Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not convinced that everyone booing Adam Goodes is a racist, but I do think it's gone a bit far and it needs to stop. It's obviously impacting on his mental health and I really feel for the guy because it would be a tough thing to go through. It's a s**t house look for the game and Australia as a whole also.

I'll be extremely disappointed if the Collingwood supporters boo him.

I would not Boo Goodes as Just a Waste of Time and more Important things to follow at the Footy then Booing Someone for the Reasons for Goodes Booing
Well said Dave! Just watch the bloody footy.

Prove to me that they are booing because of color.
That's the problem here.
There is a large number of indigenous players in our great game. But only one is being booed on a consistent basis.
Why?
Because he's black? Then why are these "racist" booers not venting on Rioli? Or the many players at all clubs.
This is deeper than skin. It's about the man. But the media don't like that story so go with the easiest and most clickable headlines.
I would like the AFL to eject a patron for booing on the grounds of racism. The lawyers would have a field day. As they should.
At the moment it appears that our media commentators, and our AFL administrators have mastered the dark art of mind reading. How else can we explain their 100% conviction that the patrons booing are doing it as an act of racism.

Do you really think colour has absolutely nothing to do with booing?

That doesn't wash. Ballantyne gets booed. Buckley & Carey got booed because people thought they were flogs. Brereton got booed because he was a flog and a thug. Long didn't get booed for his stance. I don't recall Winmar getting booed for his stance, in fact he is lauded for it, but I do recall Chris Lewis getting booed because he was a sniper and a biter.

The racism argument is largely a cop out. I do think there is some racist element in it for some people but falling back on that is agenda driven and ignores broader personality dislikes.

Er no, it does wash. Just because some players get booed for other reasons doesn't mean that Goodes isn't being bood for racist reasons. People booed Carey coz he cheated with another player's wife, Buckley because they thought he was arrogant, and Goodes because he's an outspoken indigenous man proud of his heritage. I think you're actually copping out by trying to wriggle around it.

Adam Goodes: Footy has become a redneck wonderland

Francis Leach

The gutless drongos who boo Adam Goodes should have the courage to admit they're a bunch of ugly racists.

What a redneck wonderland footy has become.

Every weekend, somewhere in Australia, Adam Goodes steps out onto a footy field.

Simultaneously, an army of gutless drongos get ready to express their contempt for him, hiding anonymously in the choir of clowns who boo his every step.

Hey, bigots, don't get me wrong.

I defend your right to express your unfathomable sense of outrage and injustice. It must burn long and deep. Probably over the spiralling price of a pie at the footy or the quality of the rubbish beer your force yourself to drink whilst acting like obnoxious school kids.

Your worries and concerns must weigh heavily on your poor benighted souls. So knock yourselves out. Boo away. At least have the courage though to admit what it is.

Racism.

Naked, loud, contemptible, pathetic and unashamed.

None of this crap about Goodes staging for free kicks, being a "sniper" or sweet talking the umpires is the reason for the booing.

Don't use football as shield for your prejudice.

Adam Goodes has made it quite clear he hears those boos as a statement on his race and culture.

Blokes like Goodes tend to have a finely tuned radar for racism. When you have been living with it all your life you learn to speak it's many ugly languages.

So when he tells you what it means to him and you choose to boo, you're confirming to him and every other indigenous footballer what you're really about.

What you don't like and can't abide is that Adam Goodes won't be the Aboriginal footballer you want him to be.

He refuses to simply be the smiling face of AFL Indigenous Round where the game's self congratulation goes into over drive and Aboriginal people are celebrated in a set of proscribed rituals that say nothing about the true state of affairs and everything about our need to be absolved from responsibility.

A smoking ceremony here. A ceremonial dance there. A welcome to country and then goodbye, onto the next costume party.

No, Goodes wants to look you in the eye and talk about who we really are and where we're really at. Goodes wants to confront racism and its uncomfortable truths. In the stands you sit in, the mines you work in, the boardrooms you meet in, the homes you live in.

He won't simply be the Aboriginal man you want him to be.

And with your symphony of boos you've made it quite clear where you stand.

The fact that you fuel your own sense of outrage at Goodes and Lewis Jetta's "war dance" shows how feeble minded and self righteous you are.

Where's your sense of outrage at the appalling gap in life expectancy for indigenous people?

The massive over representation of indigenous people in jail?

The continuing scourge of deaths in custody?

Your silence is deafening on those issues. Your outrage reserved for a man who dances on the footy field.

And whilst you're booing ever louder and ever longer you can try drown out the truth of these things.

You can't. And you won't.

Because Adam Goodes' legacy will endure long after your hollow howls ring out.

And that must hurt the most.

Francis Leach is an ABC sports commentator. This article was originally published on this blog at http://www.francisleach.com Twitter: @SaintFrankly

I've read some rubbish on here but i reckon that would go close to the top of the pile.

What a load of tripe that article is.

You wanna know why there are massive representation of aboriginals in jail cause they broke the forking law and got caught.
To suggest they are being locked up for being black is mental s**t or linking it to racism is a joke.

Custody deaths by a rogue coppers is sad but let me tell you Ive seen cops flog young "white" teens not even resisting arrest laying flat on the ground. Hit another with a car to knock him over and stop him running. Police brutality is not a problem for indigenous peoples alone.
The other factor is yes there are a small minority of people who are racist but this applies not only to whites but all races have them types seated in hatred.

Er no, it does wash. Just because some players get booed for other reasons doesn't mean that Goodes isn't being bood for racist reasons. People booed Carey coz he cheated with another player's wife, Buckley because they thought he was arrogant, and Goodes because he's an outspoken indigenous man proud of his heritage. I think you're actually copping out by trying to wriggle around it.

I can't believe you people actually believe the s**t you type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've read some rubbish on here but i reckon that would go close to the top of the pile.

What a load of tripe that article is.

You wanna know why there are massive representation of aboriginals in jail cause they broke the forking law and got caught.
To suggest they are being locked up for being black is mental s**t or linking it to racism is a joke.

Custody deaths by a rogue coppers is sad but let me tell you Ive seen cops flog young "white" teens not even resisting arrest laying flat on the ground. Hit another with a car to knock him over and stop him running. Police brutality is not a problem for indigenous peoples alone.
The other factor is yes there are a small minority of people who are racist but this applies not only to whites but all races have them types seated in hatred.

Wow...the world really is black and white for you isn't it?

Why are we calling it "Goodes' little dance"? It was a passionate cultural celebration, it is so condescending to label it that way.
He basically downplayed it as something akin to a "little dance" when he said the U16 Boomerang squad taught it to him, and he thought it would be cool and they'd enjoy it. You're the one turning it into the Nutcracker Suite.

The measured response to general crowd booing would be something like this;
Ear.gif

...but unfortunately he won't get his time over and now he's got to play the long game rather than rise above it from the get-go.

Do you really think colour has absolutely nothing to do with booing?
Yes.
Or if it does the percentage is so low that it is not worthy of 55 BF pages.
I find most real racists are more than happy to verbalise their feelings with words, not boos.
These people are more than likely a bit tanked when these inner thoughts surface. They are generally not capable, in this state, to keep their thoughts to themselves.
The AFL have grossly overestimated what is actually happening here. Instead of counselling their players, white black catholic Muslim, to keep politics off the ground, they have encouraged some players to use their brand to further their political ambitions.
The AFL may see the poor crowds of 2015 shrink even further if the insist on using their mind reading skills to accuse their patrons of rascism.

Now, another issue. When Jetta finished his war dance, did he then use his arms to convey the universal F.U. Gesture towards the crowd?
Can anyone confirm if the same action was used by Goodes?
If he didn't use it in the original dance, then why isn't that worse than a player giving the crowd the finger?
And we know players have been fined for the finger.
The AFL must act.

Ive been sick of Goodes' self righteous attitude for a long time now but seeing others not only validate him but label the masses as racist for booing him is atrocious grandstanding.
I think Pridham's quote was "if you boo Adam Goode's Ive got bad news for you, you're a racist"
Sorry but that's complete and utter tripe.
Goodes gets booed as he's more than happy to snipe and resort to low tactics on the field now that age is catching up to him. He's a walk up starter for the 2015 All-Australian wank-off squad and people boo him for all manner of reasons. If he can't handle it then its time to hang up the boots.
Akermanis got booed. Hall got booed. FFS some of the things I heard opposition supporters scream at Bucks makes me sick even now. It's a sporting arena, people go there for the release.
If part of that includes booing then big deal. Bloke needs to grow a thicker skin. I pity him if follows the path many believe he will into politics. If being booed by opposition supporters upsets his delicate sensibilities then he won't last a week in politics.

Yes.
Or if it does the percentage is so low that it is not worthy of 55 BF pages.
I find most real racists are more than happy to verbalise their feelings with words, not boos.
These people are more than likely a bit tanked when these inner thoughts surface. They are generally not capable, in this state, to keep their thoughts to themselves.
The AFL have grossly overestimated what is actually happening here. Instead of counselling their players, white black catholic Muslim, to keep politics off the ground, they have encouraged some players to use their brand to further their political ambitions.
The AFL may see the poor crowds of 2015 shrink even further if the insist on using their mind reading skills to accuse their patrons of rascism.

Now, another issue. When Jetta finished his war dance, did he then use his arms to convey the universal F.U. Gesture towards the crowd?
Can anyone confirm if the same action was used by Goodes?
If he didn't use it in the original dance, then why isn't that worse than a player giving the crowd the finger?
And we know players have been fined for the finger.
The AFL must act.

Surely Jetta can be forgiven for showing a bit of passion?

Did he regret it the next day making her write a letter and phone call to him to apologise. Then we heard the whole ape is racism tirade from him.

Yeah, well, once the ball was rolling, he was always going to take a stand. What was he going to say? "It's OK to be racist if you're 13"? He said he regretted that she got targetted when she was so young and made clear that she wasn't a bad person.

He wasn't just pointing because he was personally offended: he was trying to highlight and stamp out an issue that younger and less confident indigenous players and fans might be affected by and wouldn't have the confidence to deal with. I ain't gonna condemn him for that, it's not like I've had to experience a lifetime of insults from most of the people around me just for being from a different background.

I've changed my mind on this and I think the booing has to stop.

I'm now over feeling like I'm in a first year Arts tutorial and that I've stopped my daughter from going the prom.

As I said previously the booing should stop but it is not due to racism but the fact no one should be relentlessly booed by 40k people for 17 weeks.
Mentally breaking them down on the way ditto for Watson etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back