neroblack

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
For the record I wasn't "shocked" by Kony 2012 either. But thats because I actually know a bunch of s**t about the world cause I pay attention.

I bet a bunch of the lovejoys in this thread were right into Kony though, then posted about it on facebook for a week before forgetting about it.

So what you're saying is, you know a bunch of s**t about the world that when someone carries out a weak attack on unsuspecting and innocent individuals, you don't care? Sounds more to me like you've read a lot of stuff on the internet that you don't understand at all.

533811_504388036283119_823988708_n.jpg

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can people please explain the photos they are posting?

These don't mean anything without context

Yellow box is the 8 year old victim. The guy with the red arrow has a bag the Feds believe might have carried one of the devices. Ditto the two in the red box

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
There is another photo somewhere of the dude in the blue jacket (inside the red box) carrying the backpack, the other blue dude is holding in this one. Just a guess but that other blue guy (red arrow) looks like he might be homeless. Could have maybe pinched it because it was left alone.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
ok -

So civilian photos where civilians have circled potential suspects?

I'm just thinking that if the circled men turn out to have had no part in the bombings, then they have been rather unfairly identified...

Jul 17, 2004
Hotlanta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
UGA, KSU, Knox C.C
ok -

So civilian photos where civilians have circled potential suspects?

I'm just thinking that if the circled men turn out to have had no part in the bombings, then they have been rather unfairly identified...

Yep.

Leave it to the Feds, they know what they are doing far better than some random image analyst on a website.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally it's a fascinating look into social media's impact on current events. Exponential arrays of content from those in the vicinity and ease of distribution and access provides media, law enforcement and the rest with so many questions, and even more ethical and moral concerns. These questions are attempted to be answered, like the images above...but I agree that this type of vigilantism is a tad concerning.

The rubberneck phenomenon allows people all over the world to become Sherlock.

LouisCK

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So what you're saying is, you know a bunch of s**t about the world that when someone carries out a weak attack on unsuspecting and innocent individuals, you don't care? Sounds more to me like you've read a lot of stuff on the internet that you don't understand at all.

America does the same thing every day.

But no, I don't care, because its just as normal as somebody robbing a bank or selling drugs. Its not "right" or even tolerated, but its been happening for a very long time and will continue to happen. Acting shocked is playing right into the hands of people who would commit such an act. Why be shocked unless you aren't aware of how common domestic terrorism is in the USA?

Odds are its some nutjob who was born in the USA, and if it is a muslim, odds are its because America continue to support opressive dictators accross the ME, blow up civilians with robot planes and constantly mess with the soveriegnty of other nations in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. If America doesn't want to get attacked by outside influences (that is of course, if it isn't some homegrown nutjob), they should stop being arseholes to everyone else.

neroblack

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
America does the same thing every day.

But no, I don't care, because its just as normal as somebody robbing a bank or selling drugs. Its not "right" or even tolerated, but its been happening for a very long time and will continue to happen. Acting shocked is playing right into the hands of people who would commit such an act. Why be shocked unless you aren't aware of how common domestic terrorism is in the USA?

Odds are its some nutjob who was born in the USA, and if it is a muslim, odds are its because America continue to support opressive dictators accross the ME, blow up civilians with robot planes and constantly mess with the soveriegnty of other nations in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. If America doesn't want to get attacked by outside influences (that is of course, if it isn't some homegrown nutjob), they should stop being arseholes to everyone else.

It's not about the reason why, it's about the act that was carried out. I suggest that you'd care if it was a relative of yours running in a marathon in Melbourne, and a similar attack was carried out here. We support America, so what's the difference? You may not care in this case because you don't know anyone personally involved, however the majority of people would at least sympathize with the families of people impacted by this event.

I'm interested to find out the reason why this happened, it may well be one of the reasons you've spoken about. But regardless of the reason, it's not going to make me think "oh that's why, it all makes sense now, they probably deserved it". That's not right. Thinking that way probably shows some sort of disconnect from reality too.

liam_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its a democracy, if both "sides" of government are pro-war, and they are, then the civilians have a right/duty to express their displeasure by voting for a third party.

I feel for the yank civilians who understand how screwed their country is. How their democracy is just a front for multinationals, how far they've fallen, how hard it is to run a protest without being bashed/killed my the jacks... but the reality is the ultimate responsibility lies with the people.

Their country kills civilians every day, deliberately targets them in fact. So forgive me if i dont care that a couple of fitness freaks got killed, its "collateral damage" according to the US government.

The 8 year old and the Chinese national are both regretting their votes at the last election, and that they never took responsibility for making the US government accountable..

In my opinion, you are attempting to take a viewpoint that is not needed. You don't care that 3 people (who weren't even competing, but yeah you know s**t) died, 1 of whom wasn't even an American citizen and 1 of whom was 8 years old, because the US government is a * up? Do you care about the people who it happens to every day?
I attempt to keep up with what's happening in Somalia, Syria, Iraq etc, and while I can't relate to what's happening to them, I'm capable of feeling emotion for them. I can't relate to the families involved in Boston, but I'm capable of feeling emotion for them even if the US government are full of war criminals (and past governments included - Bush for one).

Believe me, I realise it doesn't do s**t for them. It doesn't fix up their war-torn country, and it doesn't heal burns or shrapnel wounds. But it's a pretty basic human reaction, and just because you don't agree with the policies doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.

So the feds are releasing these photos why? Because they are asking for public help identifying them? Something seems weird here

The feds were actually requesting all images and videos taken by civillians into them, and so I imagine this was one such photo that someone sent to the feds and then posted on the internet "this is my photo".

While I agree that they should send their images to the feds and leave it at that, I think the chances are low that the man is publicly identified/known etc. Hopefully it stays that way to protect the possibly innocents privacy but this, depending on the conclusion, is the pro/con of social media.

LouisCK

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's not about the reason why, it's about the act that was carried out. I suggest that you'd care if it was a relative of yours running in a marathon in Melbourne, and a similar attack was carried out here. We support America, so what's the difference? You may not care in this case because you don't know anyone personally involved, however the majority of people would at least sympathize with the families of people impacted by this event.

I'm interested to find out the reason why this happened, it may well be one of the reasons you've spoken about. But regardless of the reason, it's not going to make me think "oh that's why, it all makes sense now, they probably deserved it". That's not right. Thinking that way probably shows some sort of disconnect from reality too.

Of course I'd care if it was my relative. But it's not, so I don't.

LouisCK

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The 8 year old and the Chinese national are both regretting their votes at the last election, and that they never took responsibility for making the US government accountable..

There's always an element of risk in travelling to certain countries. I wouldn't smuggle drugs in Indonesia, for example. America is the most violent nation in history, and has a documented history of domestic terrorism.

In my opinion, you are attempting to take a viewpoint that is not needed. You don't care that 3 people (who weren't even competing, but yeah you know s**t) died, 1 of whom wasn't even an American citizen and 1 of whom was 8 years old, because the US government is a **** up? Do you care about the people who it happens to every day?
I attempt to keep up with what's happening in Somalia, Syria, Iraq etc, and while I can't relate to what's happening to them, I'm capable of feeling emotion for them. I can't relate to the families involved in Boston, but I'm capable of feeling emotion for them even if the US government are full of war criminals (and past governments included - Bush for one).

The default opinion is not to care. So I ask you, why do you care?

You sound emotional.

neroblack

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Of course I'd care if it was my relative. But it's not, so I don't.

Well that only says something about you then. I'm sure plenty of people you don't know would care about you if it was your relative too.

neroblack

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Please. This isn't about you or your fake feelings.

I never mentioned myself. You on the other hand went to great lengths to explain that your lack of feelings is based on your extraordinary knowledge of worldwide events. That leads me to think that you've never actually experienced much at all for yourself.

Back