Rumour Bomber Thompson to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely interesting.

Im not sure why the GC executive chose a novice coach in the first place. With a team mostly full of young kids i would have thought a coach with great experience in developing players was called for. Not a new coach in his first gig.

I think it became obvious that Bluey had issues when he failed to regroup his team after Ablett was injured. It wasnt as if Bluey wasnt aware he had issues with his side when GAJ was absent. They lost almost every time he was gone. I wasnt just the losses, it was the way they lost.

Bluey had a simple task over a few years, time and again; Find a way to get his team to fire when GAJ wasnt available. He failed time after time, with plenty of opportunities and time to consider it over the years. Yet he never could get them up.

The crunch came when GAJ did his shoulder and Blueys response proved he was pathetic at motivating confused players. All the Pieces Bluey knew from experience that they were going to fall apart, fell apart at his feet. He could do nothing about it. In fact, the first game without GAJ, when he should have had his best contingency plans, when he must have used his most focused conscious and subconscious psychological motivational tactics to counter the loss of GAJ, it was his worst coaching performance, and the teams worst ever performance. It was insipid, pathetic, weak, gutless performance by players and coach.

Bluey is not a motivational coach. He cant switch players on. He is a proven failure at sports psychology. If he cant do that, he is no good in September, ever. He is no good to a side under pressure and asking questions of themselves. He failed in the continued tests he was given to get the side to play without their leader. Year after year Bluey failed to get the team in the correct frame of mind when GAJ wasn't there. It is but one small example of what the future holds when Bluey is confronted with critical moments in a game where he needs to get his players thinking right. He cant. Not under pressure, not in critical situations, and not even when given time, and the same task.

On the other hand Bolton, when thrown in the deep end. A time when the players should and would have been confused, emotional, and in need of some positive psychological reinforcement, Bolton was challenged ....and won every game.

Bluey isnt the man to lead a successful franchise in perhaps the hardest playground for sporting teams in Australia. Blueys failure, the teams failure emptied seats at Metricon when they should have been full at seasons end. Dont blame Abletts shoulder. An astute coach would have steered them through. We wont always have GAJ on field, thats why we need a coach who can coach without GAJ on the field. Bluey cant do it.

On the other hand Bolton, when thrown in the deep end. A time when the players should and would have been confused, emotional, and in need of some positive psychological reinforcement, Bolton was challenged ....and won every game.
Let's be honest, an upsidedown turtle could have won those 5 games as senior coach.

This comparison is completely unfair. I'm not saying McKenna is a good or bad coach as i have no idea but that example is flawed.

Bolton got to take over the reigning premier for 5 weeks. They are a team that prolly me and you could have coached to 5 wins and he was already in the system. He just pushed the auto pilot button and the systems the Hawks have in place just took over. He might be a good coach but he didn't prove very much in his 5 weeks in charge of the auto pilot Hawks.

This comparison is completely unfair. I'm not saying McKenna is a good or bad coach as i have no idea but that example is flawed.

Bolton got to take over the reigning premier for 5 weeks. They are a team that prolly me and you could have coached to 5 wins and he was already in the system. He just pushed the auto pilot button and the systems the Hawks have in place just took over. He might be a good coach but he didn't prove very much in his 5 weeks in charge of the auto pilot Hawks.
Yeah, good sides never get beaten.

Close thread now?

I do certainly feel there is something fishy in the fact that Bomber has not denied any of these rumours. It is well and truly going around the traps.

Rumour has been basically quashed by Bomba himself where he has stated "hopes to be at Essendon and will announce something by the end of the week".

Sounds to me they are just finishing off the design of his actual role (the old finishing touches) and then it'll be sweet.

That doesn't sound convincing at all to me. Why does he 'hope' if he has decided he is staying?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't sound convincing at all to me. Why does he 'hope' if he has decided he is staying?

Here is the full quote. This from AFL360 last night.

"It's probably not being assistant coach. I've been there done that and got out of it and I'm not going back," Thompson said on AFL 360 last night

"We've got to work it out...we've started the process. We'll go away and think about it."

"There's a few things we've got to fix up. The development stuff is really important, that we just keep bringing players ready to step up and play,"

"Then there's how you get the players there in the first place and it's how you coach the coaches and how to go from the way you want to play, into the way you train and the way you prepare, that sort of thing."

To me that reads not only he's staying, but, just working out the finer points of his role from here on in.

<snip>

To me that reads not only he's staying, but, just working out the finer points of his role from here on in.
That, to me, basically translates to: 'NFI what's happening mate, I'm just sitting here eating sandwiches".

Have all the Essendon supporters forgotten that just 12 months ago Bomber was saying he wasn't interested in senior coaching?

Important things to note: McKenna is still the coach of GC (for now), Bomber is still contracted to Essendon and Gold Coast could be without a senior coach on Thursday. It's a wait and see situation but just because Bomber says he "hopes" to stay at Essendon on Monday doesn't mean he won't want to leave Essendon on Friday morning. Remember this is a guy that suddenly found the passion to coach overnight just a mere 12 months ago.

no gc stuff there i can read into it even if a wanted to. but then im not a paid scribe.....

don't blame GC fans for being keen on Bomber. Not one little bit. He'd be awesome up there. He'd provide premiership winning coaching with Sheedy level ambassadorial and marketing quality, the way he's performed with the media this year.

He would be the perfect package for Gold Coast IMO.

I hope he stays at Essendon, I really do. And I don't particularly want to strengthen a rival team. But it wouldn't break my heart if Bomber decided to continue on as a senior coach. It would be good for footy.

Let's wait and see.

"It's probably not being assistant coach. I've been there done that and got out of it and I'm not going back," Thompson said on AFL 360 last night
So he's not interested in being an assistant.

"We've got to work it out...we've started the process. We'll go away and think about it."
We've started talking, we've got some things to work through, but I also need to think about it.

"There's a few things we've got to fix up. The development stuff is really important, that we just keep bringing players ready to step up and play,"
Wants to develop players.

"Then there's how you get the players there in the first place and it's how you coach the coaches and how to go from the way you want to play, into the way you train and the way you prepare, that sort of thing."
Sounds like he wants to be head of a football department.

I'm with TheJaegerBomb, he's saying a lot without saying it. He could well be angling for a senior gig.

Heisenberg_ seems pretty certain he won't be working with Hird?

Have all the Essendon supporters forgotten that just 12 months ago Bomber was saying he wasn't interested in senior coaching?

Important things to note: McKenna is still the coach of GC (for now), Bomber is still contracted to Essendon and Gold Coast could be without a senior coach on Thursday. It's a wait and see situation but just because Bomber says he "hopes" to stay at Essendon on Monday doesn't mean he won't want to leave Essendon on Friday morning. Remember this is a guy that suddenly found the passion to coach overnight just a mere 12 months ago.

He became our coach because he was asked to, due to our situation, and he did it for his love of the club and a sense of duty, not because he "suddenly found his passion" for the job again.

yeah this was fishy

basically undermined neil craigs job in one hit

What really did you want him to say though, yep i'm of to GC as head coach even though guy has not been sacked yet, guy had review today, he has to present to board thursday where he will be sacked, bomber announced as coach friday. Timeline works well and matches up with GAJ re-signing announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back