Bottoms Up

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the indulgence but it doesn't really fit in one of our existing threads ... maybe rant thread but it's not GWS specific and not Malthouse specific. This is how fast our fortunes and mood can change.

Remember this?

carlton-vs-richmond1.jpg

Just 30 games later ....

ladder2015.PNG

Treasure every high you experience because it's a cruel game. If a week is a long time in football, well 30 games brings on generational change.

The only way is up ... I hope.

Memorable day that. Never forget it as long as I live. THE NOISE. Reality was tho we didn't finish in the top 8 and shouldn't have been there. Prob gave us more false hope.

I would like to see the equivalent Port model. Gives us hope we can turn it around quickly.

We've never finished 18th before, so that's something to look forward to. :(

I was born on the 18th ... I consider this a tribute to me.

Thanks guys.

There are so many things wrong with this club where do we start! No players are happy at Carlton but seem to thrive and enjoy footy once they leave. It runs a lot more deeper then the coach and players! There is a very bad culture at this club that has been building for over 10 years now. What can we do? Nothing at all. No one knows the problem but the club keeps thinking money will change it! As members all we can do is sit back and cop it. The club have nowhere to go to look for confidence EVERY media person thrives on our suffering and and the pot shots and the put downs are all around us for the club and players to see. This is one of the worst periods in the clubs history and with more clubs more media it's going to be hard to get out of it. Where do we turn? What can we change? We have nothing left.

Last night I was in a IDGAF mode but now it's like.. wow.

Legit upset over it. Our club is a complete rabble.

Memorable day that. Never forget it as long as I live. THE NOISE. Reality was tho we didn't finish in the top 8 and shouldn't have been there. Prob gave us more false hope.

I would like to see the equivalent Port model. Gives us hope we can turn it around quickly.

Port had Hartlett, Boak, Trengove, O'Shea, Gray, Moore, Lobbe, Carlile, Schulz, Ebert, Westhoff. I'm not sure we have the players coming on that they did.

Mind you, they've lost their way a little bit again. Maybe theirs was a false dawn too. Maybe ...

You drag me on here tricking me into thinking this thread was about booze...

FMD!

Silver lining mate. I've just given you a guilt free reason to have another drink.

I go for Sydney FC and they lost 3-0 in the GF and only started going for them 2 years ago. Great day. :(

Sorry for the indulgence but it doesn't really fit in one of our existing threads ... maybe rant thread but it's not GWS specific and not Malthouse specific. This is how fast our fortunes and mood can change.

Remember this?

View attachment 135204

Just 30 games later ....

View attachment 135210

Treasure every high you experience because it's a cruel game. If a week is a long time in football, well 30 games brings on generational change.

The only way is up ... I hope.

Remember, the only reason we got to play in that game was

a) Malthouse threw out the game plan halfway through the season.

b) bombers suspended.

Unfortunately we haven't been able to rely on that set of circumstances since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember, the only reason we got to play in that game was

a) Malthouse threw out the game plan halfway through the season.

b) bombers suspended.

Unfortunately we haven't been able to rely on that set of circumstances since.

I know we were fortunate to be there. However we did win some great contests late in that season against Richmond, Port and Richmond again. We weren't embarrassed against Sydney in the semi either. It's more about that great feeling to win an MCG elimination final against a rival, then such a short time later ... here we are.

I know we were fortunate to be there. However we did win some great contests late in that season against Richmond, Port and Richmond again. We weren't embarrassed against Sydney in the semi either. It's more about that great feeling to win an MCG elimination final against a rival, then such a short time later ... here we are.

The putrid pile a filth that is our board has a lot to answer for.

The Carlton football call needs to re-invent itself .. Stuck in a stale, stubborn timewarp, much like Collingwood in the mid 80s. Living off past glories, expecting success to be handed to it on a platter with the weight of their/our rich history.

I still don't believe we have actually recovered from the salary cap rorts and sanctions, and sadly, Chris Judd and all the excitement Gibbs/Murphy and Kruezer bought, was just a false dawn.

I don't want to single out individual names here, its been a collective head up the arse/in the sand attitude prevalent at this club for many years.

For a start, the club, from the board through to the fanbase need to get rid of the somewhat elitist/arrogant mindset that Carlton are born to rule/win premierships, those days went out late last century ..

Big Nick said something last year at the B and F about us as a club need to be 'more humble' and I couldn't agree more.

From a culturally point of view, Mick and the club did the right thing getting rid of past favourites who perhaps are now starring at other clubs. But we honestly never looked serious premiership contenders with those players. In hindsight I would have not traded for Judd and kept Kennedy, our intermediate recruiting/trading moves since acquiring Judd was set around trying to leap frog the rebuilding process and win a flag, but as a result, with have little depth left and enough youth to build a contender around.

No more quick fixes, that's the only way. Say no to Dangerfield, Treloar, Aish, Shiel, etc and just build via the draft. I am thrilled for Cripps, as he is going to be the first champion we have drafted and developed in years, but we need at least 7-8 more type of those kids to come through in the next 3-4 national and rookie drafts.

Give the next coach a secure, ironclad contract of 5 years to ensure security and continuity, and build/shape our next team to be serious contenders.

No more topping up, would rather have young kids that failed, then recycled players who have no long term benefit like Jones and Tutt.

We have to swallow our pride and be meek in our rebuilding process, none of this stubborn pride in being competitive or trying to top up to get a pointless 7th/8th spot in the finals, which is basically window dressing.

Letting go of the old Carlton arrogance is the only way forward for this football club. And I hate saying this, but its the reality. I don't want us to end up like the Melbourne Footy Club post 1964/sacking Norm Smith. The Doggies for one, are now showing the benefits of doing a full rebuild since replacing Rodney Eade. Their model is what we should base our rebuild on.

#WithAllTheChampions

There are so many things wrong with this club where do we start! No players are happy at Carlton but seem to thrive and enjoy footy once they leave. It runs a lot more deeper then the coach and players! There is a very bad culture at this club that has been building for over 10 years now. What can we do? Nothing at all. No one knows the problem but the club keeps thinking money will change it! As members all we can do is sit back and cop it. The club have nowhere to go to look for confidence EVERY media person thrives on our suffering and and the pot shots and the put downs are all around us for the club and players to see. This is one of the worst periods in the clubs history and with more clubs more media it's going to be hard to get out of it. Where do we turn? What can we change? We have nothing left.

We are Carlton , **** the rest !! ...

Take those cups out of the foyer at Princes Park and put them in storage.

Need to stop looking back, leave that to the past players and coterie group circle jerks.

Got to be lean, hungry and ruthless. This club is still pissed on it's past glories.

Even worse we have "robo" players while Robbo kicks 3, Waite 2, Garlett 3 and Eddie 6.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back