FTA-TV Boardwalk Empire

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn't really like the standoff scene for the simple fact that a couple of the key guys went down in a bit of a hodgepotch manner. Having said that the rest of it was superb. The flashback scenes have really grown into more than I could have hoped for and have really topped the whole series off beautifully. Where I once thought this season to be a bit superfluous it has really succeeded particularly in that flashback storyline. Not saying it's Godfather 2 levels but it is fairly engrossing!
The actor playing Bugsy did a really great job making me laugh this episode.
The end is in sight now how sad :(

Can't believe this show has to end when there's so much rubbish out there.

Some sad ends to a few of the great characters.

Vincent Piazza right eye closes more and more every episode.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
How sad to see Nucky so defeated, I hope Luciano gets what's coming to him.
Gonna miss this show :(

If you mean dying as an old man in Italy, yes, he'll get whats coming to him.

If you mean dying as an old man in Italy, yes, he'll get whats coming to him.

I'm hopeful they do a spin-off and continue with Lucky Luciano. Some great tv to be had with him.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I'm hopeful they do a spin-off and continue with Lucky Luciano. Some great tv to be had with him.

I wanted more than anything a spin-off reboot of 'The Untouchables'. Would be insane.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Churned through this season in the last week, just in time for the finale.

After getting over the shock of them passing over 7 years...it's turned out to work well even if it meant we were finished with Rothstein and missed out on this.

Will be interesting to see how the finale shapes up. Have never found Nucky to be the most compelling part of the show and I still want to stay as far away from Gillian as possible, so if the finale is about the two of them trying to save each other I don't think that's particularly satisfying (to me anyway) but it probably does make the most sense narratively.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just caught up on last weeks ep and ok, they have officially pulled it off re: the flashbacks, including the Gillian stuff, I'm fully on board. All the actors have nailed it, young Gillian and the 2 versions of Nucky have been amazing; cadence, body language, mannerisms, its all spot on. But its even more than that, its the way they shoot the actors as well. That profile shot of young Gillian at the end of the hallway when Nucky and Maybel were talking about her, pretty sure we've seen a few very similar shots of adult Gillian over the journey. Just an amazing and meticulous show, so many little details like that.

One more episode, how can it be :(

I didn't really like the standoff scene for the simple fact that a couple of the key guys went down in a bit of a hodgepotch manner. Having said that the rest of it was superb. The flashback scenes have really grown into more than I could have hoped for and have really topped the whole series off beautifully. Where I once thought this season to be a bit superfluous it has really succeeded particularly in that flashback storyline. Not saying it's Godfather 2 levels but it is fairly engrossing!
The actor playing Bugsy did a really great job making me laugh this episode.
The end is in sight now how sad :(

Totally agree. Thought the flashbacks were just a waste of screentime initially, how wrong I was. Should have had more faith in a show with such pedigree I guess - the more I think about it the more it becomes clear that this was really the only way they could pull it off given the constraints of the shortened final season. Its always been Nucky's story - this way we get such insight into his history and motivations to make the decisions he is making in the endgame. Think it has much more weight and impact than if they just devoted all screentime to fleshing out the current timeline. Particularly liked Nucky rising through the ranks because the sheriff in the flashbacks (Lindsey?) decided he couldn't do it anymore - he'd be about the same age in the flashbacks as Nucky is in the present wouldn't he? And then Gillian's letter to close out the episode. It really is masterful stuff.

And, yeah, I thought his big mouth would've got him in trouble long before this.

Haha yep, didn't Eli say to him "how the hell are you still alive" back in season 2 or 3

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wow.

That was unbelievable, the way this final season has played out and the way they've shot it has been nothing short of perfect, this is how you end a television series.

After this final season I definitely think this can stand beside The Soprano's as an equal, Winter and Van Patten have done a superb job.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not the greatest finale I've seen but I'm fairly satisfied. This final season was a bit rushed but not much they could do about that, I think they've finished it really well all things considered.

Not at The Wire/Sopranos level for me but still really enjoyed it.

Also, the actors who played Nucky and Gillian in the flashbacks were fantastic. Even their little mannerisms were spot on.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The Capone scene (excellent revisit to that classic scene with his son ) and Nucky flashbacks aside I thought it was just slightly above average. That is until the final sequence in conjunction with the flashback that blew me away. Beautifully done. It's almost as if everything on the periphery was just side dressing for this penultimate scene. Maybe a couple more episode would have been better to fully explore the flashback to present storyline but a fitting end scene to a magnificent series.

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I hope they do a new series based on the commission, it certainly looks like they put a lot of effort assembling the Murder Inc crew etc. of Luciano, Lanskey and Siegel, would make for a great show if they charted Bugsy crating Vegas, Luciano helping America in WW2, Lansky opening up Cuba etc

Anyway the finale was ok overall. I really don't think the series ever recovered from killing off Jimmy Darmody so early.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Epic, haunting, beautiful, tragic. The last 5-10 minutes with the flashbacks being quick cut into the present on the Boardwalk, Jimmy's mother and kid, fantastic stuff. Some signature BE shots and frames as befitted the last ever episode. All the external shots on the boardwalk itself were just breath taking, the daytime stuff probably moreso than the night. Alot of symbolism in this episode as well; Nucky and Margaret not getting to finish their dance, Luciano getting a manicure etc.

Pretty decent final season considering the constraints they had to work with. I often wonder what this show would have been like if they had been allowed to run 7 seasons (remember reading somewhere that was the plan) and they hadn't had to get rid of the actor that played Jimmy. Would have been something really special IMO.. I guess it already is, for me anyway.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I hope they do a new series based on the commission, it certainly looks like they put a lot of effort assembling the Murder Inc crew etc. of Luciano, Lanskey and Siegel, would make for a great show if they charted Bugsy crating Vegas, Luciano helping America in WW2, Lansky opening up Cuba etc

Anyway the finale was ok overall. I really don't think the series ever recovered from killing off Jimmy Darmody so early.

And again I'll say it.

The Untouchables. Mess with the story slightly but it would be epic.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
The final ep was well made, constructed, etc, in typical BE fashion, and was great to watch as a story. However what I disliked was that they decided to kill off Nucky, when the real life character he was based on lived for much longer. I realise the BE Nucky wasn't completely the same as Nucky Johnson, however I feel they exploited that creative liberty for convenience to have him whacked for the sake of having the Nucky/Gillian/Tommy story all tie together nicely. I felt a bit cheated by the ending.
Still a great show and would be in my top 5 drama series.

He's dead. Notice that the bullet wound was below his eye, same as where Nucky shot Jimmy.

Figured as much.

Was just holding out hope.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
tumblr_ne0gnn1h0Q1twztnjo1_500.jpg

BWE-5.8-Capone.jpg

Loved eveything Capone in this series. Stephen Graham is one of my favourite characters. A real study in contrast in the private and public persona in the finale.

Back