Running/Fitness Boots and Runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody wear minimalist shoes? I'm done with the thick soled chunky heeled runners, doing nothing good for me at all.
Do not wear these "free run" shoes in conjunction with roads or concrete. I had nike free runs for a couple of years but have now gone into a medium type (lunaglide) and won't go back to the free runs ever again you'll soon be wishing for more cushion

Golf stores have hitting nets so you can try demo clubs, I wish they had kicking nets in the sports store so you can feel what it's like to kick in certain boots.
They may seem comfortable in the shop but they don't always have a good foot to ball feel about them.
some seasons I've bought multiple pairs til I find ones I like kicking for goals in.
Most footy boots now a days seemed to made with synthetic leather which to me seems to be bouncy off the foot when kicking , any one else notice this!

Buying new boots is so frustrating. Used my old asics until they fell apart. Got roughly 4 seasons out of them. They did get a lot of maintenance work!

Going into my second season with my new pair now.. I always buy them roughly half a size smaller. Hurts breaking them in!

Started using nike free runs and found they've really strengthened my ankles (used to roll them a fair bit) road running has been fine with them too. Havnt had any problems.

Anybody wear minimalist shoes? I'm done with the thick soled chunky heeled runners, doing nothing good for me at all.
How do you run? That's an important factor to work out first.

I changed to front foot striking due to knee problems and now wear minimalist shoes - I tend not to do long distances, when I do run its repeat efforts (normally sprints or repeat 400s). Also prefer flatter soled shoes for going to the gym.

How do you run? That's an important factor to work out first.

I changed to front foot striking due to knee problems and now wear minimalist shoes - I tend not to do long distances, when I do run its repeat efforts (normally sprints or repeat 400s). Also prefer flatter soled shoes for going to the gym.

I also changed to mid/front foot striking, I was landing pretty much on my heel and my knees and back were aching all the time. But with my current runneres it makes it very hard not to land heel first and if I try to correct it I look like a prancing fairy.

I also changed to mid/front foot striking, I was landing pretty much on my heel and my knees and back were aching all the time. But with my current runneres it makes it very hard not to land heel first and if I try to correct it I look like a prancing fairy.
The transition time to front foot striking takes time, so it is best to mix up your running to strengthen the muscles that aren't normally used.

There's a mob in the US who run in old pieces of road tyre wrapped around their feet with a couple of pieces of string! Definately not for first timers.

I'm a barefoot runner. Started in September last year which makes it 7 months now. Best thing I've ever done.

Just recently bought a pair of Vibram ('vee-bram') five fingers as the last few runs at the oval have been a bit chilly on the feet and I want to do some road run events again soon.

Thrown the orthotics in the bin. Spent a s**t load of money on them over the years and my feet were still as ****ed as the day I got them. Good for support but they do nothing to strengthen your feet and correct issues the way we're meant to.

I'm a barefoot runner. Started in September last year which makes it 7 months now. Best thing I've ever done.

Just recently bought a pair of Vibram ('vee-bram') five fingers as the last few runs at the oval have been a bit chilly on the feet and I want to do some road run events again soon.
i dont see the point in Vibrams anymore. there are plenty of ultra-minimalist shoes now that offer the same running experience for less money without making you look like you're wearing monkey feet.

also you're not really a barefoot runner until you start a blog

i dont see the point in Vibrams anymore. there are plenty of ultra-minimalist shoes now that offer the same running experience for less money without making you look like you're wearing monkey feet.

also you're not really a barefoot runner until you start a blog

walking and running barefoot allow the toes to splay. if there is a regular shoe with a toe box which doesn't prohibit this, then please direct me to them.

the majority of feet in the civilised world have toes which curve inwards. check out your own feet. the big and little toe are probably angled inwards. They're not meant to be like that. Shoes have done it. Wearing them every single day deform our feet, promote incorrect mechanics, and basically just * 'em up.

fig06.jpg

vs

20090505-k3pfpa6c7exbg14dk2xa9813q9.jpg

look how they start out.

babyfeet.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

E width and a wide fore-foot/toe box are two different things. i don't want or need an E width shoe which is wider right through the mid-foot too. TBH, most folks who think they do, don't need them either. What they need is a natural last like some of the innov8 models.

i have the innov8 f-lite natural 232's which are 0mm drop, 3mm footbed and have a natural anatomic last. I use them for the casual crossfit and at the gym and are best all-round fitness shoe I've owned. They aren't wide all the way through, just at the fore-foot and toe box (like a normal foot) to accommodate toe splay better than most shoes i've come across. If there is something out there that can give me a more natural run, then no harm in trying it out.

Last edited:
yeah i have a pair of inov8 road 178 that i use for shorter, faster stuff. love them.

Altra shoes probably have the roomiest toe box available but i dont think you'd like them. they're all zero drop shoes with no support structure but they have a pretty big stack height and a cushy ride so you lose a lot of ground feel.
i have a pair of The One that they make and its a really good shoe. its not great but damn that toe box is huge.
strangely enough with their new models they are putting even more rubber under the sole....apparently Maximalism is a thing now

Golf stores have hitting nets so you can try demo clubs, I wish they had kicking nets in the sports store so you can feel what it's like to kick in certain boots.
They may seem comfortable in the shop but they don't always have a good foot to ball feel about them.
some seasons I've bought multiple pairs til I find ones I like kicking for goals in.
Most footy boots now a days seemed to made with synthetic leather which to me seems to be bouncy off the foot when kicking , any one else notice this!

Nothing like high quality calf leather. Makes a huge difference in touch and feel when kicking a soccer ball compared to synthetic crap in my experience.

I wear the nike fly nites got 2 different soles 4.0 there a bit soft & 5.0 there curled and harder more barefoot I love them best shoes I have ever had.
I wear Nike Frees however I made the transition to front foot striking years ago so they suit me.
Anyone in a transition phase needs to be careful, anecdotally it around the 80% injury rate transitioning (and I did have some tendon-strain issues when I did).

Flatter soled shoes are better for leg day at the gym too.

I wear Nike Frees however I made the transition to front foot striking years ago so they suit me.
Anyone in a transition phase needs to be careful, anecdotally it around the 80% injury rate transitioning (and I did have some tendon-strain issues when I did).

Flatter soled shoes are better for leg day at the gym too.
I mainly were the 5.0 free runs would never wear 3.0

I find Nike Free runs are the most comfortable, had a pair of Adidas Crazylights which weren't as comfy..

I usually buy my boots off of www.prodirectsoccer.com from when I use to buy goalkeeping gloves for soccer as a youngster. Absolutely huge range and plus since they are a European company they bring out pairs in summer ( Their winter) so you can nab a good pair that no one else will probably have because they will have been sold out by April ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back