thing is what is Gillian even doing in this season? Would have thought her arc had reached a fairly natural conclusion. I can deal with the Nucky flashbacks but not sure sure what possible payoff could be achieved by giving screen time to Gillian. Chalky White in every episode please rather than any of that.

Great post, I agree 100%

Just on this bit though...

I was annoyed by this too and figured they were just including her to give her an ending rather than just completely forget about her, but as you say that doesn't make sense considering her story arc was given a plausible end last season. Apparently a younger version of Gillian is going to feature prominently in Nucky's flashbacks, as it's always been implied that his role in handing her over to the Commodore to be molested is the first truly evil thing Nucky did, so perhaps they just thought it wouldn't make sense to show the younger version without giving any air time to the present? Even if that's the case here's hoping we don't see much more of her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back