BOOO-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there a difference in the way Lubumba & Dawes left Collingwood?
(not a rhetorical question - but that would explain why 1 was booed and the other wasn't (which I can't verify as I only saw a Dawes possession right at the end of the game)

edit: It looks like both effectively asked to be traded, so I am not sure what the difference is.

I suspect that people are going to go the game preparing to show some defiance by booing Mitchell.
I wonder how that will go down.

(not a rhetorical question - but that would explain why 1 was booed and the other wasn't (which I can't verify as I only saw a Dawes possession right at the end of the game)

edit: It looks like both effectively asked to be traded, so I am not sure what the difference is.
Time is the difference I believe...this is Dawes third season with Melbourne, Lumumba only got traded this last off season

Ah ok - thanks. I didn't even think about time as a variable.
I guess the follow up question would be whether Dawes copped it after he left?

Time is the difference I believe...this is Dawes third season with Melbourne, Lumumba only got traded this last off season
Lumumba may also deemed to be a much bigger flog, by some of the things he has said.

Ilkka and Hardhat, quick question, if this is racist, why is no other aboriginal player being booed?

Keeerist....it's people like you who make this situation seem worse than it actually is and I also think you are pawns to the media who want to make this situation a big story to justify their take on the subject. Personally I was at the game and was quite bemused by the booing as i thought it was a bit naffe given the fact that other supporters had started the situation and WCE eagles supporters just joined the mob. I found it a bit amusing however as I likened it to the booing of a "villain" at some sort of old fashioned drama. This holier than thou attitude that people opposed to the situation bring to this type of forum is an absolute disgrace and to label everyone who disagrees with your opinion a racist is typical of left wing "name blame" tactics to stop any reasonable discussion on issues. This whole exercise has been pitiful and by any measure is an exercise in political correctness gone wrong. I listened to a radio broadcast on Saturday where the commentators said that indigenous players had obviously lifted their performance in support of Goodes. He then went on to say Collingwood fans had booed H Lamumba but that was different as he was an ex Collingwood player. In an unrelated off the cuff comment later he said Dawes hadn't been booed even tho' he too was an ex Collingwood player. Oh dear, is that not racist as well? I have seen people from all races make racist comments but for some reason western civilization seem determined to ignore everything else but pick up anything that may be seen as "racist" in our own community while ignoring anything that disagrees with their interpretation and labeling anyone who does disagree as either racist, sexist , ageist or whatever so that they can take the higher moral ground. Well as far as I am concerned, if you think you are that superior good luck, but leave the rest of us to look at issues with an open mind.

The booing most players get for the things you mentioned are a different tone and length of time that goodies has copped

I'll ask you a question ...if Goodes was white do you think he'd be booed at the same levels

Barry Hall and Leigh Mathews were thugs of the highest order ...neither was booed at the levels Goodes was

I don't think all of the booing is racist either but I feel it has racist undertone to it ...does that make sense ?

Another question ...do you think Australia is racist country or are we excellent and no issue at all you can see?

As much as I dont agree with the Booing of Goodes..

I think this week we need to bring the House of Pain back for the Hawks.

The Victorian media has made us to be the bad guys.. time to give some back to them by making the Hawks sweat it out.

I suggest going for the most mentally fragile blokes - no need to mention names

Lumumba may also deemed to be a much bigger flog, by some of the things he has said.

Ilkka and Hardhat, quick question, if this is racist, why is no other aboriginal player being booed?

Because no other player has been as outspoken about racial issues or been awarded Australian of the Year.

Quick question for you - why would you continue to boo a widely respected indigenous icon of the game, against the wishes of seemingly all of the players, coaches and executives in the AFL, including those representing the club you support, given the knowledge that you would only be serving to damage the reputation of the club you support, and the knowledge that the player in question has been struggling emotionally with being the most widely-booed player in the comp for more than a year?

What because they don't like racism

The age has supported Goodes cause .....

Sorry your out of line

I will say this. Racism is a hoax. There is only one human race. In fact, there are no white people, we are all black because the original humans came out of Africa. So you might want to label me as 'white' but really i'm just a paler shade of black. We are all human. Anyone who boos another human on the basis of their skin colour is stupid and a moron. However, I do not believe that is what is happening.

Last edited:
Jobe Watson is known as a drug cheat and Lindsay Thomas is the biggest stager in the comp, and they STILL don't get booed as much as Goodes.

Hope you watched a lot of footy this weekend. Just about every team made displays of support for Goodes and many, many players, coaches and executives have spoken out in support of him. Yet you still think it's cool for supporters of every team in the comp to boo him every time he touches the ball. For what purpose? To boo a star of the game who's clearly being affected emotionally by the constant booing? Gee, that's something to be proud of.

Did I say it was something to be proud of? Did I say it was cool? You're pathetic.

You obviously didn't watch the games that Watson and Thomas were getting booed. The crowds latched onto Watson for a fair few weeks but it died off for whatever reason. Goodes booing will now also die off. These things just come and go. The media has played a huge part in the Goodes booing affair by fanning the flame - racism is a dirty word that will always ignite. That's why we always here when 1 idiot out of many thousands calls out "ape" or whatever derogatory word comes to them after a few beers. It just shouldn't get air time but it does as the media and fans love hearing about it.

Anyone that decides to distance themselves from the mainstream are labelled racists... Just like you are implying. People are entitled to have their own opinions without being labelled racists.

The booing most players get for the things you mentioned are a different tone and length of time that goodies has copped

I'll ask you a question ...if Goodes was white do you think he'd be booed at the same levels

Barry Hall and Leigh Mathews were thugs of the highest order ...neither was booed at the levels Goodes was

I don't think all of the booing is racist either but I feel it has racist undertone to it ...does that make sense ?

Another question ...do you think Australia is racist country or are we excellent and no issue at all you can see?

To answer your question - Jobe Watson was subjected to the exact same booing from many different venues earlier this year. He is Caucasian by the way. Obviously for vastly different reasons but you were stating that these boos are exclusively reserved for an aboriginal player which is just ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I say it was something to be proud of? Did I say it was cool? You're pathetic.

You obviously didn't watch the games that Watson and Thomas were getting booed. The crowds latched onto Watson for a fair few weeks but it died off for whatever reason. Goodes booing will now also die off. These things just come and go. The media has played a huge part in the Goodes booing affair by fanning the flame - racism is a dirty word that will always ignite. That's why we always here when 1 idiot out of many thousands calls out "ape" or whatever derogatory word comes to them after a few beers. It just shouldn't get air time but it does as the media and fans love hearing about it.

Anyone that decides to distance themselves from the mainstream are labelled racists... Just like you are implying. People are entitled to have their own opinions without being labelled racists.

Except everyone knows why Watson was being booed (the drug scandal). Why has Goodes been getting booed every time he has played away from the SCG over the past year and a half?

Also, your last sentence is a strawman since nobody is accusing people who have their own opinion of being racist. You just made that up.

Have you ever watched Dawes play? Melbourne fans should be booing him.

Eugh, this is the stupidest damn argument in the whole debate.

If it's for staging or being a w***er or whatever, why did Joel Selwood not get booed? Why has Hayden Ballantyne or Ryan Crowley never been booed like that?

Maybe it's because no other indigenous player in the past 20 years has stood up for themselves and their people like Goodes. Maybe it's because no other indigenous player has been this outspoken about racism in society. Maybe it's because no other indigenous player has ever pointed out someone who racially vilified them in the crowd like Goodes.

Now I am beginning to understand what the post ww2 generations of Germans went through with the Jews, every single time a Jew got caught with their hand in the till or for pedophilia they shout from the tops of the hills your an "Anti-Semite" and the Germans backed down. Fast forward to 2015 where a person gets booed ( for what ever reason ) constantly and instead of thinking they could be booing me because I always stage for free kicks he makes the connection to it being racist instead.

Its way damn too easy to say "its not me, its the 5000+ people at nearly all the AFL venues that are bad".
Yeh those two situation are obviously exactly the same.

Now I am beginning to understand what the post ww2 generations of Germans went through with the Jews, every single time a Jew got caught with their hand in the till or for pedophilia they shout from the tops of the hills your an "Anti-Semite" and the Germans backed down. Fast forward to 2015 where a person gets booed ( for what ever reason ) constantly and instead of thinking they could be booing me because I always stage for free kicks he makes the connection to it being racist instead.

Its way damn too easy to say "its not me, its the 5000+ people at nearly all the AFL venues that are bad".
This is a s**t post on its own. Then when you factor in that you've posted the s**t shown below, your opinion on racism becomes absolutely worthless.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/josh-simpson.1059075/#post-32619718

Disappointing to say the least, purely from the perspective of him taking up a spot on your list that some young keen kid could of made a career out of and now will sadly be a waste. These indigenous kids are forcing recruiters to take notice that they are finicky and hard to "make work" and commit to a rigid lifestyle of hard work and ethic, I wouldn't pick one these days if I were a recruiter.

Except everyone knows why Watson was being booed (the drug scandal). Why has Goodes been getting booed every time he has played away from the SCG over the past year and a half?

Also, your last sentence is a strawman since nobody is accusing people who have their own opinion of being racist. You just made that up.
if 50% of the crowd good there would be 10k plus different reasons. People do have their own thoughts and values.

People have gotten so good at using vaguely racist code words, it's actually kind of breathtaking when someone still comes right out and says "Aboriginal people are lazy."
Um you can listen to your own lies and believe them but I will go on my own personally experiences in life that are actually real. Somehow the "do good brigade" have separated themselves from "what is reality" and into what they "want as reality", every single person I know and have dealings with agree with my sentiments in private. The fact we have to pretend its all not true in public reeks of PC gone mad but hey I don't mind being made a pariah for typing things into this forum that I know are closer to the truth than your pure fantasy.

Um you can listen to your own lies and believe them but I will go on my own personally experiences in life that are actually real. Somehow the "do good brigade" have separated themselves from "what is reality" and into what they "want as reality", every single person I know and have dealings with agree with my sentiments in private. The fact we have to pretend its all not true in public reeks of PC gone mad but hey I don't mind being made a pariah for typing things into this forum that I know are closer to the truth than your pure fantasy.

Racism isn't thinking all aboriginal people you've met are lazy (for example). It's extrapolating that because all the ones you've met are lazy, that they're all lazy. It's also assuming that they're lazy because they're aboriginal, rather than being lazy as a result of everything they have been through and go through daily as a result of having been born aboriginal.

Racism is entrenched, deeply complicated and self reinforcing (ie poor people are more likely to be criminals, most aboriginal people are poor etc). To not try and understand what's going on and oversimplify the problem is, dare I say it, lazy.

Alright, I'll answer your questions. I don't think it makes any difference if he was black or white (see Akermanis, Ballentyne, Crowley etc) however his behaviour in doing that stupid but aggressive spear throwing thing certainly didn't help. As I've said many times, I don't give a toss about the bloody dance except that other players have been fined/cautioned etc for making inappropriate signs on the field and I consider this no different. The only thing about this is that Goodes must have expected copping flack from some quarters at least but went ahead on a meaningless stunt(and don't say it was traditional as that is simply not true) For that reason I have zero sympathy for him and even though I wouldn't have boooed him and thought the whole excersize was a but juvenile at best and sheeplike at worst, you must reap what you sow and don't come back crying later. I will also say, to Goodes credit, he wasn't the one who initially complained but it has been blown out of all proportion by the media and the PC brigade.

There is no question racism exists in Australia as it does in every country and it also exists within Aboriginal communities. Did you know that within the "industry" many indigenous people are called "coconuts" as they are considered to be black on the outside but white on the inside as they may not agree with the stance taken by those people holding profiles in the indigenous community. I have seen some people denied training opportunities for this reason.

I do not believe Australia is any worse in racism than any other country and in fact, I think we may be better on average. About 10 years ago, I was told by several girls from various overseas background that their parents had forbidden them to have dates with boys from Australia and in fact, they were told they must only consider people from their own background as partners. Some were beaten for disobeying that rule. I think this has changed a lot since.

Finally, it is difficult to accurately define racism in all forms. (This is borne out by the varying views on this forum). For example, at one stage I had to intervene when a young indigenous employee was seeking rental accommodation in a country town. She and her family simply couldn't get a house. Clearly that was because of her race. However despite this being a race issue, it is also understandable that house owners would be wary of renting given the widespread perception that houses are trashed in the indigenous community (rightly or wrongly...that is another issue). In this instance the person concerned had no problem obtaining housing once the employer became involved. It is also true in WA that most people I know avoid situations where they may encounter groups of indigenous people at night. This isn't racism as such but self preservation as violence can be a problem. It is also true that a large percentage of the prison population in WA are indigenous...way, way out of proportion to their representation as a percentage of the population. Racist...or simply representing criminal activity? Now I know these comments will be regarded as racist in themselves but they are all verifiable.

Sorry about the long email and I am not trying to lecture here but I just think the issue is complicated enough without throwing racist tags around to anyone opposing a beat up media campaign labeling this stupid incident as group racism.

Hall was certainly booed by WC supporters. Mathews is from another era where thuggery was the norm, and retired while I was at school so I have no idea.

You comments only make sense if they relate to a specific person with a specific motive, you can not generalise. Media does which is why they have no credibility.

I asked four people who were at the swans game. two didn't and never boo but didn't think it was racist, one did because they felt Goodes is a dog on the field and was creating trouble off the ball during the game, the fourth didn't recall but boo'ed all opposition at every game so probably did at times. they all know the game well and have a long history for working with indigenous people. That only accounts for four people.

I have travelled extensively and feel Australia is far less discriminatory that most countries including all of our near neighbours. Only a blind fool would state that any society is 100% non discriminatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back