Bottoms Up

Remove this Banner Ad

Every Carlton supporter I've spoken to in the past 24-hours seems to be of similar thought.

They are all angry, deflated & frustrated at the current state of the club and team but they also know that there is not a lot they can do to change that situation.

Not turning up to games is a good start. Only 16k at the game on Saturday.

Nah we will beat Hawthorn in round 23 whilst they rest all of their players before finals and we will lose the opportunity to draft Weitering.....

Bookmark it !!

Oh boy, its so frustrating reading comments from Carlton supporters thinking that snaring the top draft pick and other picks will be the thing that saves us.

That is the exact same attitude we had when we snared our three number 1 draft picks, yet not even 5 years after that we find ourselves back at the bottom of the ladder hoping that the next crop of high draft picks will be different.

Let us just try to win as many games as we can. if we miss out on the best draft picks then so be it.
Winning games of footy is what builds culture, trying your hardest to win every game of footy is what ultimately will pull us up out of the ditch we are in, not a bunch of the latest talent that will inevitably end up the same way that out last crop of the latest talent did.

Oh boy, its so frustrating reading comments from Carlton supporters thinking that snaring the top draft pick and other picks will be the thing that saves us.

That is the exact same attitude we had when we snared our three number 1 draft picks, yet not even 5 years after that we find ourselves back at the bottom of the ladder hoping that the next crop of high draft picks will be different.

Let us just try to win as many games as we can. if we miss out on the best draft picks then so be it.
Winning games of footy is what builds culture, trying your hardest to win every game of footy is what ultimately will pull us up out of the ditch we are in, not a bunch of the latest talent that will inevitably end up the same way that out last crop of the latest talent did.
Point me in the direction of where I said it would save us.....:rolleyes:

Getting decent young talent onto our list and decent young KPP talent will certainly help us as **** knows how we will get decent young KPP talent onto list if we dont bottom out !!

What's your solution, trade for some.... what do we trade to get them and who lets quality young KPP go these days for next to nothing in return ??

What other ideas do you have, draft them after they have already been selected before us....., nup, cant work.

What is your solution ??
Build the culture as much as you want and try as hard as you like but if you dont have the cattle to achieve anything great you end up being like Richmond for the next 25 bloody years !!

Snaring top end draft picks will help develop a better starting base, it will help.... wont save us but it is a starting point and then we implement the right culture and development from that point.

Also tell me how winning a few extra games this year and climbing to lets say 15th will improve our culture and pull us out of this ditch you speak of when half of this list wont be around going forward ??

Tell me how not getting a kid like Weitering will also help us ??

Well I'm going to the Carlton vs Crows game didn't end up going to the Brissy game because I was sick.

I had a rare moment of clarity at the game on Saturday. It was halfway through the 3rd quarter about the time GWS were inserting the second fist and the crowd number popped up on the screen. My two sons were sitting with me, the elder of the 2 was on Instagram telling me how many of his friends were laughing at him for a) barracking for Carlton and b) being at the game. So there I was sitting at a game where we were being humbled by a minnow in front of 16,000 odd people. By Christ how times have changed.

Being 43 I can divide my football life into 2 parts, the 20 years we were successful and the 20 years we have been a basket case. It struck me just how much this once proud club had fallen and dare I say it how irrelevant we have now become. Many laughed at St Kilda back when I was a lad at school but now that same laughter is directed at my son at school for the team he follows. It is a cold dark place where we are right now and it is hard to say how long it is going to take to fight back. We have lost a generation of supporters and from a membership perspective will continue to lag behind.

We are no longer feared and worse still are actually pitied by some other supporters.

The reality for me was sitting there in that vacant chasm of a ground was the club I grew up with bares no resemblance to the one that shares the same address.

I had a rare moment of clarity at the game on Saturday. It was halfway through the 3rd quarter about the time GWS were inserting the second fist and the crowd number popped up on the screen. My two sons were sitting with me, the elder of the 2 was on Instagram telling me how many of his friends were laughing at him for a) barracking for Carlton and b) being at the game. So there I was sitting at a game where we were being humbled by a minnow in front of 16,000 odd people. By Christ how times have changed.

Being 43 I can divide my football life into 2 parts, the 20 years we were successful and the 20 years we have been a basket case. It struck me just how much this once proud club had fallen and dare I say it how irrelevant we have now become. Many laughed at St Kilda back when I was a lad at school but now that same laughter is directed at my son at school for the team he follows. It is a cold dark place where we are right now and it is hard to say how long it is going to take to fight back. We have lost a generation of supporters and from a membership perspective will continue to lag behind.

We are no longer feared and worse still are actually pitied by some other supporters.

The reality for me was sitting there in that vacant chasm of a ground was the club I grew up with bares no resemblance to the one that shares the same address.

I know how your son feels. I was in high school during the years of our salary cap punishments :(
I wish I could say 'tell him it gets better'...but it hasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps and doc are worth watching.

I'm excited about SOS and rice, and whoever we get with our pick (top 3).

That's it, it's not much but it's something.

Point me in the direction of where I said it would save us.....:rolleyes:

Getting decent young talent onto our list and decent young KPP talent will certainly help us as **** knows how we will get decent young KPP talent onto list if we dont bottom out !!

What's your solution, trade for some.... what do we trade to get them and who lets quality young KPP go these days for next to nothing in return ??

What other ideas do you have, draft them after they have already been selected before us....., nup, cant work.

What is your solution ??
Build the culture as much as you want and try as hard as you like but if you dont have the cattle to achieve anything great you end up being like Richmond for the next 25 bloody years !!

Snaring top end draft picks will help develop a better starting base, it will help.... wont save us but it is a starting point and then we implement the right culture and development from that point.

Also tell me how winning a few extra games this year and climbing to lets say 15th will improve our culture and pull us out of this ditch you speak of when half of this list wont be around going forward ??

Tell me how not getting a kid like Weitering will also help us ??

I'm not saying that getting first choice at the young players coming through the draft wouldn't be a good thing for an AFL list in future, but it's not like we haven't had those first choices in the past, and where did they get us?

I look at our three number 1 draft picks and then I compare them to the other elite players in the comp who were take at higher picks, and then I wonder why they have performed way better than our picks.
The fact is that we can have access to all the best talent in the land, but if the team culture is not one where you strive to win every game no matter if you think better picks in the draft will help you, then no young talent you get will fulfil their potential in that environment and culture.

Look, we can't keep hanging our hats on the draft and getting the best picks possible, turning around our club will come when the club accepts that it can take a pick 20 and make him a star with the right development.
Development and culture is way more important than which number you get, as you can see with our three number one picks and not too mention Watts from melbourne, who have all failed to live up to the expectations that the draft system said they had.

Okay so I am an ideas man.

Just thought I would fire start this and see where it heads. We are at an all time low but we all know how quickly GWS have been able to build through all the draft concessions. Why don't we volunteer to 'relocate' to Melton or one of those far flung outer western suburbs and re brand as the Greater Western Blues. We get a raft of early picks over the next 3 years and before we know it we are back where we belong only this time with the slight stench of the Werribee sewerage farms??

Rumour on radio yesterday that 1 of our veterans & BF winners will retire and train to become an umpire.....

Can only be Carrazzo or Simpson as I would doubt Judd will do this !!

I reckon that would be Carrazzo, his contract expires at the end of this season, Simpson still has another year to run and may want to go around one more time.

Okay so I am an ideas man.

Just thought I would fire start this and see where it heads. We are at an all time low but we all know how quickly GWS have been able to build through all the draft concessions. Why don't we volunteer to 'relocate' to Melton or one of those far flung outer western suburbs and re brand as the Greater Western Blues. We get a raft of early picks over the next 3 years and before we know it we are back where we belong only this time with the slight stench of the Werribee sewerage farms??
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Not what I meant. The ball would be coming towards him and he would throw himself at the ball of block the person (like he always does). I just think he wouldn't get out of the way of the ball. I know this sentence doesn't make much sense but I know what I mean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back