Bombers to admit OH&S failure

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon Football Club will plead guilty to two charges of risking its players' health and failing to provide a safe working environment over its supplements program, a court heard on Monday.
In a short hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court, the club's lawyer Garry Livermore said they would enter a formal plea to two charges of breaching the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Court documents released to the media on Monday stated the club's supplement program, between December 2011 to 15 January, 2012 and 15 January to September, 2012, exposed its players to risks to their health and safety and failed to provide a safe working environment.

James Hird, right, as he announces his retirement. Photo: Getty Images
The charge sheets stated that the club failed to comply to the following in order to reduce risk to its players:

• Provide the club doctor with a summary of literature about the supplement that included the scientific and common name, all clinical findings both positive and negative, known or potential side-effects and a statement saying it did not contravene any World Anti-Doping Authority guidelines.
  • The club doctor failed to make a recommendation about the suitability of the substance for the players.
  • The players were not given a letter of informed consent to sign by the club doctor if they were recommended to use the substance.

And there is what jenny61_99 and I have both said about the consent forms. That they were effectively useless and not proper informed consent forms. The stipulation that that club doctor had to be the one to provide the forms to the players is a new bit of information.

With some from within the club trying to sideline Dr Reid, it has brought this all upon itself.

Club doctor does not look too positive in the charges

The charge sheets stated that the club failed to comply to the following in order to reduce risk to its players:

• Provide the club doctor with a summary of literature about the supplement that included the scientific and common name, all clinical findings both positive and negative, known or potential side-effects and a statement saying it did not contravene any World Anti-Doping Authority guidelines.
  • The club doctor failed to make a recommendation about the suitability of the substance for the players.
  • The players were not given a letter of informed consent to sign by the club doctor if they were recommended to use the substance.

Last edited:
Club doctor does not look too positive in the charges

In any place, old Doc Reid would be out the door (yes, I know he's a volunteer etc) today.

But no, not at Bomberland.

Bind moggling.

Actually disagree, to me that first charge is the doctor was sidelined, as such the next two occurred.

So the Doc is relying on the "Hey, I'm so crap at my job I didn't even know what was going on!" defence.

My God. NO wonder they are so shithouse.

So the Doc is relying on the "Hey, I'm so crap at my job I didn't even know what was going on!" defence.

My God. NO wonder they are so shithouse.

Agree he could have been more proactive, don't dispute this. Just not sure where the line is between a proactive doctor and a patients / clubs informing him of what is happening.

How the lickspittle Reid is still at the Club is staggering. It has always been staggering. He makes a mockery of himself and the role of a Doctor by still being there.

Either

A) He was complicit and/or gutless and failed his duties to players and he should have been sacked long ago

or

B) He was deliberately sidelined and made to look a fool and he should have resigned long ago. Yet he stuck around, poodling the people who sidelined him with "United Nations skills".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fine of up to 600,000 odd will be cheaper than pleading not guilty and having the likes of a hall of famer (Dr Reid) in the witness box and be cross examined. That would open up pandora's box of worms. Hal's lawyers would be front row in the public area
You're thinking of worm farms, not Pandora's box.

Carry on

A fine of up to 600,000 odd will be cheaper than pleading not guilty and having the likes of a hall of famer (Dr Reid) in the witness box and be cross examined. That would open up pandora's box of worms. Hal's lawyers would be front row in the public area

Heard this morning that the max fine is $309k.
Will try find link to source.

Agree he could have been more proactive, don't dispute this. Just not sure where the line is between a proactive doctor and a patients / clubs informing him of what is happening.
Could is not the word to use. SHOULD is more appropriate. He knew enough crap was going on that forced him to write a letter... and then promptly never followed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back