Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disag
Apparently because we only like black people if they act they way we tell them.
Disagree, in the majority doubt that is related to just colour of skin.

Have had a bit of experience growing being called a 'daygo' and or 'wog'.

Disag

Disagree, in the majority doubt that is related to just colour of skin.

Have had a bit of experience growing being called a 'daygo' and or 'wog'.

Not quite sure what you're saying but I'm just relaying the reasoning I've seen put forth, it's not my opinion.

One last point before I sign off on this topic. At half time the media described the incident as a 'war dance'. This was their interpretation of it from a non-Aboriginal perspective and they then went on to make the connection to deliberately inciting the crowd. We have since learnt that it it not a war dance, rather more a celebration of Aboriginal culture. Perhaps Goodes was simply expressing his heritage with no intention to cause offence. My point is that we need to be careful not to apply our own meanings to things we have no knowledge of.

I hate the guy.

He dives and he acts plus how he won Australian of the year is a joke. Crawford should have won it but honestly stuff the award, having the respect of fellow Australians is more important and Crawford has it while Goodes doesn't.

Just got home from work and saw the celebration. WTF! What he said is utter crap and he knows it.

Words cant describe my hatred for him.

One last point before I sign off on this topic. At half time the media described the incident as a 'war dance'. This was their interpretation of it from a non-Aboriginal perspective and they then went on to make the connection to deliberately inciting the crowd. We have since learnt that it it not a war dance, rather more a celebration of Aboriginal culture. Perhaps Goodes was simply expressing his heritage with no intention to cause offence. My point is that we need to be careful not to apply our own meanings to things we have no knowledge of.

You usually strike me as an intelligent poster but this is just naive. Body language transcends cultural and ethnic barriers: everyone knows an aggressive movement when they see it. Goodes' "celebration" was a combative motion directed at hostile fans.

Nothing to do with his heritage being so agreessive to the Carlton crowd. Whats he's going to say after the game. I was being a dickhead towards the crowd??

Words cant do it justice, performed a war dance after kicking a goal. Dont worry, will be rerun over and over again on tv.
Caucasian players should start waltzing, tangoing and folk dancing after goals.

Is anyone here who's posted indigenous? It'd be interesting to see your point of view.

Wow.

I am all for bringing up the discussion of the Indigenous roots of Australia, but is this really the best way to go about it?

Much akin to what happened 2 years ago, almost to this day, it's just not appropriate.

Maybe you think any media is good media... well... is it? If you are trying to create a civil discussion with the public, a provocative gesture when racially motivated booing is being debated, is not the right time, nor is a football match the right place either.

I said this before, but Goodes just doesn't have any tact. I honestly think he is doing more harm than good.

Its a combination of him being a former gun but sniping and diving creeping into his game, being a protected species most of the time and sooks to the umpires when it doesn't go his way.

Others think he's a flog kinda like H for speaking out against racism, and he shouldn't have got AOTY.

Gun players get booed from time to time, the media are just making it worse.

Edit: Hawthorn fans also are probably pissed off since he finished them off in a GF on one leg.

Last edited:
If the booing was racially motivated then why aren't Jetta and Franklin copping it?

Because Jetta and Franklin haven't spoken out against racism as much as Goodes.

I have actually had a gutful about this Aboriginal talk.

I will boo a w***er no matter what backround he is from.

The media are a disgrace, they are a dead set joke. Booing is football, you boo someone you don't like but if he black it's racist all of a sudden.

The bloke shamed a little girl. That girl would have loved Brad Dick, Leon Davis and the Aboriginal players we have had. Yes she is probably scummy but who cares, if anything by pointing her out that would have caused her to hate more than she would have.

Tough guy here thought it was his call to point her out and shame her when she didn't say anything racist at all.

Oh and he is also a diver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes was a champion footballer who has played on too long. And in doing so he has damaged his earlier reputation, with his staging for frees, etc. It is a sad way to finish, and highly preferable that it didnt happen.

Re the booing, I suspect there is some racism involved, the sort of racism that is lazy, easy to do, uncritical, unthinking, engaged in by the herd. That would partly explain why it only occurs with him, and not other indigenous players, because it is potentially a reaction to many 'Goodes' related things, and those things derive from him being an outspoken Aboriginal person. He was also made Australian of the Year when - shock horror - a lot of people dont like him. In simple terms, other indigenous players have not 'annoyed' or 'provoked' footy fans in the way he has, and dont get booed.

BTW - I believe Goodes was correct to call out the girl. I am not happy with what transpired, and he may not have intended that fallout. But he was justified in it. People are uncomfortable because of her youth, and fair enough. But racism has to be stopped, and part of that is calling it out.

It's really difficult for me to comment on the off-field stuff, living far away for so long.
In fact, I am loathe to comment at all on a topic that is close to my heart.
However, I am quite comfortable liking VP's post in its entirety.
Thanks Vicky.

I have actually had a gutful about this Aboriginal talk.
I will boo a w***er no matter what backround he is from.
The media are a disgrace, they are a dead set joke. Booing is football, you boo someone you don't like but if he black it's racist all of a sudden.
The bloke shamed a little girl. That girl would have loved Brad Dick, Leon Davis and the Aboriginal players we have had. Yes she is probably scummy but who cares, if anything by pointing her out that would have caused her to hate more than she would have.
Tough guy here thought it was his call to point her out and shame her when she didn't say anything racist at all.
Oh and he is also a diver.
She called him an ape, didn't she?

I wouldn't bother booing him, but I'm not a fan of him. I personally do not like some of his politics. Call it racism if you like, but you would be wrong. Statements such as "Aboriginal people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on" do nothing to move us forward as a nation. Not to mention that they are fundamentally flawed; "being there first" is no more valid a claim to ownership than wielding a much bigger stick when you arrive. That aside, I don't feel it's right that anyone born or even raised in this country who loves it as I do and Goodes does, ought to be told they're living on someone else's land. It is merely perpetuating the racism Goodes would like to extinguish.
Do you own a home? Cos I'd be happy to come over with a big stick and take it from you, see how happy you are to give it up. You'd go crying to the cops and the courts no doubt. That's one of the most ignorant posts I've read here.

Saying this is a difficult and highly charged topic is an understatement.

It would help if we could separate out the issues:

Racism (in football, in Australia, what it looks like, the damage it does).

And

Adam Goodes (footballer, high profile and outspoken indigenous man, controversial actions).

We may not agree on aspects of the latter, but hopefully we all come much closer together on the former.

The cause of fighting racism can be damaged by personalities, personal reactions and preferences.

As Adam just clarified, it was an expression of culture rather than a provocation. If anyone in the crowd is so easily excited to violence they'd be better going to the soccer.
Seen more violent acts at football than soccer over the years.

As Adam just clarified, it was an expression of culture rather than a provocation. If anyone in the crowd is so easily excited to violence they'd be better going to the soccer.

So I guess you're OK if a white player ran 20 yards right up to the opposition cheer squad (white/black/mixed whatever) loading up and pointing an imaginary rifle. Just an "expression of culture", right?

Euphemisms are by definition used to cover up unpleasant facts. The unpleasant fact here is that this was clearly an aggressive act - aggressive body language is aggressive body language, irrespective of "culture".

Had it happened in the NFL there would have been some serious sanctions against the player - no matter what his color or culture.

No doubt it is a provocative gesture. I have to be honest and say I liked it. I want this country to celebrate our Aboriginal heritage. I can understand people feeling uncomfortable about it but I reckon it provides a great point of discussion.
In a divisive way - which is what it is all about, politically. Otherwise the diversity industry would lose its tax-payer funding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back