JD & Bojans Rolling EPL Team of the Season - Update from JD to come

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good team this week :thumbsu:, haven't seen enough of Palace to justify Dann's inclusion but can't argue against it either. Had the United game on the ipad and noticed De Gea making plenty of good saves so can't argue him this week either, assume he's probably done that for the last few weeks.

That midfield might be a bit light-on defensively though, Cabaye could probably claim that CM spot.

Kos ahead of Mike, Dann and Aldeweireld? Not for mine.

jod23 Kompany and Sakho are playing v well at CB but probably need to play more games to get a look in. Certainly coming into consideration tho.
No love for Migs either. I cant remember him making any glaring mistakes this season. He has made a slew of cracking saves though.

No love for Migs either. I cant remember him making any glaring mistakes this season. He has made a slew of cracking saves though.
Just on Sakho, he's played 6 league games thus far so is a bit behind the others who have played 10+ games. Kompany has played 7. Interesting to see both Sakho and Moreno give Rodgers a clip recently:
http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/...rodgers-on-soccer-am-says-sick-lad-in-scouse/

On Mignolet, at this point in time i have De Gea, Gomes, Lloris, Butland & Cech (in no particular order) ahead of him. Hart is a strange one. I had him ahead of Mignolet and a few others until this weekends game. He has conceded bugger all but the key for GK's with not much to do every week is to remain focused at all times which he failed to do on the weekend.

Quite a few British tabloids did also

Bit annoying
As i said earlier, I won't have a chance to watch the Spurs game until Thursday at the earliest. Given the other games are fresh in my mind it made sense to do the team early and then adjust it if necessary after I've had a chance to see your game. I have done this every matchday.

Migs shot stopping is the best in the league but falls down too much in other areas.
e32.jpg

Just on Sakho, he's played 6 league games thus far so is a bit behind the others who have played 10+ games. Kompany has played 7. Interesting to see both Sakho and Moreno give Rodgers a clip recently:
http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/...rodgers-on-soccer-am-says-sick-lad-in-scouse/

On Mignolet, at this point in time i have De Gea, Gomes, Lloris, Butland & Cech (in no particular order) ahead of him. Hart is a strange one. I had him ahead of Mignolet and a few others until this weekends game. He has conceded bugger all but the key for GK's with not much to do every week is to remain focused at all times which he failed to do on the weekend.
Who Mignolet or Hart? Migs could do little about Chelsea's opener but outside of that was excellent.

Sakho is a bit behind the eight ball considering Rodgers was playing silly buggers and leaving our best CB on the bench. Klopp knows what's up though. Sakho is coming!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who Mignolet or Hart? Migs could do little about Chelsea's opener but outside of that was excellent.

Sakho is a bit behind the eight ball considering Rodgers was playing silly buggers and leaving our best CB on the bench. Klopp knows what's up though. Sakho is coming!
Hart.

Yeah, Rodgers definitely at fault. Playing 'his' signings ahead of committee signings.

Hart.

Yeah, Rodgers definitely at fault. Playing 'his' signings ahead of committee signings.
Also just some food for though about Sakho.

Sakho's distribution yesterday was world class, made the most passes on the pitch too (76 - 92% accuracy) always looked to pass forward.

In his four Premier League appearances in October, he enjoyed a pass completion rate of 91 per cent, and won a fairly remarkable 71 of per cent of his duels.

Not sure where to find the stat but I read somewhere that Sakho has been beaten by am attacking dribble only a couple of times for the whole season.

Being LFC these no doubt he'll pull a muscle somewhere and be out for the next 3 months. We are pushing hard to win the injury league after all.

Also just some food for though about Sakho.

Sakho's distribution yesterday was world class, made the most passes on the pitch too (76 - 92% accuracy) always looked to pass forward.

In his four Premier League appearances in October, he enjoyed a pass completion rate of 91 per cent, and won a fairly remarkable 71 of per cent of his duels.
Most pointless stat in football, Coquelin has the best pass completion rate in the league this season IIRC

Post Matchday 12 teams. The starting 11 is unchanged this week. Dimitri Payet's injury will see him replaced soon if the injury is as bad as feared (3 months off). Christian Eriksen's form since coming back into the first team may see him jump into the first team, unless Fournaldum pulls his finger out over the next couple of weeks. Kevin De Bruyne will come under pressure soon with Yannick Bolasie knocking the door down with some outstanding performances. He has added consistency to his game this season.

Manuel Lanzini is really unlucky to miss out after a fantastic couple of weeks (Ed & Louis, snap this bloke up) but Mane' retains his spot on the bench. Lloris and Gomes made very basic errors on the weekend resulting in Petr Cech being named as the substitute GK. Despite Anthony Martial's excellent performance on the weekend, Romelu Lukaku has been in excellent form and deserves his promotion to the bench. Scott Dann put in another good performance against Pool and snagged the winner.

upload_2015-11-11_7-40-55.png

Subs: Petr Cech, Toby Aldeweireld, Bacary Sagna, Morgan Schneiderlin, Sadio Mane, Yannick Bolasie, Romelu Lukaku

Stiff: Graziano Pelle, Nathaniel Clyne, Jack Butland, Ross Barkley, Eric Dier, Georgino Wijnaldum, Christian Eriksen, Laurent Koscielny, Manuel Lanzini, Yohann Cabaye, Christian Benteke, Alexis Sanchez, Raheem the Dream, Heurelho Gomes, Anthony Martial, Gerard Deulofeu, Hugo Lloris, Fernandinho

Manager of the Week: Mauricio Pochettino - Has transformed Spurs this season. They finally have some ticker and played Arsenal off the pitch for 70 minutes on the weekend. Looking likely at this stage for a top 4 place if Leicester slip up. Pardiola unlucky, but winning against Pool is his bread and butter.

Tool of the Week: Heurelho Gomes - You flog......so Spursy. Made me have to listen to more Vardy goo this week and we now have Leicester fans talking up No Goal Campaigner. Oliver Giroud was unlucky to miss out on this one. Does this bloke ever score when it matters?

Stolen from Matthew Lloyd's segment on the Sunday Footy Show, I thought it'd be fun to start a team of the season thread that is updated on a weekly basis. This is not a team of the week but players can break into the team of the season based on performance over the entire season with a weighting given to their last performance. I have tried to fit players into their natural position as much as possible. Up to Matchday 30, if a player is injured for a significant amount of time, they will be unlikely to retain their spot.

Below is the team thus far:

View attachment 184854

Bench: Jack Butland, Toby Alderweireld, Morgan Schneiderlin, David Silva, Yannick Bolasie, Sadio Mane', Anthony Martial

On the precipice: Andre Ayew, Kevin De Bruyne, Nathaniel Clyne, Petr Cech, Vincent Kompany, Juan Mata, Romelu Lukaku, Ross Barkley

Edit: elhadjihenry is spot on. Butland deserves to be involved. Bye Gomes.

Let the debate begin.
Post Matchday 9 Team:
View attachment 185881

Bench: Jack Butland, Toby Aldeweireld, Nathaniel Clyne, Morgan Schneiderlin, Raheem the Dream Sterling, David Silva, Anthony Martial

Stiff: Sadio Mane, Yannick Bolasie, Heurelho Gomes, Ross Barkley, Andre' Ayew, Alexis Sanchez, Eric Dier, Georgino Wijnaldum, Christian Eriksen, Laurent Koscielny

Note: This will be Aguero's last week in the team due to injury. I am unwilling to change formation (Hi Garth Crooks) so it will be a straight swap for another striker.

Post your grievances below :D
Post Matchday 10 teams. A few controversial selections in here but Brunt has had a great season so far and i've always rated him as a player. Azpi had a poor game on the weekend and with Chelsea going into meltdown mode, it's time for his run in the team to end.

View attachment 188453

Subs: Heurelho Gomes, Toby Aldeweireld, Bacary Sagna, Morgan Schneiderlin, Raheem the Dream, David Silva, Alexis Sanchez

Stiff: Sadio Mane, Nathaniel Clyne, Yannick Bolasie, Petr Cech, Joe Hart, Ross Barkley, Andre' Ayew, Eric Dier, Georgino Wijnaldum, Christian Eriksen, Laurent Koscielny, Manuel Lanzini, Christian Benteke.

Butland had an absolute mare on the w/e and has been dropped. Cech and Hart are next in line after Gomes. Hart in particular had a very good game against United. Benteke needs to string a few more games together and keep scoring to get a spot on the bench but he's doing well. Ross Barkley had another good game on the w/e but he's going to have to produce something special to get an AM spot over Snake, Silva and Sanchez. Clyne has been good for Pool but Sagna has been playing above average for some time and deserves his place on the bench.

Manager of the Week: Quique Sanchez Flores - Watford played brilliantly against Stoke and should have won by more. After being written off at the start of the season by all and sundry (except me), they find themselves in 13th position, 7 points clear of the relegation zone and playing attractive football. Slaven Bilic was considered given West Ham's great start to the season, but they are expected to be beating relegation battlers at home.

Tool of the Week: Nemanja Matic - It was always going to take something special to take this award away from Rooney with Branislol not getting a a game, but Nemanja Matic was fully deserving of his sending off for 2 professional fouls and his actions resulted in a Jon Obi Mikel sighting :$. What made the red card particularly stupid is that Chelsea were in little danger in both situations and both fouls were totally unnecessary. Micah Richards and Jack Butland stiff.
Post Matchday 11 teams. Chris Brunt followed up his excellent start to the season with an absolute stinker so he's dropped. Despite continuing his excellent form, Martial's good work is going unrewarded due to Wayne Rooney's transformation into a potato. Ighalo has knocked the door down and partners Vardy with Martial dropping to the bench. David Silva's prolonged absence from the team has resulted in him being ommitted and replaced on the bench by Yannick Bolasie. Joe Hart's blunder puts him down the pecking order with Jack Butland's worldly performance against Newcastle putting him back in contention.

View attachment 190139

Subs: Heurelho Gomes, Toby Aldeweireld, Bacary Sagna, Morgan Schneiderlin, Sadio Mane, Yannick Bolasie, Anthony Martial

Stiff: Graziano Pelle, Nathaniel Clyne, Petr Cech, Jack Butland, Ross Barkley, Andre' Ayew, Eric Dier, Georgino Wijnaldum, Christian Eriksen, Laurent Koscielny, Manuel Lanzini, Yohann Cabaye, Christian Benteke, Alexis Sanchez, Raheem the Dream, Romelu Lukaku

Manager of the Week: Quique Sanchez Flores - Rinse and repeat from last week. If you haven't seen Watford play yet, you're missing out.

Tool of the Week: Andy Carroll- LOL. Not sure how Bilic puts up with this flog. Completely butchered a defensive clearance before taking on Ake beside his own 6 yard box. Ake wins the ball and crosses for the Ighalo opener. Follows this up by spraying a golden chance wide, almost gave away a pen for handball then produced a massive dive that left Ander Herrera blushing. Mark Clattenburg, James Collins and Bafetimbi Gomis stiff.

Spurs fans, i'm going to be pretty busy this week and won't have time until Thursday to watch the Spurs game. Once I've seen it i'll update the side if Lloris et al have been good enough.

Last edited:
Haha Bolasie. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team of the season, unless it's the bottom team. He's one of the worst and, ridiculously, overrated footballers in the premiership. Everyone goes on and on about how he scares defenders and he's a good dribbler, but he's contributed a massive 2 goals and 0 assists this season despite being a 'threat.'

Take a comparison in the Premier League this season with Erik Lamela for example, a player who is widely, and incorrectly, derided as a flop and probably wouldn't be considered near this team of the season:

Pass Completion - Lamela: 83%, Bolasie: 74%
Key Passes - Lamela: 23, Bolasie: 5 (LOL!)
Assists - Lamela: 3, Bolasie: 0
Chances Created - Lamela: 26, Bolasie: 5 (LOL!)
Goals - Lamela: 2, Bolasie: 2
And although everyone says Bolasie is a good dribbler and Lamela always loses the ball, Lamela actually has a higher successful take on %. And this doesn't even take in their defensive contributions.

Now, I'm not suggesting that Lamela should be in the team of the season, because he shouldn't - although he's been outstanding for us - but it is a great example of how completely rubbish and overrated Bolasie is. If Lamela is nowhere near the Team of the Season then Bolasie should be a million times further away and the fact he could even be considered close to the best 11 players this season is insane.

Take a comparison in the Premier League this season with Erik Lamela for example, a player who is widely, and incorrectly, derided as a flop and probably wouldn't be considered near this team of the season:

"For example".

Let's be honest, the whole purpose of that post was to big up Lamela (which is completely fine but at least be honest about it).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back