Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Have to say that his kicking has improved. Looked good as he did for Box Hill all year last year. IF he plays the first two rounds he will be thrown right into the deep end. Sink or Swim? I suspect they may go with experience for the first two games but if he keeps performing you would have to consider him. Either way its a good start to his career at Hawthorn :thumbsu:

I have always been a fan of the sink/swim. It is not without merit playing Boumann in the first four games just to see what we have got. The guy is 22 and it is his third or fourth year on an AFL list. It does not look as though Gilham will be available early on so a vacancy exists.

Hawk43

All Australian
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of his most important strengths from the weekend was his decision making under pressure, that part of it doesn't matter if we're playing GWS or collingwood, the ability to hit a target while under pressure was unbelievable. Very optimistic about him for this year, i reckon by the end of the year he'll be our most important tall defender.

I agree with most that Boumann had an excellent game, but I am a bit surprised by the level of support for him to be automatically in the 22:eek:

I agree that he has earnt a chance to show his wares against the Dees and beyond and should be given a fair chance to make the round 1 team. However, my feeling is that he will only make our best team if he can essentially become our chief negator of the opponent's key forward.

At this stage he has shown good form at Box Hill by all reports and did well against GWS in this role. He played against an absolute novice, who in the second half managed to grab a few contested marks (admittedly only one was definitely with Boumann as his oppontent).

I wish him the best and hopes he absolutely blows the Dees away this week, but until he has shown himself against a decent forwardline, I won't be putting him in my best 22 just yet.

Having said all that, I will be ecstatic if he does force his way in, as this is the position we really need filled!!!!

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I suppose ACT that the alternatives are Schoey or Gilham.

Schoey has struggled at times and some would feel he has been better across half forward than down back.

Whilst Gilham has some blinded advocates (yes some poster identified him as one of the best spoilers in the entire league), a number of us are also concerned about his one-on-one ability, particularly when isolated with the ball in the air against big forwards.

I'd start with Buddy, Hale and Gunston up forward and Gibbo, Stratts and Schoey down back, with Boumann next line, ahead of Gilham.

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of his most important strengths from the weekend was his decision making under pressure, that part of it doesn't matter if we're playing GWS or collingwood, the ability to hit a target while under pressure was unbelievable. Very optimistic about him for this year, i reckon by the end of the year he'll be our most important tall defender.

If we had a full side in we would have won by around 150. He was under very little pressure.

cs61

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Land of the Rising Sun
AFL Club
Hawthorn
But you don't ignore all evidence just because of the opposition.

Talent scounts don't not take players from lesser leagues just because their opponents are weak. You are still able to look at the traits of player and say "he's got something" regardless of who is out there on the day. You need to be able to weigh it considering who they are playing, but you also need to consider that he will have Stratton, Gibson, Birchall around him, and any of Shoe, Hodge, Burger, Murphy, Gilham etc at times too. He's gonna get a lot of help from our zoning defenders, with his aim at being able to get up high and go for the spoil when its his turn.

You absolutely need to put what he did in perspective, but Boumann has certainly shown he is in the mix for round one there is no doubt about that. Its not particularly difficult to say he needs to keep that sort of form up against Melbourne to really stamp his claims. But you just look at his natural straits, his actual performance and his composure on the weekend and it absolutely shows that he looks like he could be a real option this year.

Boumann is also unique to our list, just that bit taller with nice long arms to get up for a high spoil, a massive weakness of ours. We drafted him for a specific reason as a mature player to come in and play a role for our side. So while it was on GWS, we certainly got a glance at the reasoning for his drafting, and can see straight away that he is a real chance to get in to our side if he can keep up some form for the duration of the pre-season.

Hodges

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
Good post. Definitely agree that we need to temper expectations given the opposition, but honestly he couldn't have done more right. He has such an explosive leap, he never looked out of the contest. Biggest surprise for me was his field kicking - not just the fact that he was hitting every target, it was more the quickness of his decision making that impressed me. Hopefully he backs it up with a good performance against the Dees, do that and he is right in the mix for round 1.

Bpoumann looked good, no doubting that. That being said, it was one game against a young GWS side so I'm not getting carried away. I really hope the club plays him Saturday against the Dees, it'll be a far greater test for him and should give us a better look at what he can do.

If he plays and plays well this week then I'd definitely have him looming as a chance to be in our 22 come round 1. I don't expect Gilham to play round 1 as he hasn't had any match practice thus far.

But you don't ignore all evidence just because of the opposition.

Talent scounts don't not take players from lesser leagues just because their opponents are weak. You are still able to look at the traits of player and say "he's got something" regardless of who is out there on the day. You need to be able to weigh it considering who they are playing, but you also need to consider that he will have Stratton, Gibson, Birchall around him, and any of Shoe, Hodge, Burger, Murphy, Gilham etc at times too. He's gonna get a lot of help from our zoning defenders, with his aim at being able to get up high and go for the spoil when its his turn.

You absolutely need to put what he did in perspective, but Boumann has certainly shown he is in the mix for round one there is no doubt about that. Its not particularly difficult to say he needs to keep that sort of form up against Melbourne to really stamp his claims. But you just look at his natural straits, his actual performance and his composure on the weekend and it absolutely shows that he looks like he could be a real option this year.

Boumann is also unique to our list, just that bit taller with nice long arms to get up for a high spoil, a massive weakness of ours. We drafted him for a specific reason as a mature player to come in and play a role for our side. So while it was on GWS, we certainly got a glance at the reasoning for his drafting, and can see straight away that he is a real chance to get in to our side if he can keep up some form for the duration of the pre-season.

i hear what you are saying CS, but I wonder if people are seeing more in his performance because of the bolded bit above and that if he comes off it will add so much to our overall claims.

Like I said I hope he does keep proving himself as he would add a lot, but similarly I don't want to burden the lad with huge expectations based on one game against a player with two pre-season AFL games experience (and one season in a Canberra/Sydney regional comp).

As you say, we shouldn't discount the performance completely because the oppo wasn't the best, but you also can't put as much value on that as if he had done the same thing against a Mitch Clarke from Melbourne or even better a Cloke from the Pies.

I am not ruling him out, but just want to keep the lid on it for the moment.

One last point, I don't think the fact he is 22 should be read as the club see him as a first teamer this year. He could still take a couple of years to reach his peak and it may be (and I am not saying it as an absolute) that we got him purely as back-up in case Gilham doesn't get back or Shoey step up to the plate. Not everyone on the list can be a success, as there are only 22 spots in the team, and the rest are not all there purely for development.

Mar 23, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Boumann looked good, no doubting that. That being said, it was one game against a young GWS side so I'm not getting carried away.

And yet Baz, in the same game, 89 game superstar and BigFooty Hawk lovechild, Tom Murphy, was made to look very, very average.

;)

spotthedot

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2006
scarborough
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
subi - wafl
And yet Baz, in the same game, 89 game superstar and BigFooty Hawk lovechild, Tom Murphy, was made to look very, very average.

;)

absolute gold C-L-A!
he has been very very average...in my view, he has well and truly been overtaken by cheney...as long as clarko can see through his 'i love murph' glasses!

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I agree with most that Boumann had an excellent game, but I am a bit surprised by the level of support for him to be automatically in the 22:eek:

I agree that he has earnt a chance to show his wares against the Dees and beyond and should be given a fair chance to make the round 1 team. However, my feeling is that he will only make our best team if he can essentially become our chief negator of the opponent's key forward.....

There is only one way of finding out if he is up to it.

Am hope'n like hell he will line up on Clarke , if he does we will get a good idea on his ability to step in for rd1 , as iv said else where HE'S READY IMO , but a good showing will seal the deal , won't it .....??
Goo (183 ).. Gilham (192) ..Gibson(189)
Birch(193)..Bouman(197) ...Stratt's(189)
Look's solid to me by mid year !!

I agree that he has earnt a chance to show his wares against the Dees and beyond and should be given a fair chance to make the round 1 team. However, my feeling is that he will only make our best team if he can essentially become our chief negator of the opponent's key forward.

At this stage he has shown good form at Box Hill by all reports and did well against GWS in this role. He played against an absolute novice, who in the second half managed to grab a few contested marks (admittedly only one was definitely with Boumann as his oppontent).

I wish him the best and hopes he absolutely blows the Dees away this week, but until he has shown himself against a decent forwardline, I won't be putting him in my best 22 just yet.

Having said all that, I will be ecstatic if he does force his way in, as this is the position we really need filled!!!!
You would be suprised just how long the Hawks have been grooming him for AH....;) Remeber we gave up plenty for him .......there was a reason for that !!

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Am hope'n like hell he will line up on Clarke , if he does we will get a good idea on his ability to step in for rd1 , as iv said else where HE'S READY IMO , but a good showing will seal the deal , won't it .....??
Goo (183 ).. Gilham (192) ..Gibson(189)
Birch(193)..Bouman(197) ...Stratt's(189)
Look's solid to me by mid year !!

Not sure Gilham will be ready so I'd go with this backline :thumbsu:

Goo (183 ).. Bouman(197) .........Gibson(189)
Birch(193).. Shoenmakers (193) .Stratt's(189)

Not sure Gilham will be ready so I'd go with this backline :thumbsu:

Goo (183 ).. Bouman(197) .........Gibson(189)
Birch(193).. Shoenmakers (193) .Stratt's(189)

Stratton (189)....... Boumann (197)........... Gibson (189)

Burgoyne (186).. Schoenmakers (193)........ Birchall (193)

Can Stratton play small? Small enough to replace Guerra at 183cm? He likely matches Guerra for pace, but probably not acceleration...

I still think we need a small & not at the expense of Burgoyne. I guess a lot will depend on how quick Boumann can run.

It's possible Dasher, Brishawk and Brant are all correct. If Gilham fires up by mid-year as Dasher suggests, then it may come to pass he claims FB. Schoey a starter from round 1 in the meantime. I can see Silk playing down back with Gibbo playing the role of the extra man, adding another presence to aerial contests by going the big spoil as 3rd man up. Here comes the boooom!!

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Stratton (189)....... Boumann (197)........... Gibson (189)

Burgoyne (186).. Schoenmakers (193)........ Birchall (193)

Can Stratton play small? Small enough to replace Guerra at 183cm? He likely matches Guerra for pace, but probably not acceleration...

I still think we need a small & not at the expense of Burgoyne. I guess a lot will depend on how quick Boumann can run.

Boumann is quick. That is not in doubt. The doubts are on his ability to compete body to body with a big forward.

Mar 23, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
If by 'Bigfooty love child' you mean 'gets slagged from pillar to post for a few mistakes', then definitely Schoenmakers is definitely it.

I think people have warmed to Schoey over this pre-season. Although a few still have doubts, most posters seem to have been complimentary of his performances at both ends of the ground and deservedly so.

Hoping he gets picked for Saturday and has another good game.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
Any merit in giving Andrew Boseley some game time, draft as a 19 year old key defender (192cm). SSHH reckons all bar Woodward are healthy. Worth a shot at the likes of Howe or Watts this week I would have thought. Perhaps rest Shoenmakers after two pretty good performances.

Any merit in giving Andrew Boseley some game time, draft as a 19 year old key defender (192cm). SSHH reckons all bar Woodward are healthy. Worth a shot at the likes of Howe or Watts this week I would have thought. Perhaps rest Shoenmakers after two pretty good performances.

Boseley has missed out this week, but Jordan Kelly has been named, along with Boumann. I expect that with no Gilham named, Boumann will play full back probably on Mitch Clark.

Back