Bottoms Up

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened to our preseason optimism? It has vanished that quickly it's scary.

From preseason, to the nab, to this? I can't believe it.

I honestly could not see this coming.

I thought we were on the up.

:(

What happened to our preseason optimism? It has vanished that quickly it's scary.

From preseason, to the nab, to this? I can't believe it.

I honestly could not see this coming.

I thought we were on the up.

:(

Don't feel bad that you thought things were on the way up.

Feel bad that you have been lied to.

That superiority complex can finally be eradicated, and reality will set. Some of the fine moral stories we have learnt thus far:
1. Don't trade your only forwards or let them walk for nothing (Betts, Garlett, Waite...);
2. Don't delist your quality backmen (Laidler);
3. Don't throw the kitchen sinks at players (or a coach) you perceive to be the panacea to your woes, despite their being questions marks on their fitness (or capacity to do the job in the best interests of the club (Thomas, Malthouse); and
4. Don't bring in spuds to fill critical positions within your lineup (Jones).

I guess in all of this misery, solace can be found in a hopefully successful WADA appeal.

How many threads do we need putting s**t on everything associated with Carlton? I'm getting a little angry.

Feel free to speak glowingly of anything you like. You're not going to change the general mood of the moment by being angry about other people being angry. All you can do is contribute something different or step away until you feel better. Swings and roundabouts and all forums find their settling point according to where things sit for the majority.

Weird thread to take issue with though. The whole point is to highlight the difference in just 30 games and it had no specific target.

I find it kind of ironic that Mick wanted the type of players who he could plug in on the field and who would play their role and position precisely as prescribed... as though they were robotic in nature. Now he's complaining about having robots.

If you build it, he will come.

Last edited:
How many threads do we need putting s**t on everything associated with Carlton? I'm getting a little angry.
D minus who is usually a quality poster seems to have taken over the night-shift for the Camel Humper.

Feel free to speak glowingly of anything you like. You're not going to change the general mood of the moment by being angry about other people being angry. All you can do is contribute something different or step away until you feel better. Swings and roundabouts and all forums find their settling point according to where things sit for the majority.

Weird thread to take issue with though. The whole point is to highlight the difference in just 30 games and it had no specific target.
You're right.

I have been totally optimistic about the future since the team started winning regularly from 2008 onwards. Even now I can't give up on this coach and the playing list.

It's easy to see why there is a stark difference between what has occurred this season and that beautiful day in September 2013. We've let a group of players leave the club who are clearly better than those currently on our list. Matty Kreuzer has played one senior game since that day. Father Time caught up with the likes of Heath Scotland and Nick Duigan.

There appears to have been a perception of a culture deficit. I would have thought that the best way to create a winning culture is by winning more games than you lose. The leadership group made a statement and we dumped Mitch and Jeffy. I would rather the leadership group make a statement out on the footy ground. Robinson, for all his faults, was our fiercest competitor. A quality that would be pretty handy at this stage. Garlett kicked goals. He had an awful season last year but appears OK now. Waite and Betts. I say offer them what they want. With Betts it would have paid off. It shits me that commentators rabbit on about him being the best small forward in the game as if we didn't know. Waite. He wanted two years guaranteed. 12 months seems to be a small price.

The leadership group hasn't set the world on fire this year. Maybe they're having second thoughts about their actions. A guilt ridden spate of poor form. Maybe the fabric of the group has been torn when they've seen teammates let go who could still contribute to the team.

All I know now is I feel like I'm sitting in a section at Docklands or the 'G with the worst Carlton supporters imaginable. The ones that never stop whining. I can see what's happening. I don't need to hear it again and again.

You're right.

I have been totally optimistic about the future since the team started winning regularly from 2008 onwards. Even now I can't give up on this coach and the playing list.

It's easy to see why there is a stark difference between what has occurred this season and that beautiful day in September 2013. We've let a group of players leave the club who are clearly better than those currently on our list. Matty Kreuzer has played one senior game since that day. Father Time caught up with the likes of Heath Scotland and Nick Duigan.

There appears to have been a perception of a culture deficit. I would have thought that the best way to create a winning culture is by winning more games than you lose. The leadership group made a statement and we dumped Mitch and Jeffy. I would rather the leadership group make a statement out on the footy ground. Robinson, for all his faults, was our fiercest competitor. A quality that would be pretty handy at this stage. Garlett kicked goals. He had an awful season last year but appears OK now. Waite and Betts. I say offer them what they want. With Betts it would have paid off. It shits me that commentators rabbit on about him being the best small forward in the game as if we didn't know. Waite. He wanted two years guaranteed. 12 months seems to be a small price.

The leadership group hasn't set the world on fire this year. Maybe they're having second thoughts about their actions. A guilt ridden spate of poor form. Maybe the fabric of the group has been torn when they've seen teammates let go who could still contribute to the team.

All I know now is I feel like I'm sitting in a section at Docklands or the 'G with the worst Carlton supporters imaginable. The ones that never stop whining. I can see what's happening. I don't need to hear it again and again.

You make a really good point about the leadership group standing a stand against poor culture. It just feels like hypocrisy now when they force out players who aren't professional off field, when they themselves are not professional on field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longtime - 40+ year member - Collingwood fan to me yesterday "Now you know how we felt in 2004 and 2005. It was just that we got to a higher point before that than we should have and you never."

Perhaps he's right.

What's the chances of Lucas coming good?

Tore it up in 5 of 7 games in the WAFL, at least statistically. Not sure how much game time he got in the other two because they look threadbare if he played the whole game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back