Rumour Bomber Thompson to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I still can't believe Hirdy is actually going back as Senior Coach. If anything, if Essendon don't make finals next year, Hirdy will be dumped and Bomber will be brought back at Senior Coach in his place. Contingency plan. Worthwhile, I'd say.

Not sure why any team, Essendon included, would have Bomber in ANY position other than Senior Coach. Geelong thoroughly reviewed him and came to the conclusion that he is a brilliant Senior Coach but shouldn't have his paws on any other role.

His time as Ess mentor(whatever he was doing) to Hird reconfirmed this.

Bomber is nuts, but a brilliant Senior Coach. That is all.

Put him in other positions in your Football Club at your peril.

I think Gold Coast should go HARD for Bomber, ala Freo with Rossy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why any team, Essendon included, would have Bomber in ANY position other than Senior Coach. Geelong thoroughly reviewed him and came to the conclusion that he is a brilliant Senior Coach but shouldn't have his paws on any other role.

His time as Ess mentor(whatever he was doing) to Hird reconfirmed this.

Bomber is nuts, but a brilliant Senior Coach. That is all.

Put him in other positions in your Football Club at your peril.

I think Gold Coast should go HARD for Bomber, ala Freo with Rossy.

Please explain why you and others believe this and please give examples, as i will.

I'm not saying Bomber isn't a decent coach but i have yet to see anything definitive why he is so brilliant or as one cat supporter put it, who was too gutless to back up his assertion when challenged, a "tactical genius".

Since he left Geelong they have hardly missed a beat and won a premiership while retiring champions and adding youth and they are still highly competitive with a rookie coach.
He lost more games this year than Hird did last year and had the benefit of Chapman as well as younger players with more experience and a very handy type in Merrett.

Please don't use "he built the Geelong list" as the reason he is so brilliant as that is not all his doing and he only played a minor part in that.

So what are you basing your assertion on?

Please explain why you and others believe this and please give examples, as i will.

I'm not saying Bomber isn't a decent coach but i have yet to see anything definitive why he is so brilliant or as one cat supporter put it, who was too gutless to back up his assertion when challenged, a "tactical genius".

Since he left Geelong they have hardly missed a beat and won a premiership while retiring champions and adding youth and they are still highly competitive with a rookie coach.
He lost more games this year than Hird did last year and had the benefit of Chapman as well as younger players with more experience and a very handy type in Merrett.

Please don't use "he built the Geelong list" as the reason he is so brilliant as that is not all his doing and he only played a minor part in that.

Agreed. Thompson isn't very good. Makes you wonder why Hird insisted on bringing him to Essendon back in 2010, and why the Bombers were/are paying him an absolute fortune.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Bomber as a Senior Coach.

However, the point i am most intrigued by is why ANY Club would want him in any OTHER role than the Senior Coach.

He has abysmally failed at Geelong and Essendon when he ventures into peripheral territory.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Bomber as a Senior Coach.

However, the point i am most intrigued by is why ANY Club would want him in any OTHER role than the Senior Coach.

He has abysmally failed at Geelong and Essendon when he ventures into peripheral territory.

Once again people make statements, yet refuse to back them up.

Surely your opinion is based on something, not just plucked from thin air or just what is "common thought"

Right. So Essendon shelled out a fortune for a "decent" coach, and Hird wouldn't take the role without him.

Thompson: Twice a premiership coach, built one of the greatest ever teams.

Hird: Copped a ten goal hiding against Carlton in his only turnout.

Essendon is the only club in the league who would go for Hird.

Last edited:

Also didn't have the benefit of Watson for much of the year, and Fletcher dropped off considerably this year compared to last. You made the finals with a young and patched up forward line for much of the year. The move of Hurley back and Carlisle forward is probalby viewed as a success overall. Also the move of Winderlich back, then forward when needed added class and run from defence.

Several players had their best years, including Ryder, Heppell, Hooker, and Hurley

He's missed the finals only 4 times in his 11yr senior coaching career, which involved building and developing one of the best lists seen in the game. Has won 2 premierships, from 3 grand finals, and also has 2 other prelims to his name. So in other words, out of the 5 finals series hes been in, he's made it too the last or second last match. This is the first time since his initial foray into finals he's been knocked out first week.

I'd say, as coaches go, he'd be one of the best going around at the moment, and certainly the best available coach by the length of the flemington straight

Also didn't have the benefit of Watson for much of the year, and Fletcher dropped off considerably this year compared to last. You made the finals with a young and patched up forward line for much of the year. The move of Hurley back and Carlisle forward is probalby viewed as a success overall. Also the move of Winderlich back, then forward when needed added class and run from defence.

Several players had their best years, including Ryder, Heppell, Hooker, and Hurley

He's missed the finals only 4 times in his 11yr senior coaching career, which involved building and developing one of the best lists seen in the game. Has won 2 premierships, from 3 grand finals, and also has 2 other prelims to his name. So in other words, out of the 5 finals series hes been in, he's made it too the last or second last match. This is the first time since his initial foray into finals he's been knocked out first week.

I'd say, as coaches go, he'd be one of the best going around at the moment, and certainly the best available coach by the length of the flemington straight

Finally someone who is prepared to back up their opinion with something tangible.

Please note once again i am not saying Thompson isn't a good coach but my responses are to those that say he is "brilliant and a "tactical genius" etc etc.

I disagree that the Carlisle move was a success although i will concede that it may have laid the groundwork for a success in the future. Winderlich back was a good move but Winderlich has always been a good player, he's just always injured. Ryder i agree, Heppell was fantastic last year but he did step up this year in Watsons absence but he's a young player, they generally get better each year and Hooker was also very good last year.

You mention about this list he built at Geelong, he didn't build it at all, he had a small input, like all senior coaches now, and the recruitment team and the list manager are the main ones that put it together. Sure he taught them how to play, along with McCartney who is accredited as being one of the best teaches in the game but since he left, they haven't missed a beat with a rookie coach, while retiring champions and bringing in plenty of youth. Imo Geelong were as good as they were because they had more good players than anyone else.

I just don't buy the hype as i've seen little with my own eyes that make him brilliant or a tactical genius...

Finally someone who is prepared to back up their opinion with something tangible.

Please note once again i am not saying Thompson isn't a good coach but my responses are to those that say he is "brilliant and a "tactical genius" etc etc.

I disagree that the Carlisle move was a success although i will concede that it may have laid the groundwork for a success in the future. Winderlich back was a good move but Winderlich has always been a good player, he's just always injured. Ryder i agree, Heppell was fantastic last year but he did step up this year in Watsons absence but he's a young player, they generally get better each year and Hooker was also very good last year.

You mention about this list he built at Geelong, he didn't build it at all, he had a small input, like all senior coaches now, and the recruitment team and the list manager are the main ones that put it together. Sure he taught them how to play, along with McCartney who is accredited as being one of the best teaches in the game but since he left, they haven't missed a beat with a rookie coach, while retiring champions and bringing in plenty of youth. Imo Geelong were as good as they were because they had more good players than anyone else.

I just don't buy the hype as i've seen little with my own eyes that make him brilliant or a tactical genius...

Yeah, true the coach probably didn't have all the say in building the list, but he has overseen their development into absolute guns. Remember, not all really talented players make it.

He played an attacking style, even in a time when everyone else was going defensive, whilst still not neglecting the defensive side of the game.

And in regards to Geelong, they haven't missed a beat, that's true. But Hawthorn never missed a beat when Clarko was absent (granted a lot smaller sample size). They always say, the sign of a good manager is that the place can run without you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back