Boston Marathon Explosions

Remove this Banner Ad

I never mentioned myself. You on the other hand went to great lengths to explain that your lack of feelings is based on your extraordinary knowledge of worldwide events. That leads me to think that you've never actually experienced much at all for yourself.

You are talking about your feelings in this very thread, are you not?

You have problems with your ability to reason. Its interesting that you place such weight on personally experiencing things in this post, yet have a whinge when I say that there is no reason to get upset if you're not directly effected by it.

So which is it? Is personal experience valuable or not?

I just take an academic view of it. You don't know what your view is because you are relying on emotion instead of logic.

Nobody said it does. But the media is influencing reaction to it.

There is really no genuine emotional response to this. I have empathy for the victims/citizens, but that is not the same thing as having an emotional response. Anyone saying they have a genuine emotional response is lying or deluded.

The media is doing its job - providing information people want to know. People are interested in this incident, and emotionally affected by it, because it hits close to home. Terrorist attacks at sporting events in safe, affluent western cities resonate with Australians for obvious reasons.

The fact that you don't see it to be a logical response on an academic level is entirely irrelevant to whether it is a valid one. We are humans and we are emotionally affected by stuff that happens to other humans to the extent that we are able to identify with them.

You are talking about your feelings in this very thread, are you not?

You have problems with your ability to reason. Its interesting that you place such weight on personally experiencing things in this post, yet have a whinge when I say that there is no reason to get upset if you're not directly effected by it.

So which is it? Is personal experience valuable or not?

I just take an academic view of it. You don't know what your view is because you are relying on emotion instead of logic.

I have no problems with my ability to reason. I wasn't referring to personal experience in this particular event, I meant any event where a sudden, tragic event has occurred. That's what influences people's perspectives on things. It's also a reason why many people will not be taking a purely academic view on things, as you say you are.

One more thing - just because your mind works only in absolutes doesn't mean that everybody else's should. I understand the perspective you've taken, I just don't understand how the only thing that influences your perspective is an "academic" view of events.

I have no problems with my ability to reason. I wasn't referring to personal experience in this particular event, I meant any event where a sudden, tragic event has occurred. That's what influences people's perspectives on things. It's also a reason why many people will not be taking a purely academic view on things, as you say you are.

One more thing - just because your mind works only in absolutes doesn't mean that everybody else's should. I understand the perspective you've taken, I just don't understand how the only thing that influences your perspective is an "academic" view of events.

Its just logical that these things shouldn't affect people anymore than hearing about a bomb being dropped on a school in Afghanistan. My experiences also play a part, I won't go into detail but I have been exposed to the effects of terrorism/murder quite regularly, so it just doesn't seem all that shocking to me.

Lets all just accept that LouisCK is superior to the rest of us, since that's all he wants, and move on.

There is another photo somewhere of the dude in the blue jacket (inside the red box) carrying the backpack, the other blue dude is holding in this one. Just a guess but that other blue guy (red arrow) looks like he might be homeless. Could have maybe pinched it because it was left alone.

One of the US media outlets said the authorities were interested in speaking to a man in a white baseball cap. Potentially 4chan were onto something if the media aren't also reading 4chan (or Reddit) for stories which I wouldnt put past them either.

Its just logical that these things shouldn't affect people anymore than hearing about a bomb being dropped on a school in Afghanistan. My experiences also play a part, I won't go into detail but I have been exposed to the effects of terrorism/murder quite regularly, so it just doesn't seem all that shocking to me.

I don't think logical is the right word for it...people know (very roughly) what is going on in Iraq, Afghanistan and a few other places in the world, so when they hear of a bombing there, there is no real surprise (as bad as that sounds). It doesn't mean that if someone stops and thinks about it that they don't feel sorry for all of the people that are impacted by the events though.

A bombing at an event like a marathon is completely different, people in Australia often go to very similar public events and they wouldn't even consider that something like that could happen. That's where the shock comes from I think. That's not to say that one event is more tragic than another, but people's reaction will be very different. You're saying it's your own experience that influences your point of view, and that's fair enough too.

Australia is not America. Our history is nowhere near as violent as theirs, and we have nothing like their record of domestic terrorism. If people were more informed they'd be less shocked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just agreed that logic doesn't govern emotions.

Of course it doesn't. But I don't believe people that have literally nothing to do with what happened are experiencing real emotion over it. And I look down on them because of their lack of perspective.

Of course it doesn't. But I don't believe people that have literally nothing to do with what happened are experiencing real emotion over it. And I look down on them because of their lack of perspective.
You've really managed to confuse yourself in this thread.

Emotion isn't all or nothing, it exists on a spectrum depending how close you are to the incident. This gave me a shock, less than if it was in Australia and more than if it was in Afghanistan. It's like that for most people.

Regarding logic, If you start with the premise that all lives should be given equal emotional weight then yeah, it's inconsistent. But lives don't carry equal emotional weight. That's the way things are. You're deluding yourself if you think you can detach and rationalise things to the point that they do.

Ive not watched/heard/read anything about these bombings other than catching a glimpse of the Huns front page.

I could not give a rats arse if some kid died in Boston. I bet the yanks killed at least 10 Iraqi kids that day. And the next. And today.

Anyone who feels anything towards this event has been saturated with mainstream grief pr0n.

Its a non event, but would sell a heap of news products.

God you're an idiot veasley.

Always trying to prove to GD how hard arse you are. Your toughness in the area of "not giving a s**t" about 8 year olds being maimed in a bomb attack is inspiring.

Seriously though, "i don't give a s**t that some 8 year old kid died" - is offensive, I don't care what nationality the kid you're referring to is, it's unneccessary.

Every thread about a tragic event guarantees arseholes like you ranting and raving about how you don't care about the victims. You're not original. You're just using this tragic event to point out some perceived hypocrisy and get on your high horse about it. Your stance in this argument is much more egotistical than the people you're arguing against and you're perverse. The irony is glaringly obvious to me.

For everyone else, i don't usually promote SRP board over this one but if you want to have a discussion without the typical flag waving "i don't care about tragic event" arseholes there is a thread on this topic.

Don't know where you're getting empathy from in that post. I thought it's point was clear, you're a utensil.

Dont act like you're not impressed.

I didnt rant or rave i was merely adding my simple take on this piece of grief pr0n.

Saw some footage of it. Pretty small fry stuff. Couldve been a lot worse. Still dont see what the big deal is other than its visual impact to induce fear.

paK3lGJh.png

Interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back