Box Hill Practice Matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a bit surprised we didn't have many Hawks listed players running around - where were Heatherley, Litherland, Hallahan, Spangher, Ceglar, Langford, Duryea & Cheney?

My guess they will play on Saturday vs Melbourne, they are right on the fringe.

Some pretty impressive retention of players at BHH. The BHH mosquitoes squad showed their worth last year and to a man most are back. Isles, Murphy, Andrews, Lawler, O'Donnell, Wood and Cust are all quality VFL players. For mine Wood is the most likely to progress to AFL.

I can not emphasise this enough. Grimmers... mate... stick to the basics lead, mark kick goal... served a certain Jason Dunstall very well. Trying to show off your athletic ability everytime you hit the contest just makes you look like a fool when you don't get near the ball or take a mark that should be easy look difficult. A point in case where grimmers lead upto the ball and it was chest height and he nearly jumped at it as it approached him(nearly through my water bottle down). I tell you what he nearly did and would have been attempting to mark the thing around his knees / ankles when it was aimed at his chest.

Woody as has been mentioned got a LOT of the ball was everywhere especially early. So much so that he was paid a lot more attention in the second half. The good news his disposal and decision making improved as the game wore on. Its just dusting the cobwebs out. I look forward to the next game he plays. He is the inside mid we are looking for stay on the park and he WILL be pusing for selection.

Brand in defence was impressive. Showed a lot more confidence in contesting and running off his opponent.

There is a reason why we got Ross. Similar to simpkin he provides us with a ready made option. Knows how to defend and is a good tackler.

Speaking of good tacklers the young boy from Tasmania Zach webster is something else a bit rough around the edges but saw quite a bit that we can work with. He goes in hard, a good tackler, and has good turn of pace.

Young billy had a couple of gallops around the oval today. He was like a young stud in a new paddock a bit nervous of what to expect not knowing what he can do and not fully exploiting his capabilities. He needs game time to make him the galloper we want him to be.

Not much to say really a poor standard game and just about everyone was glad when the final siren went.
Some pretty impressive retention of players at BHH. The BHH mosquitoes squad showed their worth last year and to a man most are back. Isles, Murphy, Andrews, Lawler, O'Donnell, Wood and Cust are all quality VFL players. For mine Wood is the most likely to progress to AFL.
cust depending on age a chance for me.

Casey and BHH played a 6 quarter game with about 5 rotations in the 3rd and 4th quarters and about 15 in the 5th quarter. Heatherley [solid], Woodward and Webster [both very good except from some poor disposals due to not yet adjusting to the pace of the game], Hartung [some good run and carry], Sicily [some good signs with a couple of strong marks], Duryea [very good], Brand [very good first half], Grimley [competed hard but hot and cold], Kelly [solid and good defensively], Litherland [good], Ross [read the game well and provided a solid option] Willsmore [showed a little] Ceglar [took some good marks and effective in the ruck] and Lowden [some very good second and third physical efforts and strong marking plus good in the ruck].

BHH v Casey scores. In the first half [3 quarters] Casey kicked the first 3 goals, BHH the next 4 goals and Casey the last 5 goals. BHH 2.3.15 Casey 3.2.20; 4.11.35 / 4.3.27; 4.15.39 / 8.5.53. Kicking cost us the game. In the second half [3 quarters] senior premiership players Mirra and Murphy played and were very good. BHH dominated the game in the first quarter and then Casey worked hard to shut down the game. BHH 8.5.53 Casey 1.0.6; 11.7.73 / 1.0.6; 12.9.81 / 1.0.6. A dominant display.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ceglar: Played a half of football before being subbed out of the game. Thought his rucking was average but his contested marking was absolutely top notch. Kicked one goal (hardish set shot) and a few behinds from relatively easy set shots and always presented really well down the line. 7.5/10

Woodward:Just knows how to get the footy, plain and simple. Reads the taps well, positions himself great around the ground and is strong in the air for someone of his size. Disposal by foot still needs work for mine but his work in and around contests is very good. Only played a half before being subbed. 8/10

Lowden: Thought he was the best tap ruckman on the ground by a mile. Threw his body around and took some solid contested grabs around the ground only to really let himself down with his kicking, particularly at goal. Could have kicked 3-4 pretty basic goals but instead kicked 4 behinds. Yips/confidence issues stemming from last years VFL GF it seems... Played a full game 7/10

Duryea: Really hard at it which I like but seemed to float in and out of the game. First time I've seen him this preseason so perhaps just dusting off a few cobwebs... Played a full game. 6/10

Grimley:
Seemed frustrated today. Has enormous athletic ability but seems to mis-time his jumps or try and jump over 2-3 defenders in a contest. Reckon he looks so much better when he's leading hard at the ball in a straight line as he sticks his hands well out in front and can clunk them at full pace. Played more in the ruck during the second half and looked a little better. Played a full game 6/10

Kelly:
Just a really solid player. Doesn't do much wrong and always seems to go about his business with no fuss. Seems to have trimmed down a lot from last year and has a bit more run in his legs, particularly off half-back. Played a full game 7/10

Hartung:
Kid can run that's for sure. Really pleased with his work ethic. Didn't think he got a great deal of the ball but was always hanging around the contests and generally disposed of it well. Another solid outing for him. Played a full game 6.5/10

I don't really know what the new draftees look like or anything so can't really comment on them I'm sorry.

We ended up losing for the day kicking a measly 4 goals and 15 behinds before they reset the scores at 3qrtr time (of a 6qrtr match) which is pretty bloody disappointing to be honest. Had a chat to Shem who is currently in the rehab group. Said he was around 3 weeks away from playing and is enjoying his time at the club. Really nice friendly guy

Thanks BB. Only stuck around for one quarter.
Heatherley - got caught out a few times in misreading the ball. That wind was tricky and this is where his lack of experience hurts.
Love the speed and chasing of Webster. Ceglar's marking is really coming along. He took a ripper of a pack mark in the back pocket. Woody simply needs a heap of game time. Hunts the ball well but the rest of his game seemed loose. Brand was going well, developing nicely.

Casey and BHH played a 6 quarter game with about 5 rotations in the 3rd and 4th quarters and about 15 in the 5th quarter. Heatherley [solid], Woodward and Webster [both very good except from some poor disposals due to not yet adjusting to the pace of the game], Hartung [some good run and carry], Sicily [some good signs with a couple of strong marks], Duryea [very good], Brand [very good first half], Grimley [competed hard but hot and cold], Kelly [solid and good defensively], Litherland [good], Ross [read the game well and provided a solid option] Willsmore [showed a little] Ceglar [took some good marks and effective in the ruck] and Lowden [some very good second and third physical efforts and strong marking plus good in the ruck].

BHH v Casey scores. In the first half [3 quarters] Casey kicked the first 3 goals, BHH the next 4 goals and Casey the last 5 goals. BHH 2.3.15 Casey 3.2.20; 4.11.35 / 4.3.27; 4.15.39 / 8.5.53. Kicking cost us the game. In the second half [3 quarters] senior premiership players Mirra and Murphy played and were very good. BHH dominated the game in the first quarter and then Casey worked hard to shut down the game. BHH 8.5.53 Casey 1.0.6; 11.7.73 / 1.0.6; 12.9.81 / 1.0.6. A dominant display.
So we lost the first 3 quarters and won the last 3 quarters :thumbsu:

I should rephrase. I wouldn't expect any players who have played some form of NAB to participate. The rest though should be playing. Don't know about Schoey though... Reckon he's still got a couple of weeks to go. No rush with him

I should rephrase. I wouldn't expect any players who have played some form of NAB to participate. The rest though should be playing. Don't know about Schoey though... Reckon he's still got a couple of weeks to go. No rush with him

Thanks. I was basing my comment on something Chris Fagan said a few weeks ago about Schoey getting a run in a Box Hill practice match and as this is the last one I assumed it would be this one. Hmm, am getting a bit worried about Schoey, that Toovey bloke from Collingwood is playing this week and he did his ACL after Schoey :confused: (mild case of panic setting in o_O ... )

Thanks. I was basing my comment on something Chris Fagan said a few weeks ago about Schoey getting a run in a Box Hill practice match and as this is the last one I assumed it would be this one. Hmm, am getting a bit worried about Schoey, that Toovey bloke from Collingwood is playing this week and he did his ACL after Schoey :confused: (mild case of panic setting in o_O ... )
Schoeys on track we don't need to rush him we are trying to give him the whole 12 months remember he did his knee in round 4. No need to panic ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back