Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to Ed and the team discuss Goode's 'war dance', it seems that we as non-Aboriginal Australians are happy for Aboriginal people to exhibit their heritage providing it falls within our comfort zone. Well guess what? Many Aboriginal people are angry that nothing has changed. Adams Goodes is showing that anger on a national stage and I for one support him.

Wrong thing to choose to do, should of done this one

I don't understand why this is cringe worthy. The man demonstrated pride in his heritage in the face of ignorant Carlton supporters. I loved it.

Not sure if it was or wasn't the right thing to do. Up to Adam to decide I guess. Inciting the crowd is condemned elsewhere however, and for good reason.

Not sure if it was or wasn't the right thing to do. Up to Adam to decide I guess. Inciting the crowd is condemned elsewhere however, and for good reason.

I reckon the inciting the crowd thing is a cop out. Do The All Blacks incite the crowd?

It really disappoints me that he carries on like such a dick head because he is one of the most gifted, versatile, durable champions of our time and he is just an amazing footballer. I truly admire his intentions to put racism on the agenda. It's such a shame that his message is diluted by the self-centred carry-on and he will never be afforded the respect he probably deserves. It's just so hard to like him.

See there's a bit more nuanced thought in that, which I find is lacking with the more fervent 'don't boo Goodes ' crowd. Believe it or not some people may even think he is one of the all time tools onfield, but presents as a positive, respectable, important person off it.

Heaven forbid we should think about things in a measured, thoughtful way, hey? ;)

The Mark Robinsons of the world see it in terms of headlines and "right and wrong". Life is not a superhero comic, Robbo.

Based on what Goodes did tonight though, it looks like he's had a gutful.

It looked like a team-mate had words to him at half time, and his demeanour was 'cringe cringe cringe'.

I actually feel sorry for Goodes, stupid thing to do and people will really start to question 'Australian of the year'. The sad thing is that there's a lot of red-necks in that category and Goodes gave them ammo.

It looked like a team-mate had words to him at half time, and his demeanour was 'cringe cringe cringe'.

I actually feel sorry for Goodes, stupid thing to do and people will really start to question 'Australian of the year'. The sad thing is that there's a lot of red-necks in that category and Goodes gave them ammo.

F*ck the red necks.

I reckon the inciting the crowd thing is a cop out. Do The All Blacks incite the crowd?

Come off it JM. If any other player ran towards opposition supporters in such an aggressive way and pretended to spear them, how do you think the crowd and media would react?

I don't care if he does it, but the hypocrisy kills me.

Come off it JM. If any other player ran towards opposition supporters in such an aggressive way and pretended to spear them, how do you think the crowd and media would react?

Players hav been fined for giving the finger. Be very interesting to see what happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Ed and the team discuss Goode's 'war dance', it seems that we as non-Aboriginal Australians are happy for Aboriginal people to exhibit their heritage providing it falls within our comfort zone. Well guess what? Many Aboriginal people are angry that nothing has changed. Adams Goodes is showing that anger on a national stage and I for one support him.

Give it a ******* rest bud

No doubt it is a provocative gesture. I have to be honest and say I liked it. I want this country to celebrate our Aboriginal heritage. I can understand people feeling uncomfortable about it but I reckon it provides a great point of discussion.

F*ck the red necks.
Damn straight, with all the crap he's had to put up with over the years, a war dance is hardly worth worrying about. I'm pretty sure if I was racially abused I'd like to think that I could at least express my displeasure in such a way without being looked down upon

I hate Carlton with passion but what Goodes did there demonstrates why everyone is booing him at the moment.

It's got nothing to do with his Indigenous background and everything to do with his personality and general attitude. He's a self-centered and attention-seeking moron who thinks he's above everyone else.

I admire any Indigenous footballer that makes it in this industry but Adam isn't doing himself any favours carrying on like that.

So what exactly do you want people to do? Perhaps when people booed Buckley there were some who had more sinister motives-his pale skin, boarding school education, desertion of the Bears.......Next time some booing starts I will scan the people around me and denounce anyone I suspect has suspect motivations behind their boo.

I don't want you to do anything really. You're a free thinking individual. Boo away if you like. It's part of the fun footy. I boo Judd ... Because it's fun and he's one of a string of failed Blue Messiahs.

I'm just saying that the question "is the booing racist or not?" misses the point, which is that things are complicated. Group think can play a part in it. Some might think they can get under the skin of the opppsition (and they were right tonight!).

Some people are racist and will prey upon the more innocent jeers of others to vent their bile.

What each person then does with that knowledge is up to them.

s**t be complicated and I get sick of Robbo -style oversimplification. :)

I assume it's because he's a s**t bloke and absolutely nothing to do with race. I'd also say that to his face if I ever got the chance.

Ask Barry Hall for his thoughts on Goodes it'll paint a different picture to the "Australian of the year".

Oh and I don't boo players I find that weird.
Do you have a link to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back