News Bob Murphy named Next WB Captain

Who would you prefer to be the next WB Captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around

Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

Enough of that.......

Now that the club is turning a new leaf we havent heard any announcements for the future Captiancy.. Throwing some names up - who do you think would be the next choice for as the Captain of the Western Bulldogs?

Do you think we'd be better served with a dual captaincy? 3 way captaincy?

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't like the idea of official co-captains but would happily make Bob the captain to deal with media & that side of the caper while Moz was the VC & dealt with more of the on field leadership.

Aug 15, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In time, having a captain will be considered purely ceremonial in the AFL. In a sport that has 22 players on match day a captain only makes up 4.5% of the playing group. In a squad of 44 players the captain is 2.2% of the team and once you add in coaching staff and board members you're looking a bloke that makes up well less than 1% of your organisation.

It's much more important to have MANY leaders.

Just give the captaincy to the bloke that is well liked amongst the players, is best 22 and can handle media but most importantly doesn't take on any invisible pressure. I'm happy to go with 2 captains as long as their personal opinions on what a captain is doesn't clash.

I think Bob is the best right now. We need someone who can also hold their own in the media, and who can handle questions about Boyd/the new coach/everything else, so Bob is perfect for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I like Roughie's chances.

He has the respect of the players, he speaks exceptionally well, and he's demonstrated his courage on the field time and time again.

I'd still love to see Murphy and/or Morris get it, but I vote for Roughie.

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Now that the club is turning a new leaf we havent heard any announcements for the future Captiancy.

New coach will have a say in it, doubt we will know until the new year.

My choice: Murphy, with Morris as VC, Roughead and 2 of the more mature younger players as part of a wider leadership group.

He has been the actual public face of the club for the past three years. He obviously has a deep and abiding love for the joint and chose to stay when many of his contemporaries bailed ship, and is already a on field leader in my view.

Its time to make it official.

bob copy.jpg

Bumper stickers and buttons now available.

Last edited:

The Mirror

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal, Ravens, Hoppers Warriors
Bob, with Roughie as vice (Roughie to take over in a few years.)

Love the idea of a full back as captain.

If roughy gets the job it will end up being a bit awkward if Roughy doesn't ever dominate that full back position he has at the moment. I understand he has been under an injury cloud and there is potential there.. but he still hasn't arrived.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If roughy gets the job it will end up being a bit awkward if Roughy doesn't ever dominate that full back position he has at the moment. I understand he has been under an injury cloud and there is potential there.. but he still hasn't arrived.

We are in a bad situation where none of our middle aged players are guaranteed best 22 other than Roughead.

You don't have to be the best player to be captain. Just respected by all and able to communicate

See rule 3.7 Tom Harley, Nick Maxwell

Back