BOOO-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considerably more people were cheering (everyone in the crowd cheers when something good happens) = being able to hear it on TV. People don't seem to realise that the the whole of the stadium weren't booing (especially at the start), was definitely a noticeably portion at the game though, which got louder towards the end. Not a coincidence that Goodes was the player singled out for apparently not getting one free kick paid against him when there were 18 free kicks awarded to Sydney throughout the game... And that he happens to be the only player singled out from crowds all around the country...

Yeah but - he probably gets that treatment all around the country because he is quite simply a flog. I mean to say that personally when I see the guy I just think "Flog" and thats about it.

And when I say "out of the ordinary" I mean when the crowd are actually getting involved rather than sitting in silence doing their needle point and knitting.

Haha I believe the knitting supplies stall outside the stadium was sold out a little earlier than usual, maybe everything isn't as it seems.

Fair enough. Crowd reaction is different in different areas. I know there was a couple of throws from Sydney players right in front of us where we yelled lately (and booed) that would have been missed by most of the crowd and the umpires because they couldn't see it.
Totally agreed, hard to deny by the end it wasn't widespread though.

Yeah but - he probably gets that treatment all around the country because he is quite simply a flog. I mean to say that personally when I see the guy I just think "Flog" and thats about it.
No denying people think that, can't tell people who they like /don't like. It's just when people say he is a flog for standing up for indigenous people (which is clearly a large portion of people) that I have an issue with.

No denying people think that, can't tell people who they like /don't like. It's just when people say he is a flog for standing up for indigenous people (which is clearly a large portion of people) that I have an issue with.

Indeed - and it is hard to know the minds of any one but your own. From where I sit I am of the opinion that for many it his on field actions they rail against.

Indeed - and it is hard to know the minds of any one but your own. From where I sit I am of the opinion that for many it his on field actions they rail against.
No worries, I just think a cursory glance at this thread / any comment thread on the issue (especially a facebook one...) should leave you with no doubt that it is in a large part related to his off field stance (judging by the endless references to AOTY, invasion day, war dance, pointing out the girl who racially vilified him etc.). You might be looking in different places to me but there is an overwhelmingly lack of any reference to his actual on field acts to convince me that this the main motivation (not saying that it isn't a part of it). If that is your view, fair enough! But don't give the others any encouragement for their actions.

I think it is very hard to pin down these groups of people and suggest that the same plonkers that where booing the guy or the umps or the general gameplay are the same ones in the media, on facebook or in these very forums that may be racially motivated. Not saying there is no overlap - just that it would be hard to know the overlap.

I think it is very hard to pin down these groups of people and suggest that the same plonkers that where booing the guy or the umps or the general gameplay are the same ones in the media, on facebook or in these very forums that may be racially motivated. Not saying there is no overlap - just that it would be hard to know the overlap.
You totally lost me there, Goodes has been booed by a couple of hundred thousand people this past year. Unless these guys don't have facebook / bigfooty I'd say the overlap is pretty significant. The people who have booed are also the most vocal in their defense.

Where did you get that figure from.
He's been booed for over a year by supporters from all clubs. By the end of yesterday's match (just one of them), at least half the crowd (20,000 people) were joining in. Obviously that figure is in no way accurate but my point was a significant number of people have booed.

The PC brigade are taking some massive liberties with their opinions and extrapolation of the Booing to suit their agenda. It's apparently ok to offend non indigenous people now.

The amount of Booing is also being exaggerated. While it was quite audible the fact is the majority of people were not Booing.

So a significant number of supporters at every club are racists that post here and on facebook?
Racists? No. Casual racism? Most certainly yes.

"Some associate racism with a belief in racial superiority or deliberate acts of discrimination. Casual racism concerns not so much a belief in the superiority of races but negative prejudice or stereotypes concerning race.

Unlike overt and intentional acts of racism, casual racism isn’t often intended to cause offence or harm.

One of the obstacles to having an open conversation about race is the tendency to downplay things as not “truly” or “really” racist. This can embolden or encourage prejudice.

You don’t need to subscribe to doctrines of racial superiority or incite racial violence to say or do something with racist implications.

Racism is as much about impact as it is about intention. We shouldn’t forget about those who are on the receiving end of discrimination."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes has history of using elbows and such and getting away with it. Exactly as Judd did for years until he overstepped the mark and finally the MRP had to give him weeks. Goodes has been "protected" by the AFL MRP. Maybe they were too scared to apply the same rule to Goodes for "some reason".

Goodes also has whinged to the umpires and that's after getting some pretty favourable decisions. Fans remember that and don't like it no matter what colour your skin is.

That war dance was poorly executed. Why did Goodes charge towards the small Carlton support crowd after kicking the goal. The Swans were flogging the Blues, a team who was in despair after loss after loss after loss. There is one thing to be a bad loser but bad winners are dead set tossers.

If instead Goodes has done the war dance not towards depressed Carlton fans it would have been taken much better. Do it towards the Swans cheer squad instead and they would have cheered him, everyone would have applauded the act. But no Goodes decided to provoke opposition supporters and surprise, surprise they booed him. Who would have thought that would be the result. When he did it I thought it was poor taste towards the Carlton supports and a bad look. He could have done it much, much better and achieved his aim in doing it.

Same could be said when pointing out the 13 year old girl in the crowd. He made a stand and a statement........against a minor. No problem with the message but how it was delivered (pointing out a 13 year old girl) has divided opinions. Again he could have done that much better. A statement after the match......but the heat of the moment took over and bad decisions get made when people are angry.

So why is Goodes the only indigenous player getting booed this season? This for me is a very important question to discuss.

There are many other indigenous AFL players who have stood up against racism and are leaders but they don't currently get or didn't get booed. So why is Goodes being singled out?

I do think this must stop though. The crowd and especially the media. The media are throwing petrol onto a burning fire and they are not helping. The AFL must make a real stance and if the crowd booes for deemed racist reason the game stops until the booing stops.

But if Goodes or any player takes another dive or elbows someone in the head then boo away.

I'll,repeat ...rubbish ...no more than any other play .....your justifying racism by saying he should Just get over it ...

Ok,lest do a quick tally

Every player in the afl has supported Goodes
Every coach ditto ....all in Goodes camp
Most journalists in his camp
Most aboriginal people are in his camp ......

Against ......
Allan jones
Dermot Brereton
And a few nufiies on big footy ......

I think this is where it's at .....and it clearly indicates it's racism .....

Racists? No. Casual racism? Most certainly yes.

"Some associate racism with a belief in racial superiority or deliberate acts of discrimination. Casual racism concerns not so much a belief in the superiority of races but negative prejudice or stereotypes concerning race.

Unlike overt and intentional acts of racism, casual racism isn’t often intended to cause offence or harm.

One of the obstacles to having an open conversation about race is the tendency to downplay things as not “truly” or “really” racist. This can embolden or encourage prejudice.

You don’t need to subscribe to doctrines of racial superiority or incite racial violence to say or do something with racist implications.

Racism is as much about impact as it is about intention. We shouldn’t forget about those who are on the receiving end of discrimination."

If if a person believes they have been bullied .....we tend to believe the victim

If woman says she's a victim of domestic violence ...we tend to believe the victim

Yet racism ........we ague it's not

He is booed for many different reasons but most of all, it has just caught on and people are following the masses now. Calling and labelling people racist is just disgusting. This is all just a storm in a tea-cup and the media have blown it up now that malthouse is off the headlines.

I find it hard to believe that Goodes is taking it personally. He is a professional footballer who has been playing for many years and heard the boos and cheers all through. I've always thought Goodes has longed for his own Nicky Winmar moment where he changes the world for the better. I think he sees an opportunity in this current controversy but I find it all to be manufactured. I don't subscribe to anyone who is saying that people are actively thinking about the colour of his skin, culture or ethnicity when they are booing - the war has already been won.

Of course his intentions may all be genuine, however, I am sceptical.

According to one Francis Leach of the ABC, we are all drongos, rednecks. It just doesn't end! Everybody being so bloody self-righteous and politically correct.

Ok,lest do a quick tally

Every player in the afl has supported Goodes
Every coach ditto ....all in Goodes camp
Most journalists in his camp
Most aboriginal people are in his camp ......

Against ......
Allan jones
Dermot Brereton
And a few nufiies on big footy ......

I think this is where it's at .....and it clearly indicates it's racism .....
Just because every player in the AFL has come out, doesn't make it so. Who are the players' employer? And journalists' and the media, don't get me started. They would sell their first born child for a good story.
At the Claremont v Swans game today there was a fair bit of comment on the issue in the outer, from people who I would consider joe public. None of it backed the media's, or AFL's stance. Kiefer Yu, Rudi Riddoch, et al did NOT get booed.
The AFL, or media, want to make it into something it is not, in my opinion.

Just because every player in the AFL has come out, doesn't make it so. Who are the players' employer? And journalists' and the media, don't get me started. They would sell their first born child for a good story.
At the Claremont v Swans game today there was a fair bit of comment on the issue in the outer, from people who I would consider joe public. None of it backed the media's, or AFL's stance. Kiefer Yu, Rudi Riddoch, et al did NOT get booed.
The AFL, or media, want to make it into something it is not, in my opinion.

The important & obvious question is... did Swan Districts win?

The important & obvious question is... did Swan Districts win?
Nope BartBart, bitterly disappointed, which may have been behind me getting into the Claremont supporters in the outer bar. It was therapeutic.

Well its also the lead sports story on Al Jazeera English as I flick past at the moment.

Oh and apparently there is a whole special on it coming up.
Perhaps Al Jazeera have been to some Russian soccer matches.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back